• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Who is the FG minister suggesting a free vote? Is the Independent being mischieveous?

greengoose2

Last night a Fine Gael minister told the Sunday Independent: "It would be, in my view, a great signal of reform if we allowed a free vote on this issue."
Kite flying from a FG minister, quelle surprise! There won't be a vote nor a referendum. There will never be a free vote either. There is a head of steam building up for some fine hot air!

Four journalists put this article together which says it all.

Slow news day despite some hefty newsworthy happenings.

dent

How did we arrive at a national broadsheet Sunday that represents the very worst in Irish society ?

Cato

Sounds emanating from Government indicate that they are hoping to deal with this through Statutory Instrument which will mean that it will never come to a vote.

For FG this would be a solution of sorts: X finally gets addressed but individual TDs can still go back to their constituencies saying that they oppose abortion and have no voting record to say otherwise.

However, SF's motion may force their hand a bit.

FloatingVoterTralee

Surely enactment in this instance would require primary legislation, meaning a vote would be unavoidance?

Cato

Surely enactment in this instance would require primary legislation, meaning a vote would be unavoidance?
There seems to be a belief that it can be done by SI. Alex White made reference to it being a proposal (although he did say that he would need to see the detail).

Cato

The momentum for a free vote is increasing. Excellent. Now for the lobbying to begin in earnest...
What makes you think that there has not already been lobbying taking place?

Keeping the whip protects them a little. Using secondary legislation to address this lets them off the hook altogether.

Analyzer

When a mainstrem Irish media operation talks about anonymous sources in Leinster House, I immediately switch off.

Regardless of either the subject or the point of view.

Because it always a cover for an agenda of either the said media outlet, or advertisers paying money to the said media outlet.

And I leave it at that.

'orebel

Sounds emanating from Government indicate that they are hoping to deal with this through Statutory Instrument which will mean that it will never come to a vote.

For FG this would be a solution of sorts: X finally gets addressed but individual TDs can still go back to their constituencies saying that they oppose abortion and have no voting record to say otherwise.

However, SF's motion may force their hand a bit.
Gutless chickensh1t b**tards who wouldn't know a principle if it bit their collective noses off.

EUrJokingMeRight

The article states;

"Analysis conducted by the Sunday Independent indicates that, under a "free vote", an estimated 41 TDs – just short of a quarter of all TDs – would oppose the introduction to legislate for the X Case: Fine Gael (20), Labour (10), Fianna Fail (5), Independents (5) and Sinn Fein (1)."

Wow how out of touch are these regressive neanderthals?

Cato

The article states;

"Analysis conducted by the Sunday Independent indicates that, under a "free vote", an estimated 41 TDs – just short of a quarter of all TDs – would oppose the introduction to legislate for the X Case: Fine Gael (20), Labour (10), Fianna Fail (5), Independents (5) and Sinn Fein (1)."

Wow how out of touch are these regressive neanderthals?
Where are they getting the 10 Labour TDs from? Which ones?

Cato

The figure does indeed seem high. Too high to believe really.
Indeed. Particularly as its focused on TDs and not the entire parliamentary party. It's too high to be believable.

I haven't even seen one name mentioned either, not even on TO'B's thoughts on this one.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Indeed. Particularly as its focused on TDs and not the entire parliamentary party. It's too high to be believable.

I haven't even seen one name mentioned either, not even on TO'B's thoughts on this one.
I'm sure there's one or two. I remember one Labour hack from my college days who had a bad case of anti-choice. I think he's only got up to councillor status since then though.

I've heard that they're around, but I've never met any who brought up the subject and avowed an anti-choice view.

That was in the late 80s. There'll surely be even fewer of them around in the Labour Party by now.

Bleu Poppy

How did we arrive at a national broadsheet Sunday that represents the very worst in Irish society ?
13 years of supporting the MaFFia in government (and since) does that to you.

slippy wicket

The momentum for a free vote is increasing. Excellent. Now for the lobbying to begin in earnest...
Would you ever feck off with the rest of your loony cultists, and for decks sake take down those bloody posters, you offend everyone.

Youth defence my arse, keep the dead hand of the bishops away from social issues they have no effective knowledge or competence on.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies