Who will be the GOP Front Runner for 2012?

Tea Party Patriot

This is the big question about to be asked in U.S. as soon as the dust settles on yesterdays House and Senate elections.

My personal preference would be to see Ron Paul get the Republican Party nomination. He is fiscally a Libertarian which would be good for the economy, he is not a political hawk and therefore would be flexible in dealing with international relations, and lastly but not least he is sufficiently liberal on social issues not to alienate the fiscally conservative yet socially liberal part of the electorate.

I would love to know the opinions of others as to who they think will be the candidate to challenge the Barak Obama presidency; after all with the U.S. history of liking divided government the electorate may not automatically opt for the Republican candidate in 2012 unless he or she is a very strong candidate.

TonyBird

Mitt Romney or a strong 'underdog' of the same breed . When push comes to shove 'the tea party' will fade away . They've served their purpose as a sideshow/freakshow .

VoteFFno1

Website
www.fiannafail.ie
Are the tea party members of GOP or a splinter group like RSF are to SF?

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Ron Paul? Not a hope in hell. The GOP will now try to rein in Tea Party favourites, not surrender leadership to them. Between now and 2012 the struggle for the heart of conservative America will see a compromise candidate, not an established icon of either wing of the current GOP.

Ron Paul may run, but he would not beat out Palin who will also seek the nomination. Donald Trump has said he will throw his hat in the ring too. But any real front runner has yet to declare or be identified. Alot is going to depend on the public mood in 2012. Palin would not be the establishment GOP choice, but if they damage Obama enough she might be impossible to resist. Alot will depend also on how much the influence the Tea Party develops or maintains.

bokuden

Given the fickleness and stupidity of the American electorate (2 years ago Obama now tea party morons), I'd say someone in a clown suit.

Tea Party Patriot

Ron Paul? Not a hope in hell. The GOP will now try to rein in Tea Party favourites, not surrender leadership to them. Between now and 2012 the struggle for the heart of conservative America will see a compromise candidate, not an established icon of either wing of the current GOP.

Ron Paul may run, but he would not beat out Palin who will also seek the nomination. Donald Trump has said he will throw his hat in the ring too. But any real front runner has yet to declare or be identified. Alot is going to depend on the public mood in 2012. Palin would not be the establishment GOP choice, but if they damage Obama enough she might be impossible to resist. Alot will depend also on how much the influence the Tea Party develops or maintains.
Personally I think Palin is too polarised in the category of right-wing religious, conservative hawk to have a realistic chance. Although the fact that she is a woman may attract female voters to cross party lines.

Donald Trump would certainly have the money it requires to win a primary. His past discretions outside of his marital bed may come back to haunt him; this said he already has much of his dirty linen out in the open. However he I don't think he would be popular with the Southern Baptists, or for that matter a lot of women who would view him as a “dirty old man” type.

Someone else mentioned Mitt Romney, I think he is a genuine moderate comprise candidate but perhaps not much of an orator and I still think he would weigh in as a lightweight.

To come back to Ron Paul, as I said personally I would love to see him as the candidate. But yes I have to partially agree with you that it would be a high hill for him to climb. However I do think that he is a candidate that could unite America if he got a nomination.

There have also been mentions of people getting behind Rand Paul to make a bid, he would probably be more acceptable to the establishment than his father. In fact the establishment eventually backed him for the Kentucky primary. He has really only entered politics but then Obama was only a one term senator before he ran successfully for the white house.

D

Deleted member 48908

Jim deMint Might have a shot, but my money's on Pawlenty/Rubio vs Clinton/some young guy

VoteFFno1

Website
www.fiannafail.ie
Personally I think Palin is too polarised in the category of right-wing religious, conservative hawk to have a realistic chance. Although the fact that she is a woman may attract female voters to cross party lines.

Donald Trump would certainly have the money it requires to win a primary. His past discretions outside of his marital bed may come back to haunt him; this said he already has much of his dirty linen out in the open. However he I don't think he would be popular with the Southern Baptists, or for that matter a lot of women who would view him as a “dirty old man” type.

Someone else mentioned Mitt Romney, I think he is a genuine moderate comprise candidate but perhaps not much of an orator and I still think he would weigh in as a lightweight.

To come back to Ron Paul, as I said personally I would love to see him as the candidate. But yes I have to partially agree with you that it would be a high hill for him to climb. However I do think that he is a candidate that could unite America if he got a nomination.

There have also been mentions of people getting behind Rand Paul to make a bid, he would probably be more acceptable to the establishment than his father. In fact the establishment eventually backed him for the Kentucky primary. He has really only entered politics but then Obama was only a one term senator before he ran successfully for the white house.
Jed Bush...

Mercurial

I hope Palin will get the nod, mostly because I believe that that would be the surest way to secure a second term for Obama.

Assuming she doesn't end up as the nominee, I think Rubio might be a good bet for the VP slot.

Tea Party Patriot

D

Deleted member 48908

Can the Democrats really make it with an Asian VP ? :confused:
Hillary was dispatched to Kuala Lumpur for the election. She might have found a candidate over there.

My feeling is that Obama will come down with some "illness" that will preclude him from running again. Hyper-tension maybe... I think Hillary will resign before Christmas so that she will have a decent amount of time to fire up the Clinton campaign machine.

Tea Party Patriot

I hope Palin will get the nod, mostly because I believe that that would be the surest way to secure a second term for Obama.

Assuming she doesn't end up as the nominee, I think Rubio might be a good bet for the VP slot.
Would agree with you on Rubio having a chance at VP, he would certainly fit the demographic to put pick up a lot of votes, is a good speaker and a youthful looking candidate.

NYCKY

It won't be Ron Paul, thats for sure, Huckabee or Palin would win the nomination before Paul would. I think Haley Barbour will mount a very credible campaign and could pull it off but would need someone younger like a Chris Christie or Marc Rubio to balance it out. It will be difficult for the Republicans to have 2 white men on the ticket so some of these newcomers, Nikki Haley, Rubio and Martinez in NM will probably be getting consideration for a VP slot.

D

Deleted member 48908

It won't be Ron Paul, thats for sure, Huckabee or Palin would win the nomination before Paul would. I think Haley Barbour will mount a very credible campaign and could pull it off but would need someone younger like a Chris Christie or Marc Rubio to balance it out. It will be difficult for the Republicans to have 2 white men on the ticket so some of these newcomers, Nikki Haley, Rubio and Martinez in NM will probably be getting consideration for a VP slot.
Haley Barbour is a non-runner. Can't speak/talk. Governor MushMouth. Used to be a partner in a lobbying firm. Handled the BP oil-spill worse than Tony Hayward did. As far as southern Governors go Barbour is well behind Rick Perry and Bobby Jindal in the credible candidate running...

Mercurial

I think it's almost certain that the Tea Party will have a presence somewhere on the ticket, probably in the form of the VP.

New Threads

Most Replies