• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Who would want to be a farmer in Ireland in 2013?

tipp revolution

Before you city slickers glaze over, agriculture was supposed to produce 1% of the 2% growth required by the troika as part of the package. An act of god has intervened and farmers are fodderless and facing probably the shortest summer yet. Most are paralysed by debts for last winters feed and either cant afford to or unable to fertilise the (sopping)ground to produce grass for feed for this winter. The psychological effect of all this is devastating- a review of coroners reports for 2013 will make grim reading.

This sector is on the edge. I feel compelled to bring this to your attention - perhaps as a call for the government to think carefully before wielding the axe next time to satisfy the ecb and as a call to unity for urban and rural folk - we all in much the same boat.

ger12

It's awful. Seeing animals locally, it obvious that farmers are in serious trouble.

commonman

One farmer beside me had to sell some lovely beach trees for fire wood they were there a long time to try and get some money, they are been hit hard especially the small farmer.

irish_bob

the weather has always been the biggest challenge to farmers in this country , Ireland is simply too wet

other than that , times are good in agriculture , grain , milk and beef prices are at a real high

Analyzer

Just look at the politicians who own land, and who will not touch it.

Leave the manure, an the sweat to others.

Clanrickard

This sector is on the edge. I feel compelled to bring this to your attention - perhaps as a call for the government to think carefully before wielding the axe next time to satisfy the ecb and as a call to unity for urban and rural folk - we all in much the same boat.
What axe? If cuts are needed there should be cuts. Farming has received more help and is more cosseted than any other industry. Sink or swim folks. How do you think the weather has hit the tourist industry? Those that sell paint or gardening products? People who do decking?

the secretary

Correct. If the farmer has money it will be spent and this is vital to all rural areas. Agriculture has been the one sector preforming well since the economic collapse. But now the farmer is struggling big time.
Here we still have our cattle inside and sheep still getting fed as grass growth is so poor. Today I lifted 4 bales of hay that were imported from France.
But next year will tell the tale. Silage harvesting is going to be weeks behind all over Ireland this year which will have a knock on effect next year. Many will be only getting one or two cuts. There will be another shortage next year. We are going to sell sheep to compensate for the extra expense this year. The weather is disastrous. Many farmers are being pushed to the limit. The tourism sector will also suffer if this weather remains.

John Deere 5820

Before you city slickers glaze over, agriculture was supposed to produce 1% of the 2% growth required by the troika as part of the package. An act of god has intervened and farmers are fodderless and facing probably the shortest summer yet. Most are paralysed by debts for last winters feed and either cant afford to or unable to fertilise the (sopping)ground to produce grass for feed for this winter. The psychological effect of all this is devastating- a review of coroners reports for 2013 will make grim reading.

We badly need a fine summer Tipp but I'm not sure the Government can do much but the cull figures and levels of debt are frightening all right

Analyzer

On the positive side.....maybe the farmers might organize a protest and scare the wits out of the useless morons in government.

My memory recounts an incident in Athlone when FF were having a drink tank, and the farmers surrounded them, and cut them off.

However did the country manage when it had the FF leadership (sic) isolated from itself ?

Congalltee

Is it the 1930's whereby it is the policy if government to support as many farmers on the land as possible (while dealing with the fallout from a necessary trade war to rid the country of odious debt)?

Can farmers not get income protection insurance for years whereby the weather leaves them short?

sauntersplash

Yeah, it would seem that agriculture hasn't really been a profitable industry in this country for a long, long, long time, if it ever was.

Kinda looks like agriculture has gone the way of other protected sectors and lost the ability to adapt practices to suit market conditions.

devnull

Before you city slickers glaze over, agriculture was supposed to produce 1% of the 2% growth required by the troika as part of the package. An act of god has intervened and farmers are fodderless and facing probably the shortest summer yet. Most are paralysed by debts for last winters feed and either cant afford to or unable to fertilise the (sopping)ground to produce grass for feed for this winter. ...
Farming is inherently a feast-and-famine industry, which is subject to regular acts of God. If farmers can't or don't save enough money during good times to ensure that bad times are very rarely bad enough to require government support, then it's really just banking with tractors.

dresden8

The private sector makes a profit or it dies. It is the way of things.

I know this because I'm a PS worker and I am regularly told this on p.ie.

dresden8

Can farmers not get income protection insurance for years whereby the weather leaves them short?
No doubt the insurance company wouldn't have the money to pay out. Such is the way of the financial sector.

Honecker

The time to worry about farmers is when they are not whinging about something.

Northsideman

I have nothing but the height of respect for the farming community, they are the ultimate self employed folk. One thing I have always admired is their solidarity with one and other and their determination not to be pushed around by government other sectors take note! :

parentheses

I have nothing but the height of respect for the farming community, they are the ultimate self employed folk. One thing I have always admired is their solidarity with one and other and their determination not to be pushed around by government other sectors take note! :
I'm not sure about solidarity. The big farmers don't seem to care much about the smaller and poorer farmers