Who would be your choice as the worst Taoiseach ever?

General Urko

BTW I'm including WT Cosgrave, AFAIK, technically not a 'Taoiseach' in the possibility list!
Oddly I doubt anybody would pick Enda or Albert or John Bruton or Sean Lemass or John A. However I think all the others are potentially in the mix!
WT presiding over a shower of Fascists executing prisoners during the civil war.
Dev a redkneck fooktard, plain and simple, who held this country back for decades as he robbed and lusted after power!
Lynch, a complete and utter gobshyte prone to bouts of amnesia.
Haughey a criminal maglomaniac.
Fitzgerald, a gross incompetent, who came to power with a self determined mission to reduce the national debt, which despite terrible death giving cuts, his administration succeeded in trebling!
Bertie well -----, he certainly got in time though!
Biffo - The smartest man in the room who presided over the formal loss of national sovereignty.
And Liam of course, son of WT!
It's some collection!
I would back Biffo for the golden turkey award on this one!

GDPR

Either Cosgrave or Kenny easily.

The best were probably Haughey and Ahern.

Congalltee

Dev was neither plain nor simple. His dismantling of the treaty saved lives during the Second World War, by regaining the ports and ensuring we could remain neutral. A written constitution approved by the People which recognised the Jewish faith was quite progressive for the late 1930's (it also a constitution which has served us very well). He is one of the few leaders this country who could be considered as an international statesman.

It's amusing that posters ignore his achievements and go with a lazy narrative. It says far about them, then it does about De Valera.

General Urko

I keep saying there should be a dislike button for Piesters to avail of!

mangaire2

Kenny - the dumbest Taoiseach ever,

& in 2nd place - the ol Minister for Harship himself - Liam Cosgrave,

General Urko

Dev was neither plain nor simple. His dismantling of the treaty saved lives during the Second World War, by regaining the ports and ensuring we could remain neutral. A written constitution approved by the People which recognised the Jewish faith was quite progressive for the late 1930's (it also a constitution which has served us very well). He is one of the few leaders this country who could be considered as an international statesman.

It's amusing that posters ignore his achievements and go with a lazy narrative. It says far about them, then it does about De Valera.
RE our neutrality during WW2, which is generally taken as his most signiifcant positive contribution, any Government here of whatever hue would have pursued that policy!
Dev's thievery (e.g. Irish Press) and lust for power isn't mentioned hardly enough!

General Urko

Kenny - the dumbest Taoiseach ever,

& in 2nd place - the ol Minister for Harship himself - Liam Cosgrave,
While I think Kenny is the wrong man in the wrong place dealing with/potentially dealing with Brexit fall out, he isn't despite being a Troika Party Leader on the same level as the real beauts for the golden turkey/ big raspberry award on this one!

Eoin Coir

Has to be Devil Eire by a long shot. At ruination of new state by civil war. Then his economic war, stagnation,poverty, emigration. Last until Ken Whitaker told him & Lemass that the state was dying & we might have had to apply to rejoin UK. In fairness Lemass let him have his way,even though he was a gambler and a kept man man who introduced his son in law the corrupt Haughey to HIS ways.

General Urko

Has to be Devil Eire by a long shot. At ruination of new state by civil war. Then his economic war, stagnation,poverty, emigration. Last until Ken Whitaker told him & Lemass that the state was dying & we might have had to apply to rejoin UK. In fairness Lemass let him have his way,even though he was a gambler and a kept man man who introduced his son in law the corrupt Haughey to HIS ways.
My understanding is Lemass did his level best to keep his son in law from succeeding him!

Eoin Coir

Both Haughey & Ahern should have been tried for treason. Even though it was not known as Taoiseach WT founded the state despite Devileire sabotage, and Kenny again rescued from FF pillage.

General Urko

And we actually lost sovereingty under Biffo!

benroe

BTW I'm including WT Cosgrave, AFAIK, technically not a 'Taoiseach' in the possibility list!
Oddly I doubt anybody would pick Enda or Albert or John Bruton or Sean Lemass or John A. However I think all the others are potentially in the mix!
WT presiding over a shower of Fascists executing prisoners during the civil war.
Dev a redkneck fooktard, plain and simple, who held this country back for decades as he robbed and lusted after power!
Lynch, a complete and utter gobshyte prone to bouts of amnesia.
Haughey a criminal maglomaniac.
Fitzgerald, a gross incompetent, who came to power with a self determined mission to reduce the national debt, which despite terrible death giving cuts, his administration succeeded in trebling!
Bertie well -----, he certainly got in time though!
Biffo - The smartest man in the room who presided over the formal loss of national sovereignty.
And Liam of course, son of WT!
It's some collection!
I would back Biffo for the golden turkey award on this one!
The fact that the parties that spawned this roll call of despicable characters are still going strong is testament to our ongoing stupidity.

Fullforward

Haughey by a country mile.

Congalltee

Has to be Devil Eire by a long shot. At ruination of new state by civil war. Then his economic war, stagnation,poverty, emigration. Last until Ken Whitaker told him & Lemass that the state was dying & we might have had to apply to rejoin UK...
This is comedy gold (except that there are fools who believe that Dev was in the Four Courts when Collins fired on it under orders from
London).

General Urko

The fact that the parties that spawned this roll call of despicable characters are still going strong is testament to our ongoing stupidity.
Yes but they are hopefully on the way out, less than 505 OF THE VOTE AT THE LAST ge COMBINED, WHEN A FEW YEARS AGO THE COMBINED SCUM HAD AROUND 90% and combined with the other major scumbag Troika, it was probably around 95%!

Eoin Coir

My understanding is Lemass did his level best to keep his son in law from succeeding him!
That is pure bunkum.When he made a full minister, Lemass is on record as saying that he hoped Haughey would turn it down. Such a hippocrite,just imagine.

an modh coinniolach

I envisage no prospect of this thread becoming a mere restatement of posters' familial political prejuidices.

mr_anderson

Without a doubt, Haughey.
His corruption went so deep that it infected the post of Taoiseach, his party & the country.

The worst part of it is always missed - it was infectious.
The ease at which he accepted bribes allowed other members of his party to adopt the same 'technique' in the knowledge Haughey could hardly reprimand them.

Bertie, the finance minister without a bank account, perfectly encapsulated the end result of Haughey's reign.

And the country suffers his legacy to this day.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies