Why are FG not doing better?

LgCastell

In recent months the new FG frontbench have stepped up there game explaining policies where they would make cuts how they would reform the health service, politics, fund education help employers etc

Leo, O' Dowd, Hayes, Coveney - all who had opposed Kenny have stepped up their games alot and are now performing much better in the media

Reilly too has been excellent since becoming deputy leader

the team is putting forward credible alternatives and ideas on reform and not dodging the tough questions

this coupled with the dismal performance of Lab FB - Shorthall and Lynch especially leads me to wonder why are FG not at least maintaining themselves in the mid to high thirties

Surely the electorate must recognise that there are no easy alternatives and saving have to be found and that the FF idea of buying the electorate through disguising the hard choices and throwing money at them isnt goin to work

Finally on Kenny - he is not going to be an Ahern but in reality do we want another one of these and hes not goin to be an Obama who for all hsi hype has shrunk in popularity I think Kenny can be a good taoiseach who will let his ministers get on with their dept but conduct a strong team

Please dont turn this into Kenny bashing

charley

They seem to be very ill-prepared for an election.In Donegal NE they don't have a single viable candidate for a by-election. For a party that says it wants to govern they have made very little effort on ground to achieve this. Is it possible that the opposition benches are too comfortable?

johnnypockets

Surely the electorate must recognise that there are no easy alternatives and saving have to be found and that the FF idea of buying the electorate through disguising the hard choices and throwing money at them isnt goin to work
You'd think so, wouldn't you?;)

johnnypockets

You ask a question and then shut off the main avenue of discussion.

Bizarre.
Personally I don't see why it has to come down to Kenny. FF's spindoctors have done there best to destory him. And by the sound of things have sucked most people in. Do you honestly think they wouldn't try and do exactly the same thing with any person who came in instead of him?

RahenyFG

Fine Gael will get into the high ground of 65-70 seats the equivalent of mid 30s in the polls. People are sick of Fianna Fail and ain't believing Labour's yes men and bluffers. All about election day, not opinion polls.

CookieMonster

Ah lads, you're an awful shower. Would you not let poor HBAP have a sleep in on a Saturday morning.

Future

It seems the electorate is taking the soft option by going to Labour. Anyone who votes for Labour will be in for a rude awakening when they go back on everything they said in their manifesto for the next election.

Country took the easy option by keeping FF in power and now taking the soft option if Labour get elected.

pujols

I think it is too easy to lay the blame for FG difficulty at the Leaders door.

I think that the current narrative in Irish politics is making it difficult for them to break through. The difficulties facing the economy and the Government's role is soaking up most of the attention; at the same time Labour have been more media savvy because their positioning on the political spectrum allows them to offer contrasting and somewhat populist solutions to the crisis.

Fine Gael, with a heritage of economic centrism and a philopsophical approach not hugely different to the government are currently in the invidious position of offering a similar outlook but better management. Not the sexiest approach but ultimately sounder than Labour's. The challenge for them is to find a way to restructure the narrative by word and deed that makes capable management more attractive to an electorate.

Right now, the emotional and turbulent state of the electorate means that the Labour approach is more popular. I expect that as D-Day approaches, more people will look at FG in a positive light and expect them to form the basis of an alternative government. An early election might not suit them.

They also might want to look at bringing back some of their more successful spin doctors from the 80s and listen to them.

Greener

The Feel-Good factor, on an internal party basis, has departed the FG party for some time. For FG to maximise their potential they need to contest the General Election in mid-late 2009. Once George Lee took off the party began firefighting.

RahenyFG

In response to why Fine Gael ain't doing well in the polls, Kenny just doesn't fit the bill in this day of 'personality politics'. The truth is, like the person who originally started this thread, we don't need an Obama and that is the image Gilmore is projecting. The party has shown itself to be very disjointed, with the leadership heave and the pairing crisis, being examples.

oddsox

When you have irish independent and sam smut and the likes writing sh1te day in day out,,,,,, sour'reilly lost the 2nd mobile phone licence get over it.
The money made on the licence is well gone now trying to defend Smut's lies.
Whos making the agenda here,, obviously the media.
The demise of the irish press made the rats run and infect every other paper

oggy

FG to me are the right in Irish political life and Labour and the other mish mash alongside them are the left. At the core of both sides are extrems that frighten. That core in FG I despise a lot more than the core to the left. My strong dislike of FG has nothing whatsoever to do with the Civil War but the type of people who support that party when I meet them in real life tend to have this inflexible belief they hold the moral heart of the country.
To me the reason FG and Labour do not reach the heights in popularity people believe they should and deserve is because sufficient people are nervous of extremes

jmcc

In a time of despair, people want hope. And FG's frontbench has been rather hopeless at getting its message across.

Regards...jmcc

RahenyFG

They also might want to look at bringing back some of their more successful spin doctors from the 80s and listen to them.
Not a bad idea. Mark Mortell could do with some experience to help him out.

wombat

FG to me are the right in Irish political life and Labour and the other mish mash alongside them are the left. At the core of both sides are extrems that frighten. That core in FG I despise a lot more than the core to the left. My strong dislike of FG has nothing whatsoever to do with the Civil War but the type of people who support that party when I meet them in real life tend to have this inflexible belief they hold the moral heart of the country.
To me the reason FG and Labour do not reach the heights in popularity people believe they should and deserve is because sufficient people are nervous of extremes
Change your meds

Future

I'm nervous of extremes too. Extreme FF corruption and cronyism

New Threads

Most Replies