• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Who to lead FG after Enda Kenny ?

Who to lead FG after Enda Kenny ?

• Richard Bruton

Votes: 42 33.1%
  • James Reilly

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Phil Hogan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simon Coveney

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Leo Varadkar

Votes: 46 36.2%
  • Michael Noonan

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Mairead McGuinness

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Someone else

Votes: 9 7.1%

• Total voters

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
There are plenty of rumblings on Kenny's leadership, with multiple sources saying he will be gone in weeks

Sam Smyth of the Sindo is an odious and horrible little man, but well connected - and he is spinning against Bruton

Enda is in denial -- he's not up to the job - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie
If an election were not imminent, Mr Kenny would be challenged, although Richard Bruton would almost certainly not be a contender.

There is a convincing argument to jump a generation and Leo Varadkar, the second youngest TD in the Dail, has been impressive recently. Brian Hayes and Simon Coveney would throw their hats in the ring.
Phil Hogan in particular has made very clear that (for one main reason) he will strongly oppose Bruton. James Reilly's shenanigans during the Bruton heave were purely selfish - and he is a huge player. SO who are the frontrunners ?

cYp

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Note

I'm adding Mairead McGuinness as she could conceivably be got into the Oireachtas , or the rules changed to allow her as leader.

Also my personal opinion is that Bruton is the best choice by a long distance - and I'm not fond of (many) sources over the past week suggesting that there will be other contenders

cYp

spidermom

Have to say...object to you describing Sam in he terms you do!!!

However back to the OP..

I went for Bruton...its the economy....stupid! vardakar promoted...and Reilly sent to the barbers!

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Richard Bruton : amazing track record / quotes on economy, could really stick it to Cowen. Downside is that he can be a bit dotty, also has certain ennui issues
James Reilly : dangerous self obsessed schemer. Dirty player and temperamentally unfit to be a leader (unless we want another Haughey)
Phil Hogan : personally I've time for him... but he can't project leadership, has poor people skills... and is a non runner
Simon Coveney : vapid... very low brain power.... but a decent sort
Leo Varadkar : a little too mad and prone to rash decisions. Also has some very odd views that are not yet public
Michael Noonan : past it, and a dirty tricks man to boot- best avoided
Mairead McGuinness : I don't like her so much... but she does have leadership abilities
Someone else : There isn't anyone ready

cYp

flavirostris

Reilly - "a dangerous and self-obsessed schemer" ?
Don't you think thats a bit Jeffrey Archer

kerdasi amaq

What do they expect Enda Kenny to do?

I got the first vote in for Michael Noonan, but don't think I'm endorsing his candidacy.

I think the way the media are treating Enda Kenny is disgraceful. A bunch of dishonest media hacks have created an illusion about Enda's leadership of the Fine Gael party. It's unrealistic to expect discontented Fianna Fáil voters to transfer their voting intentions to their main opposition.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Reilly - "a dangerous and self-obsessed schemer" ?
Don't you think thats a bit Jeffrey Archer
Reilly is indeed like a villain from a book... and I fear that he may well get FG leader... and only after he wreaks havoc in Government will he be found out

cYp

jmcc

Bottler for Taoiseach. :)
However Bruton would probably inspire more confidence because he has a financial background unlike the current government. A Richard Bruton leader/ James Reilly deputy leader would scare the crap out of FF and its collaborators in the media.

Regards...jmcc

Grumpy Jack

I think Noonan is what is needed now - a steady, experienced, wily, intelligent and cunning hand on the tiller to steady two ships, FG and Ireland.

Four to five years of Noonan as FG leader and Taoiseach gives the young turks - Hayes, Varadkar, Coveney - as well as O'Dowd and McGuinness (if she can win Dail seat at next GE) time to gain Cabinet experience running departments so we can all see who is up to the job to lead FG and the country in the second half of the decade.

After all, we now know repairing the damage of the last few years under FF will take at least 10 years and FG must aspire to lead the next two or three governments.

Westlands

James Reilly has really surprised me, he's very charismatic and more importantly incredibly capable. Just look at his faircare proposal.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org

neiphin

I'm adding Mairead McGuinness as she could conceivably be got into the Oireachtas , or the rules changed to allow her as leader.
cYp
there is no leadership contest
cyp -- you are nothing more than a ffer hack

go worry about then 35b debt
and focus on the problems facing the state
and stop making up facetious crap to deflect

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
I think Noonan is what is needed now - a steady, experienced, wily, intelligent and cunning hand on the tiller to steady two ships, FG and Ireland.

Four to five years of Noonan as FG leader and Taoiseach gives the young turks - Hayes, Varadkar, Coveney - as well as O'Dowd and McGuinness (if she can win Dail seat at next GE) time to gain Cabinet experience running departments so we can all see who is up to the job to lead FG and the country in the second half of the decade.

After all, we now know repairing the damage of the last few years under FF will take at least 10 years and FG must aspire to lead the next two or three governments.
A few more years of the old guard will do us wonders.

hiding behind a poster

If an election were not imminent, Mr Kenny would be challenged, although Richard Bruton would almost certainly not be a contender.

There is a convincing argument to jump a generation and Leo Varadkar, the second youngest TD in the Dail, has been impressive recently. Brian Hayes and Simon Coveney would throw their hats in the ring.
:roll: Oh my God. Even I'm better informed than Sam Smyth.

TommyO'Brien

:roll: Oh my God. Even I'm better informed than Sam Smyth.
Its not hard. Even Future Taoiseach is better informed than Sam Smyth, and that is saying something. (Though to be fair Sam is better informed than KeithM on politics. But then the contents of the average septic tank would be better informed than KeithM! :rolleyes:)

derm0t

Leo; Also has some very odd views that are not yet public.
Let's just say: David Icke, shape-shifting reptiloids, Illuminati overlords who worship 50 foot owls in the woods of Northern california.

If I keep this up, can a job writing for the INDO be far behind?

Baron von Biffo

Bruton has no credibility since he blew the heave. Were he to take over it would make no difference. He's also damaged within the party because he ditched his backers to grab a front bench job after losing.

Reilly has €30k and Bottler to contend with.

What FG need now is someone to stop the rot. The best choice is Sean Barrett, not for the long term but to make sure there's still a party to lead when Mairead McGuinness gets elected.