Who will be Gilmore's running mate in Dun Laoghaire?

Socratus O' Pericles

The silence around here is quite loud. Labour have a good chance of two seats with transfers from PBP-- RBB will fall just short in a four seater.

A Councillor from Stillorgan or Blackrock, Bacik, a celebrity, someone who is more educated regarding the bond markets than Frank McBrearty?-anyone any ideas?

Sync

The silence around here is quite loud. Labour have a good chance of two seats with transfers from PBP-- RBB will fall just short in a four seater.

A Councillor from Stillorgan or Blackrock, Bacik, a celebrity, someone who is more educated regarding the bond markets than Frank McBrearty?-anyone any ideas?
Well that's just not possible.

Mission Rock

I wouldn't rule out RBB. Generally speaking, I think high profile candidates from outside the established parties will have a pretty good chance throughout the country in the next election.
Right now though, Dun Laoghaire definitely looks like 1 Lab, 1 FG, 1 FF and a fight between Lab, FG and PBP for the last seat, and picking a good second candidate could make all the difference. IMO, Labour could do a lot worse than going for Lettie McCarthy. She has a decent profile from her current role as Chairperson of the Council, she comes from the opposite side of the constituency to Gilmore, and she has proven to be an impressive vote getter in the Glencullen ward.

johnfás

In a constituency that elected Fiona O'Malley?
People simply don't like Bacik. She failed in the last General Election, she failed in the European Elections in which she stood, she failed in the Dublin Central Byelection, she failed in two attempts at the Seanad and eventually came in third placed in the Trinity constituency in 2007. She is virtually unelectable, the only hope she has is by scraping in on a Labour tide - which isn't exactly a great way for Labour to build a political force for the future as she'll likely lose her seat again at the next election.

Socratus O' Pericles

People simply don't like Bacik. She failed in the last General Election, she failed in the European Elections in which she stood, she failed in the Dublin Central Byelection, she failed in two attempts at the Seanad and eventually came in third placed in the Trinity constituency in 2007. She is virtually unelectable, the only hope she has is by scraping in on a Labour tide - which isn't exactly a great way for Labour to build a political force for the future as she'll likely lose her seat again at the next election.

Agreed -O'Malley fooled everyone once in 2002 as a relative unknown with a dynastic appeal she did everything right until she opened her mouth.

Lettie McCarthy is a good sort but Glencullen is nearer to Shankill than Stillorgan and Blackrock -what about Richard Humphreys?

Red_93

@johnfás, Bacik never contested the last GE, and she did well in the Euros, outpolling an outgoing MEP, Dublin Central was the wrong constituency for her.

White Rose

I would have been one of those people who didn't like Bacik and wouldn't have voted for her. However, after all the shenanigens of the last couple of years it's time for TDs with a few brain cells. She is smart and serious and I think Dun Laoghaire is ready for her. Anyway, they could put a chimp up and he (she?) would get in on Gilmore's coat tails

CorkHurler

At what point will Bacik stop hawking herself around every constituency in the southside. Ruairi Quinn blocked her at convention in DSE so he can bulldoze his nephew on to the ticket before the election and she had to be told to take a hike after eyeing up the slot to replace Upton in DSC.

redhead101

Ruairi Quinn blocked her at convention in DSE so he can bulldoze his nephew on to the ticket before the election
You might be good enough to point out what provision there is in the Labour constitution to 'bulldoze' a candidate onto a ticket in the way you suggest.

tiny tim

If labour subsumed PBP into their party thus gaining 2 seats the Constituency arithmetic could work out with no FF representitive being elected.

Last edited:

tiny tim

If labour subsumed PBP into their party thus gaining 2 seats the Constituency arithmetic could work out with no FF representitive being elected.

My God!...... That seems to have quietened everybody down! Have I said something I shouldn't??

Mission Rock

Agreed -O'Malley fooled everyone once in 2002 as a relative unknown with a dynastic appeal she did everything right until she opened her mouth.

Lettie McCarthy is a good sort but Glencullen is nearer to Shankill than Stillorgan and Blackrock -what about Richard Humphreys?
Actually, the most obvious flaw in my own proposition is that Lettie McCarthy's local constituency is in the wrong dail constituency :oops:.
I'm not sure about Humphreys. He's not instantly likeable, and yet he would probably need to be as he would be virtually unknown outside of his local base. He does seem to be squaring up for a tussle with RBB though - witness the latest four postings on here Richard Humphreys

Mission Rock

Anything is possible in the next election, but
A) Its hard to see Mary Hanafin not retaining her seat.
B) There is a mutual loathing between Labour and the SWP. Labour will not be subsuming PBP into their party, because neither side will want it to happen.

Socratus O' Pericles

My God!...... That seems to have quietened everybody down! Have I said something I shouldn't??
Not much to say to this except antipathy,antipathy,antipathy.

livingstone

Lets drop this nonsense about Bacik being consistently rejected. She has never run in a general election - she ran in a European election with a popular running mate and came within a decent distance of winning a second seat for Labour in 2004. She ran in the by-election in 2009 when she polled 17% - not enough in a by-election by not abterrible performance. Like many she sought and did not win the party nomination in one constituency.

So she has only sought election to the Dail once, and sought selection to contest a GE once. This is considerablly less of a failure record than many other TDs who fought many GEs before being elected.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Anyway, they could put a chimp up and he (she?) would get in on Gilmore's coat tails
A second seat in Dún Laoghaire will be very difficult to achieve.

Bacik would be a good candidate for Dún Laoghaire. She'd complement Gilmore very well.

The prize of leaving Fianna Fáil without a seat would be just as sweet.

New Threads

Most Replies