Who Was The Greatest Taoiseach We Never had?

SlickWilly

The rules on this one - 1 A strictly Mickey Collins free zone and no apologies to any frothing @ the mouth blueshirts for that!
2. The individual concerned would have to have had a realistic chance of becomming taoiseach at one time ie in the general current or past body politic and 3. Up and comming stars are not allowed so minister Martin or leo W don't count!
It's a question, I can't adequately answer myself because the more I think about it, the more reasons, I find to discount them.
Possible suggestions - gorgeous George Colley and his sense of entitlement
Mary Robinson, Donagh o'Malley - brought in what was the norm everywhere else, a 2007 election star in Biffo ( if he maintained it or got in there then)
Dessie O'malley - who surely would have been had he remained an Eff Effer - so is therefore an ejit, Maura Geoghan Quinn, Paddy hillery - surely no way,
Champagne Charlie McGreedy - come of it, Micael Noonan - the blueshirt rotweiler and terror of the Mccoles.
Will love to hear your opinions folks!

clytaemnestra

I really would have loved a counter-factual where Go-Go and Avril Doyle had been leaders of FF and FG respectively. Either one of them as taoiseach would have been great fun.

willoughby

Outside Collins, Alan Dukes. Dont really know enough about FF history to comment on them but I'd say couple of Labour lads were probably unlucky not to be part of a bigger party.(thinking rabbitte and Quinn here as I still think they're impressive.

willoughby

Has to be a realistic choice and a Mickey collins free zone, Lads and lassies!
What have you against MC. If he could of been Taoiseach why does he not deserve a mention, Should we not ban everyone involved in the civil war and war of independence.

collina

The rules on this one - 1 A strictly Mickey Collins free zone and no apologies to any frothing @ the mouth blueshirts for that!
2. The individual concerned would have to have had a realistic chance of becomming taoiseach at one time ie in the general current or past body politic and 3. Up and comming stars are not allowed so minister Martin or leo W don't count!
It's a question, I can't adequately answer myself because the more I think about it, the more reasons, I find to discount them.
Possible suggestions - gorgeous George Colley and his sense of entitlement
Mary Robinson, Donagh o'Malley - brought in what was the norm everywhere else, a 2007 election star in Biffo ( if he maintained it or got in there then)
Dessie O'malley - who surely would have been had he remained an Eff Effer - so is therefore an ejit, Maura Geoghan Quinn, Paddy hillery - surely no way,
Champagne Charlie McGreedy - come of it, Micael Noonan - the blueshirt rotweiler and terror of the Mccoles.
Will love to hear your opinions folks!
Well, T. J. Whittaker possibly made the greatest contribution to the state without having executive powers.

Des O'Malley was the most respected of politicians that FF ever produced in recent times but the spivs were never gonna let him have it. We would certainly wouldn't have had the corruption that lead to the curreny emergency.

MDaniel

Oh please! Let's forget about the past and focus on who we really need as a future Taoiseach. Hopefully the IMF doesn't read this thread:eek:

justme1

Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen.

eyelight

Parnell

What the Fug

Dukes, he proved it as leader of the opposition by putting the country first (I was very annoyed at the time) a rare thing for a Irish politican

Noel Browne

oggy

What have you against MC. If he could of been Taoiseach why does he not deserve a mention, Should we not ban everyone involved in the civil war and war of independence.
Wasnt it the danger of Collins becoming a dictator that got both sides to finish him off

turdsl

Well, T. J. Whittaker possibly made the greatest contribution to the state without having executive powers.

Des O'Malley was the most respected of politicians that FF ever produced in recent times but the spivs were never gonna let him have it. We would certainly wouldn't have had the corruption that lead to the curreny emergency.

Yes, O Malley, was great, until he was offered the smell of power, then he was ready to polish Haugheys boots.

New Threads

Most Replies