Who will be the first major Trump administration figure to be sacked?

HarshBuzz

It's an old maxim of politics (and indeed of business) that the when the top guy doesn't go down, he needs a fall guy.

The Trump White House is in chaos; a distemperately tweeting President, competing 'advisers', constant rowing back of false claims, business interest conflicts, alienating friendly nations....it's all happening, bigly.

So who is going to be the sacrificial lamb when The Donald extends that right index finger and utters the magic words "You're Fired"?

Odds below:

4/6: Sean Spicer. Where did they find this guy? The SNL sketch may well have sunk whatever shreds of credibility he had left. A Comical Ali laughing stock.

Evens: Conway. She came into the White House with a reputation as a political genius but has been busy inserting her foot into her mouth ever since (Bowling Green massacre, Nordstrom)

2/1: Mattis. I doubt he has taken too kindly to being out of the loop on critical decisions around the NSC - and to the fact that Bannon is inside that particular tent.

3/1: The First Lady. The Donald deserves a new barbie doll at this stage?

20/1: Tillerson. Surely too smart to get dragged into any silliness.

10000/1: Kushner. Family is family

100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000/1: Bannon. I mean, come on.

Place yer (hypothetical) bets. My own is that Spicer will be done by Easter.

Orbit v2

Flynn might be in a spot of bother already, re contact with the Russkies about the election meddling.

ne0ica

If anybody was to go it would Spicer or his boss Chief of Staff Reince Priebus.

Lempo

Not Mattis. He won't run and leave his Forces on the mercies of madmen.

On his own volition, that is, to which the assessment in OP would suggest. And he's a cred piece in Trump's cabinet.

ne0ica

Betsy DeVos
It took a lot of work to get her through the Senate. She is carrying out an agenda on behalf of homeschoolers and Charter Schools.

paulp

John F. Kelly

If (when?) the lose the court case, it'll have to be someone's fault

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
It took a lot of work to get her through the Senate. She is carrying out an agenda on behalf of homeschoolers and Charter Schools.
This, for me, is the worst aspect to the presidency yet. Education, for a nation, is like equivalent of the cooperative food storage for a frontier farming village. Fucck with it at your peril.

Cellachán Chaisil

They want to get rid of Dep. Ed.

Her appointment is just to make us all agree.

Cellachán Chaisil

This, for me, is the worst aspect to the presidency yet. Education, for a nation, is like equivalent of the cooperative food storage for a frontier farming village. Fucck with it at your peril.
Oddly, the U.S. has only had a cabinet level education department since 1979.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Oddly, the U.S. has only had a cabinet level education department since 1979.
Not so odd when you remember it has traditionally been within the remit of the states.

Levellers

Spicer will be first to go. His credibility is shot to pieces (not his fault but the things he is ordered to say) and the orange one will be unable to withstand mockery.

Filibuster

I wouldn't put it past him to have a cabinet "you're fired" night once a month.

Conway is safe: she's Smithers to Monty Burns and not actually part of the formal cabinet.
Also she's not someone I would like to have as a enemy! Even Trump might struggle.

He will be more likely to fire anyone who blocks or challenges him or massively goes off message before someone who is just an occasional misspeaker.

Enigma Variations

wombat

Trump won't fire anyone because of opposition pressure, my bet will be that one of the ex military people will quit over some daft proposal.

Nemesiscorporation

It's an old maxim of politics (and indeed of business) that the when the top guy doesn't go down, he needs a fall guy.

The Trump White House is in chaos; a distemperately tweeting President, competing 'advisers', constant rowing back of false claims, business interest conflicts, alienating friendly nations....it's all happening, bigly.

So who is going to be the sacrificial lamb when The Donald extends that right index finger and utters the magic words "You're Fired"?

Odds below:

4/6: Sean Spicer. Where did they find this guy? The SNL sketch may well have sunk whatever shreds of credibility he had left. A Comical Ali laughing stock.

Evens: Conway. She came into the White House with a reputation as a political genius but has been busy inserting her foot into her mouth ever since (Bowling Green massacre, Nordstrom)

2/1: Mattis. I doubt he has taken too kindly to being out of the loop on critical decisions around the NSC - and to the fact that Bannon is inside that particular tent.

3/1: The First Lady. The Donald deserves a new barbie doll at this stage?

20/1: Tillerson. Surely too smart to get dragged into any silliness.

10000/1: Kushner. Family is family

100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000/1: Bannon. I mean, come on.

Place yer (hypothetical) bets. My own is that Spicer will be done by Easter.
Kushner, Mattis and Ivanka are the only 3 sensible people around Trump. The rest are nutcases. Ivanka or Kushner would both make good future presidents.

DeVos should be deported to la la land.

Hewson

If performance is a yardstick I see either Conway or Spicer being dumped overboard within eighteen months, possibly less, and Conway will be first.

It's a truism that the personnel in all new administrations need time to adjust to their respective roles but some of the gaffes made, particularly by Conway, have been so inexcusable that it's patently obvious that the task in hand is well beyond her abilities. Her 'Bowling Green massacre' so-called 'misspeaking' was uttered on two occasions to different interviewers, with Cosmopolitan and with Fox News. So she didn’t make a slip-up, she was simply not informed of facts, real or 'alternative'. Her advert for Ivanka Trump's fashion line during a TV interview was clueless beyond words.

Trump is finding out for himself that running a country is not the equivalent of running a business. CEOs don't necessarily make good politicians any more than the reverse is true and while a survival instinct helps it won't get you over legal obstacles or the credibility deficits created by sub-standard personnel.

Trump's administration will either unravel from within, because his dismissive nature, political amateurism and history of using people will not attract loyalty, or his past will trip him up and impeachment will follow.

That should be fascinating because I suspect he will be dragged from the Oval Office kicking and screaming.

Gin Soaked

Not so odd when you remember it has traditionally been within the remit of the states.
But back in '79 there was less wingnuttery like creationism and anti-vax and anti climate change.

Then, Science was respected in the US. now the poorest states have flat earth nuts in the ascent.

New Threads

Most Replies