Who's winning the pre-referendum campaign on the 8th?

Congalltee

The repealers, amenders or maintainers?

The state of play:
FF and FG will wait for constitutional convention.
Labour won't.
SF want repeal too.

Non-party groups
A civil alliance is forming around repeal by bodies who have no interest in reproductive rights.
The meeja are firmly repealers

The church - hasn't gone away you know.
Iona/youth defence/national party/Ganley.

Well funded on each side.

Polls show support for amendment rather than repeal (depending on how one interprets the result and question)

The tone:
The repealers have taken the high moral ground (like marriage equality campaign), but there is more than a hint of intolerance.
The save the 8th campaign, seems to be lying low for the moment (with an early playing of the Francis visit card).

ger12

There are no winners.

Good OP account of the state of play btw.

firefly123

Babies?

Joking aside those is a very different kettle of fish to the same sex marriage thing. That was all positive messages this sure ain't.

Mercurial

I will be interested to see how much effort is made to prevent a referendum - groups opposed to a repeal will have to decide how to allocate resouces in that regard. At least some resistance will surely be necessary, from their perspective.

good dog

Uk abortion statistics for 2016 will be out shortly, proaborts have their fingers and other apendages crossed hoping for an increase in the number of women travelling from Ireland to the UK for an abortion after the last ten years showing a shocking and from their point of view unwelcome decrease in the number of women travelling. Any increase and they will be all over it like Ruth Coppinger with a bag of St Vincent de Paul clothes.
Media favouring the pro abortion side might not be the advantage they think it is.

blokesbloke

Sigh.

It's going to be an ugly one, isn't it?

If do go to Ireland and anyone mentions abortion, I shall say my religion forbids me from even speaking about it, or something.

PBP voter

Sigh.

If do go to Ireland and anyone mentions abortion, I shall say my religion forbids me from even speaking about it, or something.
Mainly because the media lack balance.

But from that day to this the NUJ has continued its campaign for Abortion on Demand in Ireland. And thus you saw, if you get that paper, headlines screaming for abortion in yesterday's Sunday Independent. Though 35 years have passed and heroes like Billy Quirke are dead and gone , the NUJ still campaigns for abortion in Ireland. Basically this is done by mostly the Dublin Newspaper Branch of the union as well as the Dublin Broadcasting Branch as they think it's lovely and trendy and real left-wing to be in favour of abortion there.

But still in the provinces Irish journalists today are told how to write in favour of abortion. They are also instructed by the NUJ on how to write in favour of sensitive issues like mass immigration and to take a certain view on many social issues including incidents of alleged racism. All this is ordered by the National Executive of the NUJ in London which has always been extremely political and indeed Trotskyist in its membership composition in London, and in recent years in Dublin as well. Thus some Irish journalists brave enough to speak out have alleged "Government by the Press" in Ireland, and indeed that is where we are now.
THE ABORTION STORY THAT HAS NEVER BEEN WRITTEN - AND NEVER WILL. | KilkennyJournal.ie

Nuaman

Where will Renua stand? A State funded party will they have a position?

firefly123

Sigh.

WE NEVER SPEAK ABOUT IT!

Anyone who does from either side of the argument is a kook and you should back away slowly.

Lord Talbot

Sigh.

As long as you're not an impoverished immigrant woman who's pregnant with her rapist's child, you should be fine.

Uganda

Babies?

Joking aside those is a very different kettle of fish to the same sex marriage thing. That was all positive messages this sure ain't.
Thats for sure.

I think keep the 8th will play the card of "what are you putting in its place - if anything" {Look at Brexit...!}

But I think it will be repealed regardless.

amist4

As long as you're not an impoverished immigrant woman who's pregnant with her rapist's child, you should be fine.
Or someone handy with a coat hanger and a thing for big bumps.

GDPR

I think the pro-8th is going to be very panicky.

I expect the following for a start- George Soros is funding the repealers having swamped us with immigrants, so the Irish race will die out if abortion is legalised. The immigrants will drop litters of 8 or 9, but Irish women, being foolish, will spend all their time having abortions.

I have bookmarked this page, because I know I am right :D

Towerfall

I doubt it. I expect the pro-life to put on a much more unified and professional show than the pro-choice team; there's much less infighting and differences of opinion in the pro-life side at the minute, and they'll unite behind a spokesman a lot more easily than the pro-choice, who appear to be a faily disparate group of people.

Towerfall

Where will Renua stand? A State funded party will they have a position?
I mean technically they don't take stances on moral issues, which this clearly is, but I think they'll come out as pro-life, in some form. Partially because there are a lot of social conservatives in the group, and partially because it makes a lot of strategic sense for them to do so.

Morgellons

I think the pro-8th is going to be very panicky.

I expect the following for a start- George Soros is funding the repealers having swamped us with immigrants, so the Irish race will die out if abortion is legalised. The immigrants will drop litters of 8 or 9, but Irish women, being foolish, will spend all their time having abortions.

I have bookmarked this page, because I know I am right :D
Many's the true word said in jest.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies