Who is Enda Kenny trying to impress?

Prof Honeydew

If David Cameron started spouting off about an Irish referendum campaign, the entire country would be telling him to mind his own business. But that hasn't stopped Inda shooting his mouth off over Brexit. His latest cringe-inducing claim is that the Brexit result is more important to Ireland than the Good Friday Agreement.

Kenny: Brexit vote as big as Good Friday Agreement - RTÉ News

For the life of me, I can't figure out what he's trying to achieve. None of those who can vote are going to take a blind bit of notice. In fact, the only possible effect I can see him making is to get up the nose of a handful of Little Englanders obsessed with Johnny Bleeding Furriner telling them what to do.

Is Inda trying to prove once again he's Angela Merkel's best friend forever? Or that he's a world class statesman like Sean Kelly or Gay Mitchell? Or that he's making it up with Her Gracious British Majesty after his invitation to her to oversee the 1916 commemoration didn't work out? Could someone enlighten me?

Henry94.

I'd guess that Cameron wanted him to influence the Irish in Britain. I doubt that he could but they are getting desperate.

Watcher2

If David Cameron started spouting off about an Irish referendum campaign, the entire country would be telling him to mind his own business. But that hasn't stopped Inda shooting his mouth off over Brexit. His latest cringe-inducing claim is that the Brexit result is more important to Ireland than the Good Friday Agreement.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what he's trying to achieve. None of those who can vote are going to take a blind bit of notice. In fact, the only possible effect I can see him making is to get up the nose of a handful of Little Englanders obsessed with Johnny Bleeding Furriner telling them what to do.

Is Inda trying to prove once again he's Angela Merkel's best friend forever? Or that he's a world class statesman like Sean Kelly or Gay Mitchell? Or that he's making it up with Her Gracious British Majesty after his invitation to her to oversee the 1916 commemoration didn't work out? Could someone enlighten me?
He is trying to impress the Frau. He should keep his nose well and truly out. It is like Cameron telling us how to vote on the abortion referendum because of the UK link i.e. all those women and girls going to the UK for the procedures, so Cameron could feel it affects the UK if we vote to allow abortion here i.e. no more "visitors" tot he UK.

Kenny, shut the fvck up.

wombat

You have little to amuse yourself with, there are plenty of threads about the British referendum. The govt believes that our best interests are served by the UK remaining in the EU. The advice they have been given is that they may influence Irish voters in the UK to vote to remain and are unlikely to antagonise that many English voters. I doubt they will have much influence either way.

greengoose2

You have little to amuse yourself with, there are plenty of threads about the British referendum. The govt believes that our best interests are served by the UK remaining in the EU. The advice they have been given is that they may influence Irish voters in the UK to vote to remain and are unlikely to antagonise that many English voters. I doubt they will have much influence either way.
You mean the makey up government who don't actually have a mandate? The one that Kenny cobbled together at a price?

wombat

You mean the makey up government who don't actually have a mandate? The one that Kenny cobbled together at a price?
The govt elected by Dail Eireann.

Mad as Fish

greengoose2 has a little difficulty coping with the complexities of democracy.
At least he has a grasp of the principle, something sadly lacking in FG supporters I find.

corporal punishment

THe government cobbled together where neither of the two major parties got anyway near a working majority. You bloody well know the story so try to be less obtuse!
The electorate pretty much rejected the G/Lab government. Yet because of the electoral system we have here, we get another FG led minority government this time in coalition with a motley bunch of parish pump Endapendants. No mandate there as far as I'm concerned.

Spanner Island

Not true.

He claims it's the most important decision since the GFA... and he's probably right.

Little Englanders are paying attention to those who are saying what they want to hear.

Kenny won't register on their radar... partly because in addition to not having a message Little Englanders want to hear, he's appealing to Irish people living in Britain.

Anyone who doesn't see the potential negative implications of a Brexit vote for Ireland is a moron imo... which is why it's perfectly valid for us to have an opinion on this and for Kenny (or anyone else who might have been Taoiseach at this time) to lobby for a remain vote...

The repurcussions will affect us all... and not only in Ireland but across the EU... which is why everyone is entitled to an opinion...

I remember not so long ago there were many people in England, Wales and NI being a bit peeved at the Scottish independence issue being something they had to watch and in which they had no say.

And now many of the same people don't think anyone in the EU has a right to an opinion on Britain leaving...

Hypocrites.

It will probably be a futile exercise... but then if Kenny didn't say anything he'd be accused of complacency... just like if Cameron didn't say what all the various bodies are telling him about the potential consequences he'd be accused of being negligent.

Last edited:

greengoose2

Not true.

He claims it's the most important decision since the GFA... and he's probably right.

Little Englanders are paying attention to those who are saying what they want to hear.

Kenny won't register on their radar... partly because in addition to not having a message Little Englanders want to hear, he's appealing to Irish people living in Britain.

In my opinion
- Anyone who doesn't see the potential negative implications of a Brexit vote for Ireland is a moron imo... which is why - In my opinion it's perfectly valid for us to have an opinion on this and for Kenny (or anyone else who might have been Taoiseach at this time) to lobby for a remain vote... seeing as the repurcussions will affect us all... and not only in Ireland but across the EU.

It will probably be a futile exercise... but then if he didn't say anything he'd be accused of complacency... just like if Cameron didn't say what all the various bodies are telling him about the potential consequences he'd be accused of being negligent.

noodles

Britain is our biggest trading partner. Anything that needs to be done to safeguard that position should be considered.

Less trade with britain = a poorer ireland.

Poorer ireland = less money for the workshy and feckless that you represent.

Spanner Island

Don't know what 'imo' is an abbreviation for then? :roll:

If you're gonna be a smart arse at least be clever about it.

New Threads

Most Replies