• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Who is Ireland's greatest ever Minister of Finance?

RahenyFG

Who do you think is Ireland's ever Minister of Finance?

FakeViking

Well my vote is for Ruairi Quinn.

One very minor story: during his time as MoF he had use of a state car, but used to take the bus --- I used to pass him as he stood at the bus stop in Sandymount. No fear of the current gombeens doing without their little luxurious entitlements to save the taxpayer a few bob.

eoghanacht

He wasn't finance minister but i always had respect for T.K Whitaker

True Republican

Ray McSharry in collaboration with Alan Dukes stopped Ireland falling into the hands of the IMF.

RahenyFG

Given you're the one starting the thread - are you going to engage and give your own view to kick start things?
I wanted to let others decide for themselves and not influence them but since you asked I'd say Ruari Quinn.

True Republican

I wanted to let others decide for themselves and not influence them but since you asked I'd say Ruari Quinn.
Why, Ruairi Quinn he was a big government statist.

RahenyFG

Why, Ruairi Quinn he was a big government statist.
He introduced the tax bands which kept government spending to a limit and help create a budget surplus for the first time since 1967. Ireland had a better a GDP rating with Quinn than it did under his successors McCreevey and Cowen.

He did a lot in a short space of time.

Catalpa

Charlie McCreevy for me!

He's the only one who ever gave me more than three quarters of thrupence ha'penny of a difference in my wages.

Thanks Charlie!:D

When he knew the game was up he was booted sideways into Europe for his troubles...:?

IIRC it was the Labour Party who howled the loudest at his proposals to start cutting back.:evil:#

athlonedub

Ray McSharry - took the tough decisions that had to be taken in a difficult time. (and for those who think you have to be a trained economist or accountant to be MoF.......)

RQ was a good Minister agreed but in fairness he was given a good hand to play in 1994.

Re Quinn not taking State car, I used to ive near Baggot Street in late 80s \ early 90s and you'd often see Ministers of the day walking into the Dail (in particular those who had apartments in that area)

just_society3

McSharry implemented John Bruton's proposed 1987 budget, which I guess he wasn't oblidged to do. But did it anyway.

McSharry or Quinn then. Cowen was the worst.

dmc444

Ray MacSharry- but there was somebody who was effectively the Minister for Finance, who was a great man that changed this country, TK Whitaker- Secretary to the Dept of Finance.

Congalltee

People really show their utter irrationality if they can praise MacSharry but ignore Haughey. A minister for finance is only as good as their taoiseach. Haughey and macsharry were the ideal team. Talk of praising dukes or bruton ahead of that duo is laughable. Haughey appointed macsharry. He gave him the political capital to cut the current deficit from 8% which it was for all of Fitzgerald's 4 years to less than 3%. It was Haughey's programme for national recovery. Like haughey or not, history will show the pivotal role he played in the creation of the real boom before it became the bubble.
However the best minister for finance was Ernest blythe who had to deal with partition from our industrial base, the effects of civil war, annunities and the payment of 30% of revenue being spent on defence.

Sue Donim

Ray MacSharry- but there was somebody who was effectively the Minister for Finance, who was a great man that changed this country, TK Whitaker- Secretary to the Dept of Finance.
Totally agree rWhitaker - its for no little reason that the ESRI is based in Whitaker Square. As to the FF gombeems -I couldn't put a tissue between them for uselessness.

wombat

We can only hope that the best has yet to come

paulp

McSharry implemented Bruton's budget - but from my understanding he did this despite objections from Haughey?