• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Who watches the media in Ireland ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
In Ireland every so often some nice policy level paper comes out extolling the benefits of more state controlled / funded media ...but there seems to be very little operational monitoring of the Irish media, these are things I'm aware of:

1. Commercial bungs: entertainment, food, drink and property writers getting serious direct and indirect bribes
  2. Foreign espionage: one Irish media outlet was warned a prominent journalist was on the books of a European intelligence agency...not a blink...the journalist has subsequently gone onto the books of Uncle Vlad...not a blink
  3. Domestic espionage: many political staff and editors have "interesting" relationships with politicians...and are effectively treated as members of staff by party head offices
  4. Inflated salaries: the Irish media is heavily unionised, and resistant to change unless the cash register is raided..one organisation that I can think of has been in a fully fledged industrial dispute for some years now...yet not a peep about it
  5. Incompetence : even for what ought to be their salaries, some people plainly ought not to be employed as journalists...Montrose is a favored destination for miscreants who are the misbegotten issue of politicians and their farmyard animals

As result...the media is badly compromised ...during the property bubble Brian Lucey was shilling for subprime in the Irish Times ...

Currently a number of major "indiscretions" are being covered up...the media extract a price for such cover ups

How come no journalist discloses potential conflicts of interest to the public ?

[video=youtube;KnGo6Qm0Wt8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnGo6Qm0Wt8[/video]

Also Montrose and the Irish Times are fighting off Denis O'Brien ...yet we don't see them fighting off the aforementioned practices ? At this stage we might as well hand the country over to Denis...at least we'd then know what we were dealing with

cYp

storybud1

I actually spend my time fooking laughing at their incompetence and liberal bias.

They are scared sh1tless regarding the cost of bogus immigration on our society, attacking the judicial system that deliberately operates a revolving door policy for career crims, really investigating the crooked golden circle at the top of the table etc, etc,

GDPR

Whathisface, the mad poster here with the single anti media & pro FG post.

automaticforthepeople

I haven't read anything about the TTIPS cover up by RTE in at least 15 minutes.

You know the cover up that is so successful that there are few who know that yesterday there was a huge leak that it won't pass muster

GDPR

This is all you need to know about Rte

1: They are grossly incompetent in that the producers are incapable of distinguishing between a major breaking news story and minor fluff.

2 : The producers hold strong personal political/ideological views and make their decisions on that basis. Which is why they opt for fluff.

3: The producers are under direct or indirect political/business pressure to ignore or at least minimise coverage of certain categories of news stories. Which is why they opt for fluff.

And you have no choice but to pay. So you are fluff too :)

Peppermint

Whathisface, the mad poster here with the single anti media & pro FG post.
For many years we've been threatened with jail, if we didn't pay to support the lifestyles of
Marian Finucan,
Ryan Tubridy,
Gerry Ryan..

Etc.. (yes I realise GR is dead), I also realise I aided in his habit, I paid my TV license, SO some of that money went to Gerry Ryan buying err 'stuff'..

Why do they justify a special tax?
Why do they justify any tax?

I listen to radio, I don't watch TV anymore, but can potentially receive a tv signal.
SO I must pay these Montrose Millionaires/ more money??
Why ?

GDPR

For many years we've been threatened with jail, if we didn't pay to support the lifestyles of
Marian Finucan,
Ryan Tubridy,
Gerry Ryan..

Etc.. (yes I realise GR is dead), I also realise I aided in his habit, I paid my TV license, SO some of that money went to Gerry Ryan buying err 'stuff'..

Why do they justify a special tax?
Why do they justify any tax?

I listen to radio, I don't watch TV anymore, but can potentially receive a tv signal.
SO I must pay these Montrose Millionaires/ more money??
Why ?
Historically it is what it is and its not worth worrying over, there are far more important & justifiable things to pour your emotions into.
Basically, don't sweat the small stuff.

jmcc

This is all you need to know about Rte

1: They are grossly incompetent in that the producers are incapable of distinguishing between a major breaking news story and minor fluff.
Didn't Gerry Adams have to explain to Miriam O'Callaghan in one of the debates that Enda Kenny had just given her a major story over admitting to the McNulty appointment cronyism?

Half Nelson

In Ireland every so often some nice policy level paper comes out extolling the benefits of more state controlled / funded media ...but there seems to be very little operational monitoring of the Irish media, these are things I'm aware of:

1. Commercial bungs: entertainment, food, drink and property writers getting serious direct and indirect bribes
  2. Foreign espionage: one Irish media outlet was warned a prominent journalist was on the books of a European intelligence agency...not a blink...the journalist has subsequently gone onto the books of Uncle Vlad...not a blink
  3. Domestic espionage: many political staff and editors have "interesting" relationships with politicians...and are effectively treated as members of staff by party head offices
  4. Inflated salaries: the Irish media is heavily unionised, and resistant to change unless the cash register is raided..one organisation that I can think of has been in a fully fledged industrial dispute for some years now...yet not a peep about it
  5. Incompetence : even for what ought to be their salaries, some people plainly ought not to be employed as journalists...Montrose is a favored destination for miscreants who are the misbegotten issue of politicians and their farmyard animals

As result...the media is badly compromised ...during the property bubble Brian Lucey was shilling for subprime in the Irish Times ...

Currently a number of major "indiscretions" are being covered up...the media extract a price for such cover ups

How come no journalist discloses potential conflicts of interest to the public ?
Show me another country where its media is dominated, almost exclusively, by a foreign trade union.

Many of the policy decisions regarding journalism in RoI are made in London.

GDPR

Didn't Gerry Adams have to explain to Miriam O'Callaghan in one of the debates that Enda Kenny had just given her a major story over admitting to the McNulty appointment cronyism?
Too busy playing with her hair .. piece of fluff. :)

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Also an editor of a major national media organization took it upon himself to report to a new political party

The irony is, we were protected from his perfidy, as it made not a whit of difference as his political staff already had reporting lines to the other establishment parties

What is of significance though is that the loon announced the affiliation at a large editorial meeting and it hasn't leaked

Irish media have been known to coverup some pretty serious failings...what especially ires me is not so much that they sold stuff they didn't own, but that they sold it cheaply...the going rate for a puff piece is a night's drinking...coverup of child abuse used to be the deposit for the mortgage, but word on the street has it that it's gone up....

Cyp

GDPR

Also an editor of a major national media organization took it upon himself to report to a new political party

The irony is, we were protected from his perfidy, as it made not a whit of difference as his political staff already had reporting lines to the other establishment parties

What is of significance though is that the loon announced the affiliation at a large editorial meeting and it hasn't leaked

Irish media have been known to coverup some pretty serious failings...what especially ires me is not so much that they sold stuff they didn't own, but that they sold it cheaply...the going rate for a puff piece is a night's drinking...coverup of child abuse used to be the deposit for the mortgage, but word on the street has it that it's gone up....

Cyp

Value for money -

in keeping with their regard for the tax payer.

Always accept the lowest offer in a public -private partnership :)

Accidental sock

I believe it's spelled 'meeja'...

'Up there in Dublin' is implied.

jmcc

It is more subversion than espionage. Most people who become journalists are not very bright and are easily subverted by clever PR people. Some of them will provide a good review for a cheap freebie. Others for tickets for a show or match. Others require some other types of encouragement. If they step out of line, then the press releases, free drinks and soft interviews dry up.

The logic is brutally efficient. Got a story you want killed? If you've cultivated a sub room temperature IQed "journalist" give them what they think is an exclusive on the next big thing. They will run the press release without question as it makes them look good even if the story is completely bogus. That way the problem just disappears. This works wonderfully well with complex business or technology stories. After all, most of these technology journalists have no background in STEM and most business journalists have never been in business. Just fill the press release with buzzwords and acronyms and they will run it. It only has to be convincing enough for the morons who read their articles and think that these "journalists" know what they are writing about.

These "journalists" would be targeted by effective PR people, not the usual fluffers but people who really know the business, and cultivated in much the same way as an intelligence officer cultivates an agent of influence. Some of these "journalists" like to be thought of as opinion formers so another way to cultivate them is to have them on panels at various seminars. Of course there has to be genuinely clueful people on these seminars but it plays to the journalist's sense of self-importance. The more upmarket the newspaper, the easier it is for the PR person to make this kind of play. And when they start thinking of themselves as "opinion formers" and important parts of the industry or business, you've got them.

[video=youtube;qGXvj2BjZLA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXvj2BjZLA[/video]

Last edited:

bokuden

Imo, the government will tack water charges onto an expanded tv/radio licence.

GDPR

To stay in business one has to play by the establishment rules. That this seriously impairs actual journalism is of minor concern for those upstairs. Instead the masses are distracted by soap operas both real and fair city type, human interest stories, Kim kardashians arse, sex scandals, sports, TV series and other trivial sh1te. The aim of the game is profit which over rules any public interest journalism type bollix. Where is Shiel btw?

Eire1976

The Media in Ireland is there to uphold the establishment and that means currying favour with Britain.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies