• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Who will be Tanaiste tomorrow

strauss

Are they even taking bets on Cowen? (actually the bookies are probably closed now anyway).

The Trinity Politick

Cowen. No question

The Trinity Politick

super pedestrian said:
cilldara said:
definalty cowen. the greens wouldn't get it with only six seats
In 97 the PDs got it with only 4 seats
Its a three way now though. And to come back with 78 seats considering the time in office.....

Cowen deserves it. Like it or lump it

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
True but that was a 2-party situation maybe it's not fair to compare.

nicola

what powers does the tanaiste have. ie if bertie self combusts does cowen take over and if he also combusts (more likely) then what !

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
actually this might be a bit of a surprise.

Many would have expected it to be Cowen, but up to the beginning of FF dumping one party rule as a principle, the position of Táiniste was a relatively minor one, with it been given out as a little sweetener for a party hack.

I mean, what does a Táiniste really do ?

Maybe Bertie might give it to someone else as a nice little title instead of a Ministry

jerryp

rockofcashel said:
actually this might be a bit of a surprise.

Many would have expected it to be Cowen, but up to the beginning of FF dumping one party rule as a principle, the position of Táiniste was a relatively minor one, with it been given out as a little sweetener for a party hack.

I mean, what does a Táiniste really do ?

Maybe Bertie might give it to someone else as a nice little title instead of a Ministry
But would it not have to be a Ministerial position as the Tánaiste deputises at cabinet meetings if the Taoiseach isn't there ?

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Rock, I think if someone is a Tanaiste, that means one less portfoliol, and you'd have to merge two departments.

The Tanaiste is a cabinet position.

Minsters are cabinet minsters - the junior 'minister' is just a spun new way of calling it undersecretary if I recall.

mossie

Donald Segretti said:
McDowell will be tanaiste tomorrow ... until about 5 o'clock that is.
Ah, yet another reason to celebrate tomorrow, the country is free of mc dowell at last.Sweet. I think it speaks volumes about the measure of the man that one of his last acts as minister for justice was to sign a deportation order for a young boy with autism..the child can only hope that hanafin doesn't get the justice portfolio and he may have some hope of appeal.

Minister3

4p.m. at the Aras it is. Dail convenes at 2 for an Hour.Ceann Comhairle elected .Taoiseach elected.Cabinet announced a few niceties .Leave for the park about 3ish.Seals of office handed back .Then new seals presented.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies