Who do you think has been Ireland's greatest Taoiseach?

Who do you think has been Ireland's greatest Taoiseach?

• William T. Cosgrave

Votes: 86 14.5%
  • Eamon de Valera

Votes: 42 7.1%
  • John A. Costello

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • Sean Lemass

Votes: 224 37.8%
  • Jack Lynch

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • Liam Cosgrave

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • Charles J. Haughey

Votes: 18 3.0%
  • Garret Fitzgerald

Votes: 64 10.8%
  • Albert Reynolds

Votes: 29 4.9%
  • John Bruton

Votes: 35 5.9%
  • Bertie Ahern

Votes: 22 3.7%
  • Brian Cowen

Votes: 24 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Politics.ie is conducting a poll to see who you think has been Ireland's greatest Taoiseach.

We'd invite you to vote in our Politics.ie (if you're not a member, you can join for free by clicking here - it takes just a moment) and share your thoughts on who you voted for, and why.

spotty

I voted for Charlie. Because he was the most able, and reform minded. The fact that he was a charlatan doesn't bother me so much. Most politicians are.

MPB

Can we not just have a who was the worst? It would be lot more competitive.

just4ever

I voted for Charlie. Because he was the most able, and reform minded. The fact that he was a charlatan doesn't bother me so much. Most politicians are.
Thank you for displaying your ignorance so clearly.

sandar

I think haughey may well have been the cleverest and most politically able of the bunch, but his personal vanities and greed got in the way of him being an effective pubklic servant.
I think there are only two taoiseach have been significantly good., cosgrave the first and lemass.

The first Cosgarve saved democracy and establsihed the fledgling state as an indepedent entity and didnt misue the power he was granted.
Lemass treid top open the doors of reform

I have votedfor cosgarve, his problems were greater, his instincts better

rebelkell

Thats an easy one its clearly Jack Lynch
Sure he was a crap leader but he won 6 all ireland medals 6 years in a row
The others are just crap leaders who didn't do that

SideysGhost

Can we have a thread leading to a poll on "Greatest Taoiseach We Never Had"? (not necessarily limited to historical politicians either, maybe, just to liven it up a bit)

That one might be fun.

The list of options on this one is fairly depressing.

ifreannach

err, i abstain on grounds of their incompetence to perform their duties, wait they did perform their duty to their masters who unfortunately were not the irish people

and anyways who gives a fvck about any of them......all scum, dance on all their graves

Rep_of_pals

I would say DeValera. His longevity, keeping the right-left divide in check in the 30s, and keeping Ireland out of the war were his greatest accomplishments.

Aristodemus

I don't see how one can use the superlative "greatest". I have voted on the basis of the "least worst". Albert

rebelkell

I would say DeValera. His longevity, keeping the right-left divide in check in the 30s, and keeping Ireland out of the war were his greatest accomplishments.
And of course his condolences to the germans on the death of hitler not being too far unrelated to the anti semetic rantings that are all to common now in ireland

ifreannach

why isnt there an option for none? jeez this is why i dont do polls, always loaded

Skeptic Angel

W T Cosgrave was never Taoiseach. He was "President of the Executive Council" AFAIK. The office was taoiseach only came in with the 1937 constitution.

theoutsider

John A Costello for managing the ultimate rainbow gov. Lemass & WT would be up there and Albert was pragmatic in terms of the peace process but not the beef tribunal.

Rocky

W.T. Cosgrave. He had the hardest job of the lot and he pulled it off brilliantly. His government ran out of steam after 1927, but from 1922 to 1927 it was brilliant and achieved far more then any other government in far more difficult circumstances. If only we could have a man like him in charge today.

White Horse

For me it has to be WT Cosgrave. His government took over a lawess country that was decimated by the War Of Independence and being ravaged by a savage civil war. Out of those ruins a stable democracy was created that has stood the test of time.

I don't seek to diminish the contribution of his sucessors but no subsequent govenment has come close to the scale of this achievement.

New Threads

Most Replies