Why are FG not doing better?

RahenyFG

Is that what you're telling yourself? People voted for them because they couldn't vote for the other two and feel they have to vote for someone. You said it yourself, we're sick of FF's corruption and Labour's waffle. It's not that we want FG, it's just that they are, it appears, the best of a bad lot. Government by default. Well done FG.
You see that spin on it but I see it that they will win the contest of having plausible economic policies and better political ideas than Fianna Fail or Labour

RahenyFG

is hanging on to power at all costs, sacrificing the banks, the country and ultimately the party not a teensy bit extremist?
+1

couldn't have said it better myself

Goodbody

Would have thought its obvious people who vote FF do so because like me they are nervous of those who carry the baggage of extreme ideology ?
Whereas Fianna Fail carry the baggage stuffed with bribes.

ellie08

They seem to be very ill-prepared for an election.In Donegal NE they don't have a single viable candidate for a by-election. For a party that says it wants to govern they have made very little effort on ground to achieve this. Is it possible that the opposition benches are too comfortable?
Sure they're paid very (too) well, why would they want the hassle. Well done to Bertie for ensuring everyone on all benches had so many perks, that they had no appetite to get into government.

RahenyFG

Yes, when you are scared sh1t of what the replacement is one is inclined to hold out WITHIN THE LAW !
what a crap excise but I suppose you can expect it from a Fianna Failer.

CookieMonster

You see that spin on it but I see it that they will win the contest of having plausible economic policies and better political ideas than Fianna Fail or Labour
Did you mention any of them in your post? No. You said people were sick of FF corruption and Labour waffle.

Policies my arse!

RahenyFG

Did you mention any of them in your post? No. You said people were sick of FF corruption and Labour waffle.

Policies my arse!
Am I a Fine Gael policy maker?...no. Was just saying. I think you'll find our dialogue is all ifs, buts and maybes. Who knows what will happen in the next election and why it will happen.

harpsman

Interesting question.Certainly anyone who puts it all down to kenny has a very short memory.for most of the last 25 years people have been sayin FG would be fine if theyd just change their leader.

1)Fine Gael for most of their history have never been particularly populist or popular.When you add up Fianna Failers,republicans,Lefties,hard lefties and left overs,to borrow a phrase,the majority of the population will never vote FG under any circumstances.
2)They do seem to have a dichotomy in their personnel in that they are made up of rural gombeens and snooty urban professionals that only appeal to their own constituency(simplifying a little bit here)
3)Obviously Enda is a pretty weak performer in public.
Having said that Kenny reorganised the party after 02 and has repeatedly delivered seat gains in election after election-when it really matters.
In 2002 the same know alls who are now blaming Kenny for FG not leading by more were saying that FG were finished.
If I had a choice between Inda and wee Dicky Bruton Id go for Kenny every time-any man whos favourite tv programme is SATC is not leadership material

RahenyFG

If I had a choice between Inda and wee Dicky Bruton Id go for Kenny every time-any man whos favourite tv programme is SATC is not leadership material
what tv programme is SATC?

CookieMonster

Sex And The City.

Quick witted FGers all over the shop this afternoon.

sport02

Yes, when you are scared sh1t of what the replacement is one is inclined to hold out WITHIN THE LAW !
Why would FF be scared sh1t of the replacement, that would imply they cared about our economy and country, on the contrary they will still have their pensions, and Cowen is state car and Garda driver to look forward to.

Baron von Biffo

In recent months the new FG frontbench have stepped up there game explaining policies where they would make cuts how they would reform the health service, politics, fund education help employers etc

Leo, O' Dowd, Hayes, Coveney - all who had opposed Kenny have stepped up their games alot and are now performing much better in the media

Reilly too has been excellent since becoming deputy leader

the team is putting forward credible alternatives and ideas on reform and not dodging the tough questions

this coupled with the dismal performance of Lab FB - Shorthall and Lynch especially leads me to wonder why are FG not at least maintaining themselves in the mid to high thirties

Surely the electorate must recognise that there are no easy alternatives and saving have to be found and that the FF idea of buying the electorate through disguising the hard choices and throwing money at them isnt goin to work

Finally on Kenny - he is not going to be an Ahern but in reality do we want another one of these and hes not goin to be an Obama who for all hsi hype has shrunk in popularity I think Kenny can be a good taoiseach who will let his ministers get on with their dept but conduct a strong team

Please dont turn this into Kenny bashing
Discussing FGs poor performance without mentioning Kenny is like discussing WWII without reference to Germany. The fact that you saw fit to ask us to avoid discussing him means that you can see how much he's responsible.

Most of us will only ever encounter Kenny via the television and on that medium he's a disaster. We laugh at him, we're embarrassed for him and occasionally, as with his LLS car crash, we're angry at him but we never see him as a future Taoiseach.

FG people concede that he's bad on telly but they tell us that those who meet him in the flesh are very impressed. That line might have worked in the past but since his own front bench, the people who worked with him every day, said they had no confidence in him it rings a bit hollow.

It's not just Kenny of course, the rest of the team is pretty poor. They currently have a second string front bench because the first team don't rate Kenny. That team isn't turning in a stellar performance.

Reilly, their deputy leader, is the only one who consistently appears to be on top of his brief but his little 'Clock me in even though I wasn't there' stunt, coming as it did on top of his €30k expenses scandal leaves a very sour taste in the mouth. Particularly when viewed in the context of FGs populist posturing on ministerial cars.

The FG face that seems to be most often in the media is Varadkar and that's not good for them. His pronouncements are frequently ill considered. For example his using his Dail time, not to prosecute the government but to launch a gratuitously offensive attack on a past leader of his own party.

Richard Bruton is their best financial technician but he was excluded from the team for what was probably the most important briefing an opposition party will ever get in this country.

Go off the front bench and the level is set by the indisciplined self-pitying whining of Lucinda Creighton.

On policy there's only petty details between FG and FF. The biggie of the current Dail was the blank cheque to the bankers and FG were four square behind FF going through the lobbies to vote for that. Where they did try to distinguish themselves policy-wise with Coveney's great leap forward, their current finance spokesman dismissed it as a PR stunt.

Then there's the electoral stupidity that never appears to be too far below the surface. The PS and connected vote constitutes about 30% of the electorate yet Richard Bruton can't seem to spot a microphone without rushing up to it to announce that not alone does FG want to hammer PS workers now, but they thought PS pay should have been kept well behind the private sector during the boom.

In short, the only thing FG have going for them at the moment is they're not FF.

The Cat

FG don't have much to offer. They're just a collection of hasbeens and wannabes. They are not blueshirts, they are not republican, they are not the political wing of the Catholic church. They have lost any traces of the SD thinking they entertained prior to Alan Dukes. All they are now is an alternative to FF.

While in general they have more integrity than FF, their approach to how the country should be governed is not much different.

wombat

their approach to how the country should be governed is not much different.
They are out of power so they can do nothing. FF are in power but haven't a clue what to do, so they do nothing. I suppose in that sense, there is not much difference:lol:

wombat

Discussing FGs poor performance without mentioning Kenny is like discussing WWII without reference to Germany. The fact that you saw fit to ask us to avoid discussing him means that you can see how much he's responsible.

Most of us will only ever encounter Kenny via the television and on that medium he's a disaster. We laugh at him, we're embarrassed for him and occasionally, as with his LLS car crash, we're angry at him but we never see him as a future Taoiseach.

FG people concede that he's bad on telly but they tell us that those who meet him in the flesh are very impressed. That line might have worked in the past but since his own front bench, the people who worked with him every day, said they had no confidence in him it rings a bit hollow.

It's not just Kenny of course, the rest of the team is pretty poor. They currently have a second string front bench because the first team don't rate Kenny. That team isn't turning in a stellar performance.

Reilly, their deputy leader, is the only one who consistently appears to be on top of his brief but his little 'Clock me in even though I wasn't there' stunt, coming as it did on top of his €30k expenses scandal leaves a very sour taste in the mouth. Particularly when viewed in the context of FGs populist posturing on ministerial cars.

The FG face that seems to be most often in the media is Varadkar and that's not good for them. His pronouncements are frequently ill considered. For example his using his Dail time, not to prosecute the government but to launch a gratuitously offensive attack on a past leader of his own party.

Richard Bruton is their best financial technician but he was excluded from the team for what was probably the most important briefing an opposition party will ever get in this country.

Go off the front bench and the level is set by the indisciplined self-pitying whining of Lucinda Creighton.

On policy there's only petty details between FG and FF. The biggie of the current Dail was the blank cheque to the bankers and FG were four square behind FF going through the lobbies to vote for that. Where they did try to distinguish themselves policy-wise with Coveney's great leap forward, their current finance spokesman dismissed it as a PR stunt.

Then there's the electoral stupidity that never appears to be too far below the surface. The PS and connected vote constitutes about 30% of the electorate yet Richard Bruton can't seem to spot a microphone without rushing up to it to announce that not alone does FG want to hammer PS workers now, but they thought PS pay should have been kept well behind the private sector during the boom.

In short, the only thing FG have going for them at the moment is they're not FF.
Very long winded way of saying you don't like FG;)

Vote_No_on_Everything

Fine Gael are very similar in policy to the extinct PD's, that is they would continue to steal from the workers and peddle even bigger tax breaks & profits to the oligarchs if they got elected. The ordinary workers should know this. Likewise Labour are just Fine Fail with red ties for camaflague

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom