• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Who's the most ineffective finance spokesperson?

Who do you consider the most effective finance spokesperson?

• Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin (SF)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joan Burton (Lab)

• Dan Boyle (Greens)

• Total voters

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
TKwhiskers said:
It would be unfair to judge the other spokespeople on a ministerial basis as they have no experience.
Well, no experience of being Minister for Finance. But then, no one has experience of that before the attain the position.

Also, they don't have several hundred civil servants working for them, preparing briefing material, policy documents and speeches.

So why include Cowen at all?

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
smiffy said:
So it's unfair to judge the others against him, and it would be unfair not to include him.

Doesn't that suggest that whatever result this throws up is going to be meaningless (i.e. even more more meaningless than all of these polls.)
Describing them as spokespeople is the fairest way of asking the question.

I note your hero Joan Burton hasn’t received a single vote, says a lot about what people on this site think of her.

Neutral

I'm not Labour-bashing (they have some real talent: Rabitte, Howlin, MDHiggins are formidable spokespersons) but,

Joan Burton has to be THE WORST spokesperson for anything on the Opposition.

I know she's an accountant, but that's hardly a reason to give your most important job to someone who wholesale turns the voters off voting Labour.

With so many better people, why not put someone else in that job?

Neutral

Richard Bruton's the strongest on the Opposition.

I didn't even know Dan Boyle was Finance spokesperson, which says much about his performance.

BarryW

Neutral said:
Joan Burton has to be THE WORST spokesperson for anything on the Opposition
I'm not her biggest fan, but thats going way overboard. Especially when the opposition benches include such apalling spokespersons as Aengus O' Snodaigh and Sean Crowe.

Burton was a curious choice for this job from the start. Especially as their are a number of other big hitters who could have made more of it. Namely Gilmore, Howlin, and even Liz McManus.

She hasn't really made any huge headway in damaging the governmet or putting forward any ideas.
She has made headway on the Bloodstockissue, and the fact that some millionaires are living tax free....but these issues are narrow ones and will only be of interest to a cerain section of potential Labour voters.

Whether they;re in coalition with FG or FF after the election, the same old Labour demand will be made: We want Finance and Foreign Affairs

Labour's spokespersons in these portfolios are not exactly the ideal people for the job.

Who would you want managing our Finances: Joan Burton or Richard Bruton?

Who would you want to represent us abroad: Michael Twee Higgins or, say, Bernard Allen or Gay Mitchell ??

Methinks that if Rabitte wants to steady the ship before the Election, he should reshuffle his front bench- bringing Howlin more to the fore (a kind of "put up or shut up") and put a realistic ministerial contender in place of Michael D. at Foreign Affairs

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies