Who Will Form The Next Government?

picador

With the coming of the IMF and the declining fortunes of the current coalition a General Election seems almost certain in the New Year. It's a given that the current coalition partners will feel the wrath of the electorate and that Fine Gael, Labour and perhaps Sinn Féin will pick up seats as a result. But who will form the next government?

A Fine Gael / Labour coalition seems the obvious combination but with a programme of severe austerity measures overseen by the ECB / IMF in the offing it's seems certain the public sector will be hit very hard (starting with the imminent government). By partaking in such a coalition the Labour Party would merely be ensuring its own demise at the next General Election. And by going easy on the public sector as a price of a coalition with Labour Fine Gael would risk opening the door to Fianna Fáil again.

What odds a minority Fine Gael administration continuing the economic policies of the current government with the support of a much reduced and chastised Fianna Fáil?

Last edited:

vanla sighs

It will be a coalition, a FG/LAB one. SF won't be in it, they won't need SF. Also SF would be too left for FG, and even LAB. And FG would be too rightwing for SF. I wouldn't vote FG, Labour only as a second or third pref. SF or SP will be getting my vote.

PrinceMax

I reckon the Greens certainly won't be in govt. after the next election. We'll probably have a FF majority government.

msteiner

I have a hard time believing that there will be an FF government, although anything is possible. They will certainly get more votes than the opinion polls are projecting, but it seems a long shot that FF will be in government. I would love to see Labour, SF, SP, Greens (if they have any credibility as a left wing party), and independents form a left wing government and have FG and FF settle their difference and 'marry' to form an opposition.

SilverLining

There is nobody in the Oireachtas at the moment fit for this job. I wouldn't trust any one of them to run a pick 'n' mix stall never mind a nation. They have all failed to do their job by putting their own greedy ego driven self intersts over the interests of the nation.

We do not have the political raw material right now to be able to govern ourselves in a responsible manner. There is no leadership whatsoever in the political "elite".

RahenyFG

I reckon the Greens certainly won't be in govt. after the next election. We'll probably have a FF majority government.
There won't be a FF majority government ever again! They ruin the country for 13 years then go out of power and five years after that, the country has forgiven them to return to power with a majority? I can't see pigs flying anytime in the near future:roll:

bactrian

Predicting the composition of the next Government is very difficult.

There is great confusion as to what exactly is going on , the present Government are issuing confusing and misleading information. We are all aware that there is a disastrous situation in being , but the details of that situation are being kept obscure.

After the next General Election we will(probably) have

Fine Gael led coalition with Labour
(with comfortable but less than expected majority)

Fianna Fail will lose up to half their Dail seats,

Greens may retain 1 seat in Dail

Sinn Fein : Gain 3 seats

Substantial increase in Independents

Popular Threads

Most Replies