Who Will Get the Job - Bruton or Burton ?

thetruthsback

So, it is going to be a Fine Gael/Labour coalition, but who is going to get the Minister for Finance position - Joan or Richard? Could be a lot of blood on the floor here, yet.

toughbutfair

Depends whether we want a minister who has solid ideas that have been laid out in detail already or one who says buzzwords all the time.

I'm sure you know which is which.

Nipper

Can we get a jobshare scheme.

With two of them we might finally get a full time minister .

Simbo67

Of course there is going to be only one person for the job and it ain't Burton.

goosebump

Of course there is going to be only one person for the job and it ain't Burton.
So what do Labour get in return?

If the seats share is 60/30, and FG get Taoiseach and Finance, Labour need to get pretty much everything else.

Last edited:

Disillusioned democrat

Richard Bruton is the far more media friendly of the two, and I also think the more credible from an experience perspective, but I have to say that Joan comes up trumps every now and again and has a more "street fighter" air to her. It may be possible to accommodate both of them with a slight adjustment to the finance portfolio, one looking after the business as usual finances and the other overseeing the recovery of money to Nama and the banks.

Simbo67

If the seats share is 55/30, and FG get Taoiseach and Finance, Labour need to get pretty much everything else.
So FG are going to gain 4 seats in the next Dail Goosebump? Now you are moving into the realm of Keith "2-seats" predictions.

Sure if labour get more seats than FG they will get the taoiseach's office.

needle_too

Youre all assuming that it'll be Labour......

goosebump

So FG are going to gain 4 seats in the next Dail Goosebump? Now you are moving into the realm of Keith "2-seats" predictions.

Sure if labour get more seats than FG they will get the taoiseach's office.
Way to split hairs there. I'll up the tally to 60/30. The point remains the same.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com

If the seats share is 55/30, and FG get Taoiseach and Finance, Labour need to get pretty much everything else.
More like 62/23

Bruton for Finance
Burton for Enterprise, Trade and Employment.

Hopefully we will get a Labour environment minister, otherwise it will be *spit* Phil Hogan *shudder*.

Tomas Mor

depends on numbers, if Labour get over 30 its Burton. If not Michael Ring is the man for the job

Simbo67

Those numbers pretty much assume that FG and Labour will get 47% approx between them (the minimum you need to get over the line). At the moment the polls are showing that FG and Labour would get 52%

slx

How about making Joan Minister for Financial regulation, that would really scare the living **** out of the banks :lol:

Simbo67

They would have to, they got finance in 1997 because they had over 30 seats and FG had 47, this time its likely that FG will have much more

willoughby

Bruton, He is the most popular FGer. Very likeable and sounds like he knows what he is on about. Whereas Burton, Cant even understand whats coming out of her mouth at all.

goosebump

They would have to, they got finance in 1997 because they had over 30 seats and FG had 47, this time its likely that FG will have much more
I suppose they could always threaten to coalesce with FF.

That would fairly put it up to Richard Bruton!

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I suppose they could always threaten to coalesce with FF.

That would fairly put it up to Richard Bruton!
If they made that threat, if I was Fine Gael, I'd call thier bluff.
They got badly burned after '92. They see the Greens being skewered now, they're hardly likely to make the same mistake.
Unless FF offer them Taoiseach of course. In that case they should grab it with both hands.

All that's assuming they haven't made an election promise not to go in with FF.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies