• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Who do gay Loyalists vote for?

CookieMonster

Déise said:
Given that the DUP, and to a lesser extent the UUP, are anti gay, just who do gay Loyalists vote for?
*tries to think up a witty "queen" joke*

johnfás

There's been quite a few senior gay loyalists if memory serves me correctly wasn't there a rumour that Johnny Adair had been in a relationship with a man?

I presume most of them don't vote and those that do vote for the PUP.

returning officer

Given that equality rights are well protected under the GFA, British and EU law, I suspect that the sexuality of voters does not rank that highly as a reason to vote for or against a political party there or elsehwere (there for example many gay Republican groups in the US). By no means a fair comparison, but most of the gay people I know vote FF, although Labour would be percieved as the most gay friendly party (followed perhaps by SF and Greens).

CookieMonster

Déise said:
[quote="returning officer":fyymez3i]Given that equality rights are well protected under the GFA, British and EU law, I suspect that the sexuality of voters does not rank that highly as a reason to vote for or against a political party there or elsehwere (there for example many gay Republican groups in the US). By no means a fair comparison, but most of the gay people I know vote FF, although Labour would be percieved as the most gay friendly party (followed perhaps by SF and Greens).
In fairness though, no party in the Republic comes up with the same anti gay stuff as Iris Robinson. I imagine many gay people wouldn't want to vote for her even if they are very Loyalist.[/quote:fyymez3i]

I'm not sure that would be based on her gay hatin' but more on the fact that she's a complete tool.

realistic1

I am sure the would not go wrong with the SDLP because this political party has shown nothing but loyalty to the UK since their foundation.

returning officer

Déise said:
realistic1 said:
I am sure the would not go wrong with the SDLP because this political party has shown nothing but loyalty to the UK since their foundation.
I suppose they might go for Alliance first. They are basically the Lib Dems of the North I think.
But why attach greater significance to the sexuality of a voter, than their political convictions simply on the basis that they are gay? There is no evidence anywhere of a gay block (bloke?) vote, why should it be any different in the highly regulated/equality protected Nothern statelet?

realistic1

Déise said:
realistic1 said:
I suppose they might go for Alliance first. They are basically the Lib Dems of the North I think.
Your right, I forgot about that shower.

Jargongrad

returning officer said:
[quote="Déise":23gdsh0y]
realistic1 said:
But why attach greater significance to the sexuality of a voter, than their political convictions simply on the basis that they are gay? There is no evidence anywhere of a gay block (bloke?) vote, why should it be any different in the highly regulated/equality protected Nothern statelet?[/quote:23gdsh0y]

I think the point was raised because of the constant anti-gay rubbish coming from Iris Robinson and baby Paisley in the last 6 months. Alliance would probably be the choice of somebody who felt so strongly about the issue.

Bobert

CookieMonster said:
Déise said:
Given that the DUP, and to a lesser extent the UUP, are anti gay, just who do gay Loyalists vote for?

They vote for Freddie Mercury of course!

CookieMonster

Bobert said:
CookieMonster said:
Déise said:

They vote for Freddie Mercury of course!

st333ve

Wasnt King Billy gay?
I mean the real one, not the one from the Orange fictional religious war against the Irish catholics that loyalists celebrate.

returning officer

Jargongrad said:
returning officer said:
[quote="Déise":2ki8ovq7]
realistic1 said:
But why attach greater significance to the sexuality of a voter, than their political convictions simply on the basis that they are gay? There is no evidence anywhere of a gay block (bloke?) vote, why should it be any different in the highly regulated/equality protected Nothern statelet?
I think the point was raised because of the constant anti-gay rubbish coming from Iris Robinson and baby Paisley in the last 6 months. Alliance would probably be the choice of somebody who felt so strongly about the issue.[/quote:2ki8ovq7]

Surely the political point which a loyalist would feel more strongly about would be union with the rest of the United Kingdom, rather than the effects their choice of personal unions? Gay right-wingers in the US, can put aside the religious-rights view of their sexuality, because a) the Supreme Court will protect their civil rights so it doesn't matter what the loons say and b) their political preference/viewpoint is less government intervention and low taxes.

There appears to be a naivity that gay people somehow attach a greater significance to their sexuality when it comes to their choice of vote than straight people, and that they ignore their own political convictions because there is someone in their party of choice who has bizarre views about their sexual preference. Would southern Irish gay people be put off FG because of the views of Brendan McGahern or Oliver J Flanagan or in the case of FF by Senator Walsh's recent motion.

There are some gay people who are obessive about their sexuality and that this defines them as people, they talk about equality when they mean they want gay quotas or redrafted school text books, they are members of gay branches of their party (if they have one) and accordigly make the most noise. But would it not make more sense, that the majority of gay people do not harp on constantly about their sexuality or that it is a relativly minor part of the political makeup (by way of example, if one accepts that there 2-3% of the population is gay 80,000 to 120,000 why do only 5,000 ever go to a Pride event, a) becasue they all are afraid of being noticed at it b) they smply couldn't be bothered because their sexulaity is an incidental attribute when it comes to the rest of their lives?)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies