• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Who would have a family in this day and age?

RahenyFG

The cost of running a family is massive. Check out this article €48,000 The cost of running a family home - The Irish Times - Tue, Sep 18, 2012 My manager, who is in lower paid sector like myself, says he is on a tight budget since the 2013 Budget and can't overspend and I have heard from countless mothers and fathers how they are tight for cash in these austerity times. I can't find a link for it but have it heard quoted endlessly in media circles that the average family have only €50 left at the end of the week after expenses.

On the other side running around after babies, waking up in the night and readjusting your lifestyle would be the things that put me off having kids.

If I was tho in a serious relationship at the moment, both of us working, I would say no to having children at the moment as the tax situation and other miscellaneous stuff mean having children and their cost is so much.

tipp revolution

Ah well the making of babbies is a free and very enjoyable activitiee

Slightly aside - any other parents get a letter lately from Child Benefit section in Letterkenny asking about nationality of claimant and name and address of school for the over 5's and name of doctor for the underfives. Return in 21 days or child benefit cut off.

Good Girl Joan are you trying to save a bit of money

Do you remember the episode of Shameless when the welfare inspector was on the estate and the young lad of the Gallaghers was hired out to two or three different houses. Hmmmm

truthisfree

The cost of running a family is massive. Check out this article €48,000 The cost of running a family home - The Irish Times - Tue, Sep 18, 2012 My manager, who is in lower paid sector like myself, says he is on a tight budget since the 2013 Budget and can't overspend and I have heard from countless mothers and fathers how they are tight for cash in these austerity times. I can't find a link for it but have it heard quoted endlessly in media circles that the average family have only €50 left at the end of the week after expenses.

On the other side running around after babies, waking up in the night and readjusting your lifestyle would be the things that put me off having kids.

If I was tho in a serious relationship at the moment, both of us working, I would say no to having children at the moment as the tax situation and other miscellaneous stuff mean having children and their cost is so much.
Interesting take on the present economic situation nowadays, do you have anything interesting to say about it other than your ridiculous OP......??

RahenyFG

Interesting take on the present economic situation nowadays, do you have anything interesting to say about it other than your ridiculous OP......??
I honestly wouldn't have kids. The ones that come into my shops give me enough of a headache running all over the place and crying/shouting and I was once told by a parent never to have children and selfishly want the money to spend on myself so I never want kids.

tipp revolution

I honestly wouldn't have kids. The ones that come into my shops give me enough of a headache running all over the place and crying/shouting and I was once told by a parent never to have children and selfishly want the money to spend on myself so I never want kids.
The poster protesteth too much, I fear

Northsideman

You're in the low paid sector and you support FG? Man you need to seriously get yourself assessed.

cabledude

Having kids is the greatest experience of my life. Financially, one finds a way.

tokkie

At least you are directly honest about it

gatsbygirl20

Don't listen to all the naysayers

There seems to be a campaign afoot to talk a generation out of reproducing themselves

Endless articles, books and websites about how you'll never again get a night's sleep, how awfully difficult it is rearing kids...

Compared to the day job, I found being with my kids heaven. And many people feel the same

There is a new competitive, perfectionist yummy-mummy thing going on where if you have the flu and give your kids a pizza and let them look at the telly for the night, it's some sort of crime....

Make the kids as far as possible fit in with your life, not necessarily the other way round. You are an important person too and your needs matter. For generations adults understood this, now it's like the kids have taken over every household

The expense is real--creches, schoolbooks, doctor, dentist, college registration fees...

With the driving down of wages and every other expense relating to children rising, people are forced to put off having kids--because kids are now regarded as some sort of self-indulgent luxury like a new car or holiday home

Which is shameful.

Magror14

There seems to be a campaign afoot to talk a generation out of reproducing themselves

Endless articles, books and websites about how you'll never again get a night's sleep, how awfully difficult it is rearing kids...

Compared to the day job, I found being with my kids heaven. And many people feel the same

There is a new competitive, perfectionist yummy-mummy thing going on where if you have the flu and give your kids a pizza and let them look at the telly for the night, it's some sort of crime....

Make the kids as far as possible fit in with your life, not necessarily the other way round. You are an important person too and your needs matter. For generations adults understood this, now it's like the kids have taken over every household

The expense is real--creches, schoolbooks, doctor, dentist, college registration fees...

With the driving down of wages and every other expense relating to children rising, people are forced to put off having kids--because kids are now regarded as some sort of self-indulgent luxury like a new car or holiday home

Which is shameful.
Thats all good, GG, but for a lot of people kids do not produce total satisfaction, warm and fuzzies 100% of the time. It is wrong to peddle that message because people feel inadequate if being a parent does not make them feel fulfilled 100% of the time and the hassle doesn't seem worth it. The modern thing is to expect life to be good, happy and all fulfilling. The reality is that at best life is those things some of the time. People have lost sight of the fact that in the real imperfect world having kids and doing your best by them is still the most worthwhile thing that the average human being will ever achieve in their lives. All good achievements are realised with pain and having kids is no different.

Northsideman

All good achievements are realised with pain and having kids is no different.
Sorry but that is the biggest heap of sh1te I have ever heard.

tipp revolution

Our 2 year old pulled down the tv this evening (nearly on top of itself) and broke it, so we will be saving the 50 per week for a flat screen which will be hung at ceiling level.

Now what was that you were saying about having kids.........

EUrJokingMeRight

If you measure your wealth with euro you'll never be rich my friend.

Sure having kids is expensive, but not having them is even more costly.

tigerben

Ah well the making of babbies is a free and very enjoyable activitiee

Slightly aside - any other parents get a letter lately from Child Benefit section in Letterkenny asking about nationality of claimant and name and address of school for the over 5's and name of doctor for the underfives. Return in 21 days or child benefit cut off.

Good Girl Joan are you trying to save a bit of money

Do you remember the episode of Shameless when the welfare inspector was on the estate and the young lad of the Gallaghers was hired out to two or three different houses. Hmmmm

Got one 3/4 months ago, looking for the same info and the PPS no for the kids.

tipp revolution

Got one 3/4 months ago, looking for the same info and the PPS no for the kids.
The DSP have gotten better. our list contained all the pps nos which I dutifully noted down as they are not that easy to find when you need them. I was thinking about getting the school going ones to memorise theirs (sen infants!!)

Northsideman

You think raising kids is easy?
Absolutely not! I have three and it is not easy but it is a joy.

All good achievements are not realised with pain and having kids is different unless you are referring to labour pains.

Last edited:

Which is shameful.
Couldn't agree more.

I'm thrilled with my kids and every single day they give far more in return than I give.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies