Who voted for Penrose?

greengoose2

The bold Willie is presenting a bill to Dáil Éireann!

Penrose said there are “8 – 10,000 jobs depending upon [the bill]“, but didn’t detail where these jobs are located within the Irish music industry.
I would suggest that his kite has a lead balloon attached to it. Sure it's great gas having buskers outside Leinster House but is the man serious? How are jobs depending on this bill?

So he gathered up a group of Irish musicians and brought them for a sing-song outside the gates of Leinster House this morning, while a host of Labour TDs looked on.
Looks like it's either Labour's way or Nashville's way.

We have a Garda strike, a looming teachers strike, a bus drivers strike, scandal from Rio, a housing crisis, a Dáil that has not passed any legislation this year and all these fools can come up with is this diddley-eye nonsense.

willow68

I would suggest that his kite has a lead balloon attached to it. Sure it's great gas having buskers outside Leinster House but is the man serious? How are jobs depending on this bill?

We have a Garda strike, a looming teachers strike, a bus drivers strike, scandal from Rio, a housing crisis, a Dáil that has not passed any legislation this year and all these fools can come up with is this diddley-eye nonsense.
Good to see their amply paid time is spent productively for the betterment of the whole country.

Socratus O' Pericles

The bill would require a quota of at least 40% of the airtime allotted to music on Irish radio stations to contain a “distinctive Irish element”, as a condition for the awarding of all sound and broadcasting contracts. This covers music of all genres — from folk, traditional and country to rock, pop and classical.
Broadcasting (Amendment) Bill 2016.

Protectionism!!

mr_anderson

Wonder how much 'election contribution' he was given by people in the music industry ?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

Not into job creation?

That figures.

Anything that hastens the revolution, eh?

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.

...and Enda and Co want to entice 75'000 'brainy people' back to this hell hole of a gombeen gangsters paradise to be fleeced left, right and centre while the most basic of services are in constant turmoil. The brainy people that could leave, have gone to a better life....and as soon as my last child is finished school, we are outta here.

Toland

Website
Having read the proposals, I'd say Irish radio is turgid enough without having to be subjected to further restrictions.

There are other ways of promoting Irish music, including measures that might have a half a chance of making it better.

Investment in musical education would seem to be an obvious way to go.

Last edited:

Toland

Website
...and Enda and Co want to entice 75'000 'brainy people' back to this hell hole of a gombeen gangsters paradise to be fleeced left, right and centre while the most basic of services are in constant turmoil. The brainy people that could leave, have gone to a better life....and as soon as my last child is finished school, we are outta here.
This isn't about Enda and Co. Neither Penrose nor his party are in government any more.

statsman

We did.

Boy M5

Having read the proposals, I'd say Irish radio is turgid enough without having to be subjected to further restrictions.

There are other ways of promoting Irish music, including measures that might have a half a chance of making it better.

Investment in musical education would seem to be an obvious way to go.
Radio stations have playlists.

Most radio is either RTÉ, Communicorp (O'Redacted) or K Rupert Murdoch (who has just taken control of Wireless Group which in turn had bought Irish local radio stations).

I think regulation of Murdoch & O'Redacted is a good thing.

We are already a cultural subsidiary of dross from across the sea & ocean.

Toland

Website
Radio stations have playlists.

Most radio is either RTÉ, Communicorp (O'Redacted) or K Rupert Murdoch (who has just taken control of Wireless Group which in turn had bought Irish local radio stations).
I'm not sure I understand your point. I'm very aware of the sharks in the water. And of the dead whale too.

mr_anderson

We are already a cultural subsidiary of dross from across the sea & ocean.
What about our own cultural dross ?

Penrose needs to fúck off.
Back in the 1980's the pirate radio stations were crucifying RTE.
Hence they had to be stopped.

Isn't it terrible what happens to you when you give the listenership what they want ?

Boy M5

What about our own cultural dross ?

Penrose needs to fúck off.
Back in the 1980's the pirate radio stations were crucifying RTE.
Hence they had to be stopped.

Isn't it terrible what happens to you when you give the listenership what they want ?
Fair point.

He isn't proposing playing Seán Nos to the Club crowd on a Saturday night.
You try travelling on that evening CD & MP3 player all the way.

He's pushing for "Irish artists" to be the majority on play lists.
So an Irish dance "musician" - sampler or whatever, instead of a lad from Cologne, Croydon or Chicago.

Boy M5

I'm not sure I understand your point. I'm very aware of the sharks in the water. And of the dead whale too.
Harsh but true. He expired when he got excited on direct provision.

blokesbloke

Where are you going out of interest?

Toland

Website
Fair point.

He isn't proposing playing Seán Nos to the Club crowd on a Saturday night.
You try travelling on that evening CD & MP3 player all the way.

He's pushing for "Irish artists" to be the majority on play lists.
So an Irish dance "musician" - sampler or whatever, instead of a lad from Cologne, Croydon or Chicago.
What counts as Irish?

Just asking.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies