Why are Cowen et al so afraid of accepting emergency funds?

roc_

Is it the likely conditions that will be attached?

- Are they afraid they will be forced to throw their own buddies and cronies to the wolves instead of the ordinary working people?

- Or are they afraid that they will be forced to put a stop to Eamon Ryan, Batt O'Keefe and others, and their 'grand schemes', that so much of a certain kind of political capital has already been built on the promise of?

- Or are they afraid they will be forced to cut all politician salaries, and demonstrate that they are serious about tackling corruption and cutting the political class down to size?

- Or are they afraid they will be forced to tackle the rampant rent-seeking, subsidy dole, and cartelism in this country, to reduce the cost of living and thus lower wages and welfare spending?

- Or are they afraid that they will be forced to cut state spending on private sector contracts, and further ruin the political capital they have built up on the back of clientism and cronyism?

- Or perhaps they are still hoping to find a country or countries willing to provide funding to facilitate the handing out of 300,000 euro mortgages to first time buyers (notice how the new head of AIB has all those Saudi contacts)???

Very strange that they refuse to accept emergency funds, indeed. :roll:

Dreaded_Estate

It would be an admission that their policies over the past 3 years have been a complete failure.

feargach

Because the IMF have privatised rainwater, and brought Argentina to her knees. How about you give me access to your bank accounts and I give you a crash course in why being under the thumb of the IMF is no picnic?

I guarantee you will understand after I'm done.

Dreaded_Estate

Because the IMF have privatised rainwater, and brought Argentina to her knees. How about you give me access to your bank accounts and I give you a crash course in why being under the thumb of the IMF is no picnic?

I don't think it will be a picnic at all but I do think it is inevitable.

The markets will not lend to us at affordable rates and there is not enough money in the country outside the money in the banks, which they need and we would have to replace when it leaves.

Radix

Bifficus here and I'm not a bit afraid of accepting emergency funds.

From the moment we realised the extent of our losses, the only way we could hope to rescue things, was to get emergency external funding.

Obviously we couldn't take the direct route, as this would highlight the inadequacies on our part which caused this in the first place.

We decided to meet this thing head on with a policy of seeming probity and honesty, so honest in fact as to pledge the whole country now and forever into debt repayment slavery.

We hope someone takes pity on us and offers us debt forgiveness, aka an emergency bailout. (Indeed we have always known that this would happen, except we couldn't say so!)

And anyway, we deserve it. Sure twas our bubble money that kept all them sour krauts in employment, building our beemers.

Now shurrup, the lot of ye and leave us to run the country back up to the next boom.

feargach

there is not enough money in the country outside the money in the banks
That simply isn't true. There are billions being spent on non-essential imports that could prevent the disaster of the IMF assault.

Black Cat

My fear is that they will find some way of hijacking the bailout fund for their own twisted purposes - even my elderly landlady who was a staunch ffer in the past is now admitting that they are a bunch of crooks who need to go - to get an eighty year old ff lifer to switch her alleigence to Gilmore is quite an accomplishment.

new politics

To put it simply, if we accept a bailout fund then we open the door to let the IMF walk straight in and WE ALL will suffer!!!

The public sector will get an all mercyful shock when their wages are halved and their numbers cut.

Benifits will be beared back to the bone which in some cases that would not be too bad.

If we cant fix this mess then we are doomed!!!

Its not in the Irish mentality to give up easily.

no to the bailout, no to the IMF

Cut the public sector waste and let anglo and the likes fail.

Please do tell me how FF charging for water and bringing Ireland to her knees is any different?

Give me your bank account and ill give you a crash course of why a harsh budget by FF will be no picnic.

Disillusioned democrat

IMO the reason is much more self-serving than having their policies rubbished - it's that the ECB or the IMF or whoever comes to clean up this mess will look for assurances that this won't happen again, so REAL banking inquiries and REAL investigations and when they get REAL answers they might take REAL actions - jailing the FFriends, firing the civil servants and exposing the corruption.

Also there would be an element of revenge on Biffo - I can't imagine Angela Merkel would be that happy with the Biffmeister being paid more than her for running a joke shop.

roc_

To put it simply, if we accept a bailout fund then we open the door to let the IMF walk straight in and WE ALL will suffer!!!

The public sector will get an all mercyful shock when their wages are halved and their numbers cut.

Benifits will be beared back to the bone which in some cases that would not be too bad.

If we cant fix this mess then we are doomed!!!

Its not in the Irish mentality to give up easily.

no to the bailout, no to the IMF

Cut the public sector waste and let anglo and the likes fail.
The Irish people suffering is a given - already, FF, and indeed, the establishment in its entirety, have ensured that the Irish people must bear the brunt of the losses that were made, while those who should have bore the brunt of the losses retain their privileges.

Add to this, the vigour with which the current establishment promoted a 'race to the bottom' in terms of their money worship and abnegation of the social status of the human being (instead, promoting a philosophy reducing our people to merely 'human resources' of labour, and 'consumers' etc. And reducing nature to land under the impulsion of the market economy).

So, we ARE talking about fixing this 'mess' as you call it. But the question is how do you fix it? - It would seem that to prevent the current establishment from putting even more of the losses onto the heads of ordinary working people, and to have a real hope of reforming our social, political and cultural status quo and outlook, we need to remove power and authority from their hands.

So how else do you propose removing this power and authority (don't say general election. - It is obvious that the party political system is a part of the system we are trying to get out from under). I think the IMF is a necessary step, if only because it is the best bet of breaking the stranglehold of the current establishment on ordinary Irish working people.

feargach

Please do tell me how FF charging for water and bringing Ireland to her knees is any different?
The Irish people can and will remove FF at some point in the next 18 months and will reverse their policies, very likely including the water charges.

Try and see if the Irish electorate can do that with the central committee of the IMF.

However much you hate these politicians, their reign is temporary. The IMF is permanent and extremely hard to reverse once you realise what a terrible mistake you have made.

No matter how tempting the IMF face tattoo is, it's always smarter to sober up and reconsider it in the morning.

The Irish people can and will remove FF at some point in the next 18 months and will reverse their policies, very likely including the water charges.

Try and see if the Irish electorate can do that with the central committee of the IMF.

However much you hate these politicians, their reign is temporary. The IMF is permanent and extremely hard to reverse once you realise what a terrible mistake you have made.

No matter how tempting the IMF face tattoo is, it's always smarter to sober up and reconsider it in the morning.
Do you realise what damage they can do in the next 18 months?

We cant as a nation afford to wait 18 months to get rid of these clowns.

If FF followed democracy and held the empty TD seat elections we could have had them out last month!

And if you dont think FF will do much in the next 18 months, just look at how they paid off the main Anglo bond holders the other day ahead of time!

They have no mandate, the people dont want them and they clearly are only looking after themselves.

Catalpa

Is it the likely conditions that will be attached?

- Are they afraid they will be forced to throw their own buddies and cronies to the wolves instead of the ordinary working people?

- Or are they afraid that they will be forced to put a stop to Eamon Ryan, Batt O'Keefe and others, and their 'grand schemes', that so much of a certain kind of political capital has already been built on the promise of?

- Or are they afraid they will be forced to cut all politician salaries, and demonstrate that they are serious about tackling corruption and cutting the political class down to size?

- Or are they afraid they will be forced to tackle the rampant rent-seeking, subsidy dole, and cartelism in this country, to reduce the cost of living and thus lower wages and welfare spending?

- Or are they afraid that they will be forced to cut state spending on private sector contracts, and further ruin the political capital they have built up on the back of clientism and cronyism?

- Or perhaps they are still hoping to find a country or countries willing to provide funding to facilitate the handing out of 300,000 euro mortgages to first time buyers (notice how the new head of AIB has all those Saudi contacts)???

Very strange that they refuse to accept emergency funds, indeed. :roll:
Because they will have no Power left that is why.

The pursuit of Power is the essence of Politics.

If this goes through then any Irish Government will be left a toothless Tiger with its tail between its legs...:oops:

GreenIsGood

IMF permanent? Rubbish.

Franzoni

You can have access to mine it has about 17 euro in it....:D

Don't use a bank account anymore ala our former great leader Bertie Bassett....

I'm thinking of changing my name to Del boy.....:p

I think ROC has answered his own question...if they allow a bailout all the real corruption will come out into the light and there will be murder....

Nonsence & lies

Well i've moved my cash as a protest today. Call it unpatriotic of whatever. But it's my small message to the overpaid captains of the universe at the AIB

new politics

The Irish people suffering is a given - already, FF, and indeed, the establishment in its entirety, have ensured that the Irish people must bear the brunt of the losses that were made, while those who should have bore the brunt of the losses retain their privileges.

Add to this, the vigour with which the current establishment promoted a 'race to the bottom' in terms of their money worship and abnegation of the social status of the human being (instead, promoting a philosophy reducing our people to merely 'human resources' of labour, and 'consumers' etc. And reducing nature to land under the impulsion of the market economy).

So, we ARE talking about fixing this 'mess' as you call it. But the question is how do you fix it? - It would seem that to prevent the current establishment from putting even more of the losses onto the heads of ordinary working people, and to have a real hope of reforming our social, political and cultural status quo and outlook, we need to remove power and authority from their hands.

So how else do you propose removing this power and authority (don't say general election. - It is obvious that the party political system is a part of the system we are trying to get out from under). I think the IMF is a necessary step, if only because it is the best bet of breaking the stranglehold of the current establishment on ordinary Irish working people.
The IMF WILL be the end of the country as we know it!!

I agree with you about the current political parties in that they are all spawned from the same vile demon and that in order to create change then we need NEW POLITICS!!

There will be a new government soon and i know that they will not be able to reform anything but until we can borrow at better rates then we must stay in the tall grass and wait for an oppertunity to put foward TWO NEW PARTIES.

1. Conservative smaller government, lower taxes
2. Liberal bigger government, higher taxes.

With such clear and unambiguous ideals, the people can vote knowing what they are voting for.

for this we need a REVOLUTION

Popular Threads

Most Replies