• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Whopper Harney - fit for Health ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Ok this is a contentious one....

Besides spouting whoppers all the time Mary Harney is a Whopper. She shows no signs of diminishing. She doesn't speak about her medical condition in public. Nor does she seem to work to challenge & cope with it. Don't tell me that it is "glandular", it is psychological. I propose that a relcalitrant glutton oughtn't be Minister for Health.

I believe that it demeans mental illness for Whopper Harney to plod around insouciantly.This clearly demonstrates a defiance for her body & is a form of self harm. If she persisted in walking around on a broken leg people wouldn't stand for it. Also the profoundly rotund are much more likely to clog up & use our health services: obesity is now at epidemic levels.

cYp

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
cyberianpan said:
Ok this is a contentious one....

Besides spouting whoppers all the time Mary Harney is a Whopper. She shows no signs of diminishing. She doesn't speak about her medical condition in public. Nor does she seem to work to challenge & cope with it. Don't tell me that it is "glandular", it is psychological. I propose that a relcalitrant glutton oughtn't be Minister for Health.

I believe that it demeans mental illness for Whopper Harney to plod around insouciantly.This clearly demonstrates a defiance for her body & is a form of self harm. If she persisted in walking around on a broken leg people wouldn't stand for it. Also the profoundly rotund are much more likely to clog up & use our health services: obesity is now at epidemic levels.

cYp
If every body else stuffed themslves like she apparently does, the farming industry would be in far better shape than it is in today (but everybody else would obviously be in far worse shape).

So, my boy, the fat little rolly polly girl is just doing her patriotic duty. You should kneel before her & be grateful.

She's doing it for you.

Biffo

Good to see the standard of debate in relation to our health service on this website is consistent if nothing else.

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
Biffo does his best for the farming industry too, to give him his due.

ibis

Trefor said:
...kneel before her & be grateful.

She's doing it for you.

Hmm. And double hmm. The image is unwelcome.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
ibis said:
Trefor said:
...kneel before her & be grateful.

She's doing it for you.

Hmm. And double hmm. The image is unwelcome.
Agreed, most unwelcome goes to show that there is a shudder factor about her. Not saying that we ought have an ├╝ber-buff Gaby Logan as Minister for Health but at least not someone who is morbidly unhealthy & wallowing in it.

cYp

Johnny

Her size is not much of an issue for me personally, as the issue is that like the vast majority of her predecessors, she is an ineffective Minister for Health. If however, in her role as Minister for Health she launched an obesity awareness campaign or some such, without leading by example, I think it would be a wee bit rich.

zakalwe

so, to follow the logic of this thread, if only healthy people can be minister for health does that mean that only:

strong people can be minister for defence,
green people can be minister for the environment
stern and educated people can be minister for education
agriculture and food can only be ministered by a hungry farmer
enterprise trade and employment can only be ministered by a successful businessperson
foreign affairs can only be ministered by a vetern backpacker
finance can ony be ministered by the financially solvent

i can't think of any for justice, arts heritage gaeltacht and the other ministries!

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
zakalwe said:
so, to follow the logic of this thread, if only healthy people can be minister for health
Seriously I dont know, it's an interesting one.

I know a guy who works with people who have drink & alcohol problems who's got a bit of a drink problem himself. To be honest, as much as I like the guy, I don't think he's ideal for the job.

Now being Minister for Health is obviously different, but there is some linkage.

In Wales because parts of the country is prone to chronic ill health, the (Assembly) government have various initiatives going - healthy eating in schools, encouraging people to take regular exercise, discouraging people from smoking etc.

If the person who was fronting that - the Minister for Health - (Dr Brian Gibbons from Roscommon by the way) - was an overweight, whiskey swilling, chain smoking, burger eating couch potato (I hurry to add that he's none of those things) he'd obviously compromise the aims of his government.

However if you've got a different set of health policies to ours, & prevention of disease is not seen as a priority - or indeed anything of the government's business - there's probably no problem in having an obviously obese person responsible for the health of the nation.

Perhaps ultimately it's a matter of political culture.

hiker

So American style politics has finally reared it's (ugly) head in Ireland.

If your not beautiful, you're bolloxd. :lol:

Sure that would rule out three quarters of Dail Eireann from holding high office :)

Then again, maybe it does :shock:
I wonder what Bertie looks like without his make-up?
There are some people in the Dail who are pleasing on the eye but there are a quite a few who would'nt get a kick in a stampede.

Take Joan Bruton for example, the tide would'nt take her out but she is a very competant lady. Would she be barred from the Foreign Affairs?
I don't think so.

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
hiker said:
I think that the question is wether it's compatible to be Minister for Health at the same time as suffering from a self imposed illness.

It isn't a question of looks.

owenfeehan

Mary Harney's size has very little to do with her effectiveness in office (which is highly questionable). I think people should stay away from making comments about it, as it only seems nasty and personal.

And the comments about her size were being made long before any transition into the Dept. of Health, so cannot really be validated by that.

The country is full of fat male politicians and I often wonder why none of them ever seem to get noticed for it but fat female politicians get harranged for it.

And trefor, that choice of appointment in Wales sounds might irregular but I challenge you to beat FF's choice of Chairman of the Western Health Board before it was abolished.

They appointed a City Cllr. who was (on top of suffering from similar weight issues to Mary Harney) an active lobbyist for the vintners.

While mayor, he used to regularly issue press releases as "Mayor of Galway City AND PRO of the Galway Vintners" about the various plights of local pub owners in facing competition and government regulation. He even attempted to use the city council to condemn / ban "superpubs".

And then when the smoking ban was announced, he resigned as chairman of the western health board in protest, and attempted a national campaign against it.

Beat that for a Health appointment! :)

It's so incredolous that you'd think I'm exagourating, but I'm not.

Rivershannon

I knew a bookie once who was a compulsive gambler. And yes he used to bet in his own shop. He ended up been thrown out of his shop by his staff for failing to pay out on a successfull bet he placed because he didnt have the stake money to place it in the first place.

Really Weird. I think he was from Leitrim.

eurocrat

Trefor said:
I think that the question is wether it's compatible to be Minister for Health at the same time as suffering from a self imposed illness.

Thats balls. You have no idea of mary Harney state of health or what might be causing it. Someone weight is entirely their own choice and belongs to the sphere of their private life - which should not be an issue in politics.

bonovox

As it's not impacting on her job, it's none of your business cyberianpan. Anyone who has met the woman must admit to being impressed by her determination and ability. I honestly believe that she is the best possible person to have working on Health, but there is no magic wand. If you want to play politics, fair enough - but cut this sort of crap.

nuj

Trefor said:
hiker said:

If it isn't a question of looks, what makes you competent to diagnose her body shape as being the result of a self-imposed illness?

Care to explain why you posted the comment below?

"If every body else stuffed themslves like she apparently does, the farming industry would be in far better shape than it is in today (but everybody else would obviously be in far worse shape).

So, my boy, the fat little rolly polly girl is just doing her patriotic duty. You should kneel before her & be grateful
."

It takes some toerag to get me defending Harney on any issue, but you've managed it.

doozer

bonovox said:
As it's not impacting on her job, it's none of your business cyberianpan. Anyone who has met the woman must admit to being impressed by her determination and ability. I honestly believe that she is the best possible person to have working on Health, but there is no magic wand. If you want to play politics, fair enough - but cut this sort of crap.
If she's the best possible person I would hate to see what kind of a f$ck up your average Joe would make of it. :?

Zhirkov

nuj said:
Trefor said:
hiker said:

If it isn't a question of looks, what makes you competent to diagnose her body shape as being the result of a self-imposed illness?

Care to explain why you posted the comment below?

"If every body else stuffed themslves like she apparently does, the farming industry would be in far better shape than it is in today (but everybody else would obviously be in far worse shape).

So, my boy, the fat little rolly polly girl is just doing her patriotic duty. You should kneel before her & be grateful
."

It takes some toerag to get me defending Harney on any issue, but you've managed it.
What's wrong? Are you a bit of a porker?
Mary Harney is well able to stick up for herself and is making as good a fist of an colossal task as anyone would.