• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Who is the worst Irish Politician and why?

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
You might not like a politician because of their policies or say, their kow-towing to the Govt or Europe, because of something they said or because of their appearance even, maybe you think they are not doing anything at all.

Who do you think is the worst we have right now and why?

Broadly as I see it we have three types, the leadership who have the real power we are told, the whipped TDs of the government and then opposition and other invisibles such as the MEPs/independents/councillers. There is a wide range to choose from.

Who do you think is the most ineffectual, the most inep, the worst by your standards and Why?

Analyzer

Good God. Looking at that line up, leaves me stumped.

With the exception, of Bilbo D Higgins, they are ALL hoors.

And you left out Ahern, Harney, Gormless, Donkeylaffs. Plus a legion of Norn Iron politicians. And you have no Irish American politicians either.

eoghanacht

Haughey.

End of....

thegregster

Historically it has to be that deflector TV candidate in Donegal . Imagine an "intelligent electorate" electing somebody because they were going to lose access to foreign TV.

NYCKY

It really is a tough choice and you could play whac a mole with this and keep changing your mind.

For me, it would have to be Biffo, to think of the high offices he held and the shame he brought on the country along with his actions/lack of actions that have left the country in an awful state for decades to come.

Boy M5

And you left out Ahern, Harney, Gormless, Donkeylaffs. Plus a legion of Norn Iron politicians. And you have no Irish American politicians either.
I was asked if we were allowed more than one choice. Quicker to just list the decent ones.

Analyzer

It really is a tough choice and you could play whac a mole with this and keep changing your mind.

For me, it would have to be Biffo, to think of the high offices he held and his actions and lack of actions have left the country in an awful state for decades to come.
But....was that him, or was it the booze ?

Mercurial

Out of the current members of the Oireachtas, and out of those I'm familiar with, my vote goes to Mattie McGrath. I don't like his policies, his priorities, or what appears to me to be chronic and cynical opportunism.

Honecker

Historically it has to be that deflector TV candidate in Donegal . Imagine an "intelligent electorate" electing somebody because they were going to lose access to foreign TV.
It's better than voting for Fine Gael because you believed the sh1te in the 5 point plan.

tipp revolution

Ask yourself who achieved nothing and maybe did harm Martin Cullen springs to mind but I will stand corrected if I am wrong

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org

Its is only a sample to get the imagination going, It would take several pages to list them all.

ellie08

Miceal Martin must be up there for setting up the hse. Cant remember the exact figures but there were eight managers that became 50 -to sixty managers. I know figs are wrong but there was huge increase in the number of pencil pushers - not front line staff. He also ordered hundreds of reports and acted on none. Michael woods must be up there too for saddling the state with the church's debts for abusing children by their members and if course Martin Cullen mr e voting machine, or was that Noel Dempsey. Look all that ff crowd from the last govt basically. You couldn't pick one over the other.

McDave

The politician I've come to lose most respect for is Lucinda Creighton. She's a politician who seems quite happy to drag us back to a culture of the Fifties, with - to my mind - meaningless scraps over moral issues.

Of all the TDs in the Dail at the moment, she's the one I'd most like to see losing her seat. As a salutory lesson from those of us who want Irish society to move on and take responsibility for problems which need political resolution.

McDave

PS: If the Senate counts - and IMO it doesn't! - then Ronan Mullen is simply the worst!

Sync

I guess the worst by my standards would be Lowry due to y'know...never attending the Dail and all that "unpleasantness". Callely would be a close run due to pretty clearly using his political career as nothing more than a way to milk the tax payer.

It's tough to point at Lowry/Ahern and Cowen and say they're ineffectual or inept though due to the fact that they've consistently done the one thing a politician has to do: Get re-elected.

Ryan Tubbs

The politician I've come to lose most respect for is Lucinda Creighton. She's a politician who seems quite happy to drag us back to a culture of the Fifties, with - to my mind - meaningless scraps over moral issues.

Of all the TDs in the Dail at the moment, she's the one I'd most like to see losing her seat. As a salutory lesson from those of us who want Irish society to move on and take responsibility for problems which need political resolution.
Well over 50% of TDs in the Dail have a serious issue with the suicide ground. So why have you singled her out?

And why is opposing the suicide ground redolent of 1950s Ireland?

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
PS: If the Senate counts - and IMO it doesn't! - then Ronan Mullen is simply the worst!
Yah we get it, you dont like social conservatives.

Lonewolfe

On finance, McCreavey.

On Heath, Harney.

On Transport, O'Rourke

On Justice Shatter/McDowell jointly

On doin fook all but collecting a pay cheque, Cullen, Dermot Aherane, **** Roache, Cochlan.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies