• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Who will host TV3's new chat show ??

mmrebel

Six years after cancelling a chat show fronted by Eamon Dunphy, TV3 is considering a new flagship entertainment programme.

The Sunday Tribune has learned that station management have been in contact with a number of venues around Dublin to assess their availability as a setting for the new programme.

Speaking this weekend, TV3's director of programming Ben Frow said: "It's true we are investigating a chat show and a new Sunday-night entertainment programme. I believe that TV3 at this point can make the sort of programme which could stand next to anything RTé has in terms of quality and entertainment value."

While the presenter or exact format of the show is still to be decided, one thing is certain: the programme won't be scheduled against The Late Late Show, a challenge which put paid to Eamon Dunphy's chat show. Launched in the autumn of 2003, The Eamon Dunphy Show failed to gain the same viewing figures as its RTé rival, drawing 295,000 viewers on its first night compared with 614,000 for The Late Late Show, leading to its eventual cancellation mid-season.

"Nobody has ever said to me that The Eamon Dunphy Show was rubbish or that Eamon Dunphy as a host was terrible. The only question I ever get asked is: why was it put on against The Late Late Show? That was a scheduling decision taken before I joined TV3
read more 'Nobody ever said Eamon Dunphy was terrible': TV3 in chat-show comeback

MsAnneThrope

I'd love to see Ivan Yates try something like this. He can be serious or funny, or both simultaneously. He's been around the block in Ireland and is charismatic and very affable. Send in your CV Ivan :)

Herodotus

First show of Martin King tonight.

First guest, Alan Cantwell, they talk about crap as usual.

Second guest, Glenda Gilson, airhead tripe as usual.

Guest band, bewitched.

Last guest, they go upmarket for this one, Mondo from fair city.

I am actually shuddering at the thought.

disgruntledcitizen

I'd love to see Ivan Yates try something like this. He can be serious or funny, or both simultaneously. He's been around the block in Ireland and is charismatic and very affable. Send in your CV Ivan :)
Ivan's already signed up for a 20 week business show on TV3, add that to his breakfast radio show and still being ceo of celtic bookmakers i think he's probably got enough to be getting on for a bit

but i agree i think he'd have potential to be good at such a show

islands

Could be Ray Darcy - he'd be keen to get on TV again, and I'm sure RTE won't have him

That would be worth a punt, I think

MsAnneThrope

Ivan's already signed up for a 20 week business show on TV3
Thanks for that Disgruntledcitizen. I didn't know this and the first show aired today I see (discussing NAMA). I'll play it later.

Well if Ivan is unavailable my second choice would be Daire O'Briain if they can convince him. TV3, if you're reading, we need a laugh in the middle of all these dark economic clouds. Someone to cheer us up. Not a dull, serious host/hostess. Please select carefully :)

rhonda15

Thanks for that Disgruntledcitizen. I didn't know this and the first show aired today I see (discussing NAMA). I'll play it later.

Well if Ivan is unavailable my second choice would be Daire O'Briain if they can convince him. TV3, if you're reading, we need a laugh in the middle of all these dark economic clouds. Someone to cheer us up. Not a dull, serious host/hostess. Please select carefully :)
yes - someone smart and funny please - Daire O'Briain would be great

fool

Oh come on, Rhonda. TV3 couldn't afford to get Daire into negotiations, never mind on air.

MsAnneThrope

Oh come on, Rhonda. TV3 couldn't afford to get Daire into negotiations, never mind on air.
Have you access to their financial info and budget?

Matt Cooper is the obvious choice. Dunphy was a good show, it should have been on a Saturday night. It forced Pat Kenny to up his game which he did. Tubridy Tonight connected with an audience that was always there from the Kenny Live days and it still is. There is no obvious candidate (other than G Ryan) who would command that audience for a chat show on a Saturday night.
RTE have a problem with their schedule if they don't put in a strong show to hold the audience and advertising on Saturday evening. That's tV3's oportunity

fool

Have you access to their financial info and budget?
No, but I've got close to two decade's experience working in television, and I've had negotiations with TV3 on a number of occassions.
If they can't afford me, they can't outbid BBC.

rhonda15

No, but I've got close to two decade's experience working in television, and I've had negotiations with TV3 on a number of occassions.
If they can't afford me, they can't outbid BBC.
yeah i would think it's pretty hard to compete with a heavily subsidised establishment monolith like RTE

fool

RTÉ can't afford to get him to make a regular commitment either.

rhonda15

RTÉ can't afford to get him to make a regular commitment either.
ok - since it seems like you know - just what kind of figures are we talking here?

fool

Rhonda, I don't mean to sound rude, but there's no way I'd discuss a man's negotiating position in public.
I'll say this though, and Daire has said it himself publicly, that he's decided to concentrate mainly on working in the UK, where more money is available to him.
That's why he stopped being the main presenter on The Panel when the series length was extended; he didn't want to drop his more lucrative work in the UK.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies