Who is promoting the "Iar Taoiseach" title?

Vega1447

John Bruton was interviewed just now on Newstalk Breakfast - introduced as "Iar Taoiseach John Bruton" and referred to as such at the end of the interview.

Disgraced former Taoiseach Aherne tried to promote the use of the term but it didn't catch on.

Is Bruton making it a condition of giving an interview?

President Bartlet

Don't see the problem - he is an Iar-Taoiseach - what's the difference if he is called Iar-Taoiseach or Former Taoiseach

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Rots fine with the title just stands for " Insufferable and Rejected" :rolleyes:

jpc

Toadying!
Remember Sir Anthony OReilly
None of that fawning these days.

Roberto Jordan

John Bruton was interviewed just now on Newstalk Breakfast - introduced as "Iar Taoiseach John Bruton" and referred to as such at the end of the interview.

Disgraced former Taoiseach Aherne tried to promote the use of the term but it didn't catch on.

It's either an affectation of title as per irelands neighbors to the east or of the patrician style demo-royalty of political office in Ireland's neighbors to the west where former presidents , senators and ambassadors to Togo are afforded their titles in perpetuity...it's not to be encouraged. When one leaves elected office or a position of political appointment it's over and one is once more a pleb. John Brutons name is John Briton and any mention of his past role is an autobiographical addendum

Trainwreck

You are. I'd never heard of it until you chose to publicise it.

Vega1447

You are. I'd never heard of it until you chose to publicise it.
I'm not promoting it.

Addressing someone by their former title is obsequious. Dinny FM is where you'd expect.former FG Taoisigh to be grovelled to..

Next, Iar Tánaiste Joanie?

cozzy121

If memory serves it was 1st demanded by bertie after he resigned.
He shut up about it once his bubble burst and destroyed the nation.
Newstalk brought it back over the last year when bertie was being rolled out as some sort of expert on the EU and brexit

Gin Soaked

Well, I don't know. Don't you think Taoiseach Emeritus somehow sounds a bit more up-market?
That is the problem. You cease to be Prime minister when you quit. Calling yourself Iar-Taoiseach almost implies a sort of Emeritus esque status where none exists.

Former Taoiseach is factual, Iar-Taoiseach, unless you are actually speaking in Irish, seems pretentious and grandiose.

Despite my deep dislike for Bertie, he was repeatedly elected Taoiseach rather than ending up in the role thanks to 'event's.

So Bruton is even more shameless in this regard.

Cellachán Chaisil

No fear they'd add the séimhiú.

Sister Mercedes

In the US you retain the title. So a former president is addressed as "President Clinton", a former Ambassador as "Ambassador Kennedy Smith" etc.

We have a hang up about giving people titles, but then we're also the world leader in honorary doctorates. At least addressing someone as taoiseach is giving them credit for a title that they actually held, unlike all the "Doctors of Law" lurking in Irish Public Life.

Vega1447

In the US you retain the title. So a former president is addressed as "President Clinton", a former Ambassador as "Ambassador Kennedy Smith" etc.

We have a hang up about giving people titles, but then we're also the world leader in honorary doctorates. At least addressing someone as taoiseach is giving them credit for a title that they actually held, unlike all the "Doctors of Law" lurking in Irish Public Life.
That is not the case : How to Address a Former President of the United States

Sister Mercedes

Hmmm ... well Emily Post says you can refer to them as President x in an 'informal setting'. The US media always use "President" so far as I can remember.

Addressing a Former President of the United States - The Emily Post Institute, Inc.

Now can I talk about the latest pest in Irish titles ... all the 'Doctors of Governance' that are springing up from QUB and the IPA/UCD. It seems to me a makey up qualification for people who can't be arsed to do a PhD.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies