• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Who died so we could vote?

harpsman

Just heard somebody on radio sayin people fought and died so we could have the right to vote.
Just wondering who he was talkin about.I can think of the people who fought Hitler and that bird that jumped in front of the kings horse.

Anyone else?

dizillusioned

Just heard somebody on radio sayin people fought and died so we could have the right to vote.
Just wondering who he was talkin about.I can think of the people who fought Hitler and that bird that jumped in front of the kings horse.

Anyone else?
My Granny?

harshreality

Oops sorry, misread the title.

Thought it said 'Lied so we could vote' how disappointing!

Ryan Tubbs

I thought the very same thing. The direct implication is that the lads in the GPO, or the Old IRA died to get us the vote - ignoring the small fact that there was virtual universal suffrage at that point.

Astral Peaks

Anyone else?
Wat Tyler?

RobertW

Imagine dying so others could vote for Charles Haughey or Bertie Ahern.

ManInTheArena

I thought the very same thing. The direct implication is that the lads in the GPO, or the Old IRA died to get us the vote - ignoring the small fact that there was virtual universal suffrage at that point.
I once pointed this out to an obnoxious "all four of my great-grandads died in the GPO so you people could vote" type in a bar. It didn't end well.

Astral Peaks

Imagine dying so others could vote for Charles Haughey or Bertie Ahern.
Or Michael Lowry or Michael Keating or Liam Cosgrave Jnr or Angus Snoddy.....(rinse and repeat for ever..)

Eire1976

Anyone else?
Maybe they should have clarified, vote to Dail Eireann.

JohnD66

Not so. Before 1918 only 30% of adult males, or c. 15% of the total adult population had the vote.

There wasn't universal suffrage in Ireland until 1923. Though to be fair this is all true in UK as well.

L'Chaim

I know that women got the right to vote in 1918 to vote in general elections. Though that might have had something to do with the change in UK law. Not sure if any Irish women died so other Irish women could get the vote. Don't know when men were given the right to vote and I never heard of irishmen dying for that specific cause, though maybe it was part of another cause.

I think this could turn into a very interesting thread

parentheses

I heard that comment too and it jarred for a second. But what he actually said was " so we could have the right to vote in our own country", implying that we could vote in an independent country. At least thats my understanding of the comment.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.

Anyone else?
I trust the OP is not insinuating that we should move (very swiftly) away from Civil War politics. Fine Fail+Fianna Gael just love the ol' palaver about those 'who died for Ireland' (eg: Bank of Ireland) spin as it is dragged up on every occasion when they may be voted away from the trough of stupidity and greed.

Pity some of them would'nt die for Ireland themselves if they are so bluddy patriotic.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies