• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Who is the best Irish politician and why?

ticketyboo

Well, I was reading the other thread, and I thought this might be an antidote for that one, because...let's face it.
it's the easiest thing in the world to be spiteful and bitter, especially when you're targeting your political opponents.
I was also surprised at some of the most popular nominations on that thread, because although I can come across the angry man as much as most who populate these pages, I thought that some of the rationale was quite misplaced.
It would help if respondents entered into the spirit of the thing and not to come across as a servile Tory backbencher in the House of Commons when the late Thatcher was holding court.
For myself, Simon Coveney and Joe McHugh come across as decent human beings and even Richard Bruton, who for me would be a more formidable leader than the plant pot avoider.
I'm thinking more of the recent history here, so I would include most of the demoted greens, most of whom seemed to have honorable motives, although we'll argue until eternity about the policies.
Can't give an honourable mention, off the top of my head to anyone in the Labour movement, more's the pity (genuinely) and certainly not the PD's.
Of the independents, the ones who don't set my teeth on edge when they talk would be Shane Ross and Thomas Pringle.
So, p.ie'ers, here's a chance to cast off your negativity and say something nice about those who you politically disagree with.
Oh, and all the Sinn Féiners are just perfect....(yeah, right!)

ellie08

Noel Browne or donagh o malley for their positive contributions to our society. Wonderful men.

oggy

Names like Haughey, Cowen, Ahern, Dev, Lemass, Lenihan, Martin, Reynolds, Lynch are top of my list. Could list a lot more who were all associated with the names mentioned but as there is enough there to higlight where any success this country enjoyed came from I rest my case

Eoin Coir

Has to be Enda Kenny. He has rescued the country from the cesspool FF left it in, and has restored our nation's reputation at home and abroad. Its all the greater as he was seen as an unlikely hero - media tried to destroy him and paint Biffo as a genius, master of his brief and what have you.

Cometh the hour cometh the man.

Sync

Stephen Donnelly.

I think looking at the breadth of his career, it's hard to argue that Joe Higgins hasn't lived and breathed his beliefs over the past 20 years.

M

MrFunkyZombaloo

Enda Kenny.

Inherited daddy's seat. Almost 4 decades of politics with little or nothing to show for it. He lies, does down his own people, gets among the highest pay of premiers in the EU, runs a government who breach the constitution and loads generations of Irish people with debts and interest payments they don't owe by making what was termed illegal (the PN) by his own Minister for Finance water-tight.

And he's still in the job.

The Owl

Yeah, Noel Browne ellie, good man, fought tooth and nail for us women. Treated like scum by the RCC of course. Used their threats on anyone who supported him and had our local convent in Crumlin, anyway, dishing out posters calling him all the names going. My mother, bless her, saw this as a sign to not only vote for him but to work for him, along with dozens of other women.

Fr.Ted Crilly

Has to be Enda Kenny. He has rescued the country from the cesspool FF left it in, and has restored our nation's reputation at home and abroad. Its all the greater as he was seen as an unlikely hero - media tried to destroy him and paint Biffo as a genius, master of his brief and what have you.

Cometh the hour cometh the man.
Enda Kenny has 'rescued' the country?
God help us all.
He may be keeping merkel and the speculators happy, but the domestic economy is in as bad a condition now, if not worse than it was when the FFailures left office.

For once, and this is a first, I agree with sync.

ellie08

Yeah, Noel Browne ellie, good man, fought tooth and nail for us women. Treated like scum by the RCC of course. Used their threats on anyone who supported him and had our local convent in Crumlin, anyway, dishing out posters calling him all the names going. My mother, bless her, saw this as a sign to not only vote for him but to work for him, along with dozens of other women.
Lucky lady to have know him, your mum. A man who had first hand experience of the poverty that many families had to endure in our new state, and stuck his neck out for the greater good and not himself.

The Owl

Names like Haughey, Cowen, Ahern, Dev, Lemass, Lenihan, Martin, Reynolds, Lynch are top of my list. Could list a lot more who were all associated with the names mentioned but as there is enough there to higlight where any success this country enjoyed came from I rest my case
Oggy love, this thread is about politicians posters like? Not "The Most Wanted for Treason" list. The politicians we all hate is still here on the home page I think, little lamb.

ticketyboo

Oh dear...did you read the OP?
And more pertinently, did you understand it?
One more thing...do you understand the concept of the one track mind?

drummed

Its probably Gerry Adams if we mean A) people who are still alive and B)with remarkable political skill. Disagree with him 99% of the time but your can't argue his commitment.

Neol Browne is deceased and his approach was deeply flawed. Many of his failures were largely his own fault. He's an icon for the anti church brigade and others but he was far from a skilled politican. If he had been he'd have succeeded.

SKELLY

i can safely say that there is no irish politican past or present that can fill this position.

not one has ever truely embraced what it is to step up and serve all the people.

not one has shown any leadership and conviction to take a bold leap and take the country with them.

All have served themselves or party first, the country has always been a distant second.

The only people who came close are Lemas, Garret and Noel Browne and even they were tainted.

A real shame and indictment of a gombeen banana republic.

drummed

Oggy love, this thread is about politicians posters like? Not "The Most Wanted for Treason" list. The politicians we all hate is still here on the home page I think, little lamb.

No, its not about people we like. We all like Santa but he's fairly useless 364 days of the year.

Its about who we think is a skilled politican, regardless of party.

oggy

Oh dear...did you read the OP?
And more pertinently, did you understand it?
One more thing...do you understand the concept of the one track mind?
I understand fully. I am entitled to my beliefs as you are. I have no reason to claim a politician from FG, Labour, SF or Independents over the history of this country is to be commended before a FF politician. If you or anyone else can name a politican who is head and shoulders above any of the people I have listed I am prepared to consider the case you make for that person. get on with and forget your presumed hatred for Ff please

ellie08

Its probably Gerry Adams if we mean A) people who are still alive and B)with remarkable political skill. Disagree with him 99% of the time but your can't argue his commitment.

Neol Browne is deceased and his approach was deeply flawed. Many of his failures were largely his own fault. He's an icon for the anti church brigade and others but he was far from a skilled politican. If he had been he'd have succeeded.
He succeeded in bringing in new laws for free health care for mothers and children despite fierce opposition for clerical and medial factions. The man did just fine and god bless him, and lest we forget his campaign against tb was a triumph, not that it bothered the powers that be at the time. When I read about the savita case, I think of him and his recollection of the arrogance of irish consultants compared to his experience of working in a particular British hospital where all staff were addressed by their name and not their station.
Wish there were more people like him in Ireland, though its easier to mock people who want to make a difference like joe Higgins for example and call them cracked because they believe in helping the many instead of lining their own pockets.

oggy

I find your use of the word treason an insult from a very disturbed bigoted mind

drummed

There's no point in trying to talk to oggy folks. Move on. Any more entries?