• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why are FG/FF posters so afraid of their inevitable coalition together?

IrishWelshCelt

Every poll that is out recently is pointing to a FG/FF coalition and whilst I know an election may be some years off I cant see that changing vastly. However despite being mirror images of eachother, two cheeks from the same a*s their supporters on P.ie are unwilling to discuss such a possibility! As we've seen with the closure of garda stations, water charges, property taxes FG's policies are mainly those comprised by the last FF administration so whats with all the hate for one another?

GDPR

Every poll that is out recently is pointing to a FG/FF coalition and whilst I know an election may be some years off I cant see that changing vastly. However despite being mirror images of eachother, two cheeks from the same a*s their supporters on P.ie are unwilling to discuss such a possibility! As we've seen with the closure of garda stations, water charges, property taxes FG's policies are mainly those comprised by the last FF administration so whats with all the hate for one another?
Hating SF is so easy and therefore can be a bit boring.

Marcos the black

I've often discussed this and I wouldn't have a major issue with it. It would lead to a normal left/right divide instead of pro/anti treaty of almost 100 years ago. If FF straightened up a bit and stamped out the corrupt element within itself it could work ok.

Colin M

Generations of family brainwashing that the other side of the civil war divide represent the 'devil incarnate', or the like.

wombat

Problem is that they would have such a huge majority there would be dozens of idle backbenchers with nothing to do but plot against whoever was in the govt.:lol:

IrishWelshCelt

I've often discussed this and I wouldn't have a major issue with it. It would lead to a normal left/right divide instead of pro/anti treaty of almost 100 years ago. If FF straightened up a bit and stamped out the corrupt element within itself it could work ok.
Left/Right divide is good for the country, it would certainly lead to less broken promises.

an modh coinniolach

Because it would break the illusion of their continued relevance as seperate parties.

BTW, I'm not convinced thay coalition is inevitable. The time to force that was after the last election but Labour didn't have the patience or the bottle for the long game.

turdsl

When Fianna Fail and Fine Gael do join up, one will devour the other, it will be even bets the survivor.

Marcos the black

Problem is that they would have such a huge majority there would be dozens of idle backbenchers with nothing to do but plot against whoever was in the govt.:lol:
I don't think it they would... At the moment it would have about 50% of the vote, but that would ebb and flow over time.

Windowshopper

The current situation continues because it benefits more parties it ensures that their policies will continue to implemented.

White Horse

Surely Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail are more suited to each other?

Peas of the same pod.

Fianna Fail just had longer to evolve from their mass murdering psychopathic origins.

an modh coinniolach

I don't think it they would... At the moment it would have about 50% of the vote, but that would ebb and flow over time.
Indeed, one of the smaller parties (SF or Labour) would probably become the secind largest party simply by virtue of being the main opposition party.

The Fellow

Peas of the same pod.

Fianna Fail just had longer to evolve from their mass murdering psychopathic origins.

But only a couple years less than FG.

IrishWelshCelt

Peas of the same pod.

You seem to forget your own history there mr blueshirt!

FG did their own bit of killing in the civil war too and you'd do well to remember that!

Bren Boru

This a yawn of a topic. It's been said for 20 years that a FG FF coalition is inevitable and has happened yet. It's not going to happen. They cannot and will not work together. Simple as that.

D

Deleted member 17573

I've often advocated that line too - but I'm having doubts. The Irish are so bloody middle of the road in most matters that the idea of a left/right divide may provide no more than a flawed illusion of real choice. It would, of course, offer a choice but would the choice mean anything in the context of such an electorate - and would the net result be just more of the same? I don't have the answer, just a thought.

CarnivalOfAction

Peas of the same pod.

FG did plenty of mass murdering [of unarmed prisoners] during the civil war. They helped Franco's fascist mass murderers in the Spanish civil war and, of course, they wasted Irish taxpayers' money to assist the mass murderers of Ballymurphy, Derry, Dublin, Monaghan, Dundalk . . .

And that's one reason why they & the FFailures don't want to coalesce: it would be the beginning of the end of the Carnival Of Reaction we've endured since 1923.

seismic change

Website
www.finegael.ie
Personally I dont mind who props up our government as long as Enda Kenny is still Taoiseach.