• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Who is Diarmaid Ó Cadhla?

sic transit

There's enough on the site to glean that he
a) Is not much of a government fan
b) Is not a fan of any political pary -liars all
d) Probably for Irish unity in some form
e) Probably speaks Irish
f) Blames the EU/IMF/troika/liars
g) Seems to like rebel songs
h) Wants to Do the Time Warp again

Eye of Angkor

Think he attended a Regional Technical College. Involved in USI at the time of Brendan Doris' presidency in the early/mid-1980's. Was either a Maoist (like Doris) or a fellow traveler (with Doris). The web site of the National Convention indicated that they kept in touch.

Seanie Lemass

Think he attended a Regional Technical College. Involved in USI at the time of Brendan Doris' presidency in the early/mid-1980's. Was either a Maoist (like Doris) or a fellow traveler (with Doris). The web site of the National Convention indicated that they kept in touch.
Brendan Doris! Now, there's a blast from the past. He must have stayed in Bolton Street for about 20 years to ensure the continued dominance of the Communist Party of Ireland (Marxist-Leninist) of the students union.

I met him once when I, foolishly, led a strike of apprentices for the right to join a trade union. We had to go to Bolton Street once a week for technical stuff so I planned a walk-out for a day when apprentices from all over Dublin would be there. We requested support from the students and I had an 'interview' with Comrade Doris, who attempted to persuade me of the genius of Enver Hoxha! None of the students came out with us and only two other apprentices joined me. That was the end of my career as a welder. Thanks be to Jaysus :)

lies

Twitter
yes
Brendan Doris! Now, there's a blast from the past. He must have stayed in Bolton Street for about 20 years to ensure the continued dominance of the Communist Party of Ireland (Marxist-Leninist) of the students union.

I met him once when I, foolishly, led a strike of apprentices for the right to join a trade union. We had to go to Bolton Street once a week for technical stuff so I planned a walk-out for a day when apprentices from all over Dublin would be there. We requested support from the students and I had an 'interview' with Comrade Doris, who attempted to persuade me of the genius of Enver Hoxha! None of the students came out with us and only two other apprentices joined me. That was the end of my career as a welder. Thanks be to Jaysus :)
Coming from a country with no real communist anything it's so odd to see actual communists roaming around... kinda cute...

Seanie Lemass

Coming from a country with no real communist anything it's so odd to see actual communists roaming around... kinda cute...
CPI (ML) were very exotic. When Hoxha died they were disconsolate and organised a Book of Condolances outside the GPO! Some of them have done very well for themselves since abandoning the true path.

S

simeongrimes

I spoke to one of the People's Convention people in the street. I would describe them as ultra-democratic. They want to replace the party system with candidates who will represent the people directly and take instruction from the people over which way to vote on issues.

They plan to contest every ward in Cork in the Local Elections and I plan to vote for them if only to encourage the development of the concept. Let's face it. We can't trust any of the parties. I'm a regular SF voter but I'm not convinced they would be that different in power. Maybe it is time to trust ourselves.

Seanie Lemass

Doris seems to be a member of the Convention. Their stuff is a bit vague but leftish. Seems to be connection between them and the Ballyhea anti-bailout people. Also give the impression that they are planning to stand candidates in certain constituencies.

Just see simongrimes has more info on them.

lies

Twitter
yes
I spoke to one of the People's Convention people in the street. I would describe them as ultra-democratic. They want to replace the party system with candidates who will represent the people directly and take instruction from the people over which way to vote on issues.

They plan to contest every ward in Cork in the Local Elections and I plan to vote for them if only to encourage the development of the concept. Let's face it. We can't trust any of the parties. I'm a regular SF voter but I'm not convinced they would be that different in power. Maybe it is time to trust ourselves.
This sounds - to be and IMO - as a pretty infeasible system... I'm not sure I'd particularly like to remove representative democracy... I'm also not sure I want my neighbours deciding budgetary issues, etc.

At the end of the day, what happens if people do damage? Who do you vote out? The people? I don't know... I don't like the parties, but don't know if this is a better idea, or a significantly worse one...

S

simeongrimes

lies

I get your concerns and share them to an extent. But I'd like to see the concept developing. Of course there would be nothing to stop people voting for parties but alternatives are well worth exploring at this stage. I would bet that if people had real power they would use it more wisely than generally expected.

Seanie Lemass

It is similar to some anarchist proposals. Can't really see what their economic proposals are but they supported the Vita Cortex occupation.

lies

Twitter
yes
lies

I get your concerns and share them to an extent. But I'd like to see the concept developing. Of course there would be nothing to stop people voting for parties but alternatives are well worth exploring at this stage. I would bet that if people had real power they would use it more wisely than generally expected.
I don't know.

I'm not sure there's a long history of the masses doing things in their own self-interest or not being easily manipulated by special interests, etc. Plus, if the "people" are deciding, then every decision will be advertised at... there will never be another day with out political posters up in this country ;)

S

simeongrimes

lies

Dail Eireann would still decide everything. The People's Convention candidates would (as I understand it) consult the voters directly themselves. Obviously there are huge questions. Like if you are elected in a multi-seat constituency how to you stop other people's voters from showing up to control your mandate. I'd like to see a representative of the group showing up here to flesh it out. It seems an obvious place for them to promote their cause.

I think what I like is that they are a left wing group trying something new and not just trying to promote a party line.

lies

Twitter
yes
lies

Dail Eireann would still decide everything. The People's Convention candidates would (as I understand it) consult the voters directly themselves. Obviously there are huge questions. Like if you are elected in a multi-seat constituency how to you stop other people's voters from showing up to control your mandate. I'd like to see a representative of the group showing up here to flesh it out. It seems an obvious place for them to promote their cause.

I think what I like is that they are a left wing group trying something new and not just trying to promote a party line.
If voters repeatedly demand their reps do thinks that contravene EU law, what's the point?

If they vote for things that would hurt a minority (like travellers) then what?

If the public turns out to be more cooptable than reps then it'd make things worse, which is what happened in California.

If the reps refuse to enact stupid public demands, what's the difference?

I'm all for rational meaningful change, but this seems like another crudely thought out protest vote...

Open to being convinced... but.. wary...