• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Who would you recommend to initiate the formation of a new political party in Ireland?

Teabag

Who would you recommend to start forming a new political party in Ireland? And why.
Not necessarily the leader of the new party but someone who would bring like minded and intelligent people together to outline the new party policies and start the ball rolling in time for the next General Election.
It would need to be someone with no baggage (not a senior member of another political party or union), someone with universal appeal (not a religious nut) and someone with good communication, negotiation and people skills.

Last edited:

realistic1

Who would you recommend to start forming a new political party in Ireland? And why.
Not necessarily the leader of the new party but someone who would bring like minded and intelligent people together to outline the new party policies and start the ball rolling in time for the next General Election.
It would need to be someone with no baggage (not a senior member of another political party or union), someone with universal appeal (not a religious nut) and someone with good communication, negotiation and people skills.
The time for a new political part was before the last election.

cytex

Who would I recomend throw a stone out of your window into a crowd the person it hits cant do a worse job now can he . the bar is set so low that literally anybody would seem to be a political genius compared to the 3 partys.

Half Nelson

Manuela Spinelli - no baggage, lots of appeal, good communicator and she'll be able to translate the bs that we're getting from Europe.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
The time for a new political part was before the last election.
Totally disagree. People wanted to give the opposition a chance last year. Now that we know that FG and Labour are no better than FF and the GP, there's a large seam of bad will towards the existing parties, to be mined.

statsman

You. If you think it's needed, why wait for someone else whose idea of what needs to be done might be entirely different to yours?

FrankSpeaks

Totally disagree. People wanted to give the opposition a chance last year. Now that we know that FG and Labour are no better than FF and the GP, there's a large seam of bad will towards to existing parties, to be mined.
I fear your idea of utopia is not attainable by any party imaginable!

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
It's all about the economy so for me it would be Stephen Donnelly, Constantin Gurdgiev, Shane Ross and Marian Harkin.

wombat

It's all about the economy so for me it would be Stephen Donnelly, Constantin Gurdgiev, Shane Ross and Marian Harkin.
What have you against Mattie & Ming? Don't like culchies?

Picasso Republic

Totally disagree. People wanted to give the opposition a chance last year. Now that we know that FG and Labour are no better than FF and the GP, there's a large seam of bad will towards to existing parties, to be mined.
I'd agree with this and having just returned to Switzerland today after 10 days in Ireland, it is quite noticable that the "ahhh sure what can we do?" mentality is changing (certainly with the people I was speaking to).

On a more flippant note, as the owner of a small private company who has seen his Irish PRSA fall to 50% of the money I've actually put in and security for my retirement is now a concern.......................I'd recommend myself to head up a new party if only for long enough to be setup for life as it would seem none of the benefits are performance related, how I would perform would be unimportant (to me).

FrankSpeaks

I'm not looking for utopia, I'm looking for a party that puts the people of this country as their number one priority.
I think you are looking for a utopia, but your version of it; remember your ideas about putting the people as their number one priority could be totally different to mine!

Ryan Tubbs

Totally disagree. People wanted to give the opposition a chance last year. Now that we know that FG and Labour are no better than FF and the GP, there's a large seam of bad will towards the existing parties, to be mined.
To promote what sort of policies exactly? The only truly fundamental issue at the moment is the "cut/don't cut" debate.

Less cuts? The Shinners have that wrapped up.
More cuts? It would certainly take balls to found a political party on that basis.

What would be the policies of this mystical party, which has a massive potential support base, and which we've all been hearing about for about 5 years?

Ryan Tubbs

Ok, the first three I can just about accept. But the fourth - is that some kind of joke?

What would the policies be of a party comprised of the first three?

statsman

So, along with your good self they would be guaranteed at least 5 first prefs.

cytex

To promote what sort of policies exactly? The only truly fundamental issue at the moment is the "cut/don't cut" debate.

Less cuts? The Shinners have that wrapped up.
More cuts? It would certainly take balls to found a political party on that basis.

What would be the policies of this mystical party, which has a massive potential support base, and which we've all been hearing about for about 5 years?
A more cuts party would do well i think . If they went along the lines of saying they are going to cut our cloth to what we are bringing in and start at the top with there own pay and perks and then move on to local councils and actually cut out the waste they would have my vote.

S

simeongrimes

I have no problem with any of that lot but as important as the economy is I think political reform is also vital so I would like to see a broader group including people like McWilliams and Fintan O'Toole who would run on the basis of just doing one term and reforming the system. Of course they would have to agree a set of reforms first and run on it.

I do think we need known names. There have been any number of attempts to form new movements but I think they flounder because we don't know the people involved. And we need enough of a broad base become the biggest party at the first attempt. So it does call for leadership from known personalities.

Some of them are coming to Cork soon to debate at the Opera House and I assume they are going elsewhere too.

Four Angry Men Debate the State of the Nation | Cork Opera House

Time to move beyond debate and into actual politics.

patfitzbally

theres only one for me,nigel farage.pity he isn't irish

FrankSpeaks

theres only one for me,nigel farage.pity he isn't irish
Thank fukk for that, I think most nations would be embarrassed to have elected someone of his ilk!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies