• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Who finances the RTE guide?

Ruff says Flaherty

I was in my local Tesco today when I noticed Michael Buble cheeseily grinning at me from the front of the RTE Guide on the shelf. A couple of thoughts came into my head;

1-Does anyone actually buy the RTE Guide anymore now that basically all digital TV receivers have a built in guide?

2-is it funded from the same pot as our licence fees go into?

I used to buy the Christmas edition, but didn't bother this year as I don't see any reason to. Does anyone here buy it every week, or does anyone buy it every week for that matter? If its operating at a loss, which I'd imagine it is, should it continue to be published?

Josip Broz

I was in my local Tesco today when I noticed Michael Buble cheeseily grinning at me from the front of the RTE Guide on the shelf. A couple of thoughts came into my head;

1-Does anyone actually buy the RTE Guide anymore now that basically all digital TV receivers have a built in guide?

2-is it funded from the same pot as our licence fees go into?

I used to buy the Christmas edition, but didn't bother this year as I don't see any reason to. Does anyone here buy it every week, or does anyone buy it every week for that matter? If its operating at a loss, which I'd imagine it is, should it continue to be published?
Who finances the RTE Guide? In short, you do.

Johnny Zordan

The RTE Guide is the biggest selling and most read magazine in the country according to RTE.

zippo222

RT Guide - Ireland's Largest Selling Magazine Now Online

[The RTÉ Guide is Ireland’s largest selling magazine with an ABC circulation figure of 87,561 (ABC 2009) and a readership figure of 588,000 (TGI 2010). It is a family focused lifestyle and entertainment weekly magazine with a full listing of all terrestrial and popular satellite channels. It has weekly updates on the latest movies, music and book releases and a very strong lifestyle section covering the latest trends in beauty, fashion and interiors. ...]

Eddie C

Retail sales + adverts I assume - it's among the biggest selling publications in the land, I think.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
jaysus that used to be one of the perks of christmas sitting down with the rte guide radio times and itv guide bumper editions and planning your viewing over the holidays

Eddie C

'........fifty seven channels and nothing on....' (Bruce Springstein)

Who's sold out (again!) his two Limerick and Cork gigs.

Ruff says Flaherty

RT Guide - Ireland's Largest Selling Magazine Now Online

[The RTÉ Guide is Ireland’s largest selling magazine with an ABC circulation figure of 87,561 (ABC 2009) and a readership figure of 588,000 (TGI 2010). It is a family focused lifestyle and entertainment weekly magazine with a full listing of all terrestrial and popular satellite channels. It has weekly updates on the latest movies, music and book releases and a very strong lifestyle section covering the latest trends in beauty, fashion and interiors. ...]
87,561 people a week buy it? What a precise number. It's kinda crap though isn't it? I mean a few articles, a few ads and then a third of it wasted on listings which you can get in more detail by pressing a button on your remote.

cricket

Knew someone involved in marketing side of construction industry years ago. RTE guide was far and away the best for reaching customers. Has probably changed since.

titmouse

As it more than likely makes a profit, its existence is probably making your licence fee less than what it would be.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
Haven't seen it for years. But I remember what Kimari talks about above. Nearly every house in the country had the Christmas edition.
to make me even more pathetic used to buy them when i had only rte1 just to see what i was missing

So far as I recall it's self-financing. It also must pay for the ads on RTE at a commercial rate. At least that was the way it worked in the past.

gerhard dengler

RTÉ commercial arm increases after-tax profits to

"The returns confirm that the circulation of the RTÉ Guide last year declined from 84,018 to 74,382 and "faced another challenging year in a particularly turbulent magazine market. Circulation sales fell in 2011 due to continuing market contractions at retail level and an overall decline consistent with the total print market."

Blossie

OK OK I admit it,I buy the RTE guide. The main reason I buy it is to do the crossword and I like some of the articles but I rarely read the actual tv listings.

Ruff says Flaherty

Tubridy, Miriam, and Rachael Allen must be on the cover at least twice a yar each?

Popular Threads

Most Replies