Why are FG not doing better?

Goldencircle

Because everyone the only difference between them and the other crowd is one letter.

And why should we have any faith in that party to run a country when they can't even manage to look good against the current shower

Luigi Vampa

FG to me are the right in Irish political life and Labour and the other mish mash alongside them are the left. At the core of both sides are extrems that frighten. That core in FG I despise a lot more than the core to the left. My strong dislike of FG has nothing whatsoever to do with the Civil War but the type of people who support that party when I meet them in real life tend to have this inflexible belief they hold the moral heart of the country.
To me the reason FG and Labour do not reach the heights in popularity people believe they should and deserve is because sufficient people are nervous of extremes
Thanks for the insight into a FFkers way of thinking. I don’t like FG, I believe they are almost as self serving and useless as FF, but If what FFkers fear most about FG is their morality, then FG have gone up way in my estimations. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 17573

They're the only people we've got:lol:
We should change the electorate so as to improve FG´s electoral prospects:)
On a slightly more serious note, FG need to focus solely on the economy - their contributions to date have been too hit and miss - and this is the sole topic of interest to the people. They need to stop wasting their energy bangin on about things like reform of the political system - nobody cares and they also need to stop hyperventilating about bye-elections. The people are heartily sick of the whole political class and are not likely to get greatly energised about a few vacancies - their carry-on in this regard comes across as an unhealthy hunger for power but with nothing to offer beyond that. And I haven´t mentioned Enda but, if I were to, I´d be mentioning Phil in the same breath!

wombat

I´d be mentioning Phil in the same breath!
I was looking forward to my dinner until you brought him up, you have damaged my appetite:lol:

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

brughahaha

Interesting question

Firstly .... we are a young and often highly immature country, Labour are offering false hope , smoke and mirrors ... believing in some deluded aspiration of finally having a left / right divide in Irish politics (justifies the lies doncha know).They've grabbed the PS vote and others that refuses to accept the reality of our current situation

Others (like myself) are just completely disillusioned with Irish politics and the 3 offerings available to us,.... FG under the longest serving politician in the Dail (and one of the many without private sector experience and a family dynasty to boot) dont convince us that any real change will happen

The there is the genuine rural/urban divide or snobbery if you will that dislikes Kenny (not helped by a seemingly hapless and bewildered media handling organisation)

Add a percentage of the population that just dislikes FG (not helped by their automatic presumption that if its not them its us) for no logical reason other than historical perception and prejudice .... and in my humble opinion you have the explanation for FG's low poll ratings despite the most unpopular Gov in the history of the state

oddsox

fianna fail are good at one thing , knowing what the people want,
Fine Gael know what the country needs!

Tea Party Patriot

I think the big challenge facing Fine Gale is to win over your average disillusioned FF voter. Many traditional middle class FF voters when unhappy with the party tend to stay away from the polls. Its left wing voters have tended to go over to Labour thus giving them gains.

An example would be my father who after a lifetime of voting FF and no one else stayed at home for the recent EU elections rather than cross party lines. FG need to convince these voters that a strong FG is preferable to a Labour led government. A direction I am moving in myself, FF aren't going to win, so to me FG being strong is important for the future of the country. To convince others like me will be the problem.

loner

In recent months the new FG frontbench have stepped up there game explaining policies where they would make cuts how they would reform the health service, politics, fund education help employers etc

Leo, O' Dowd, Hayes, Coveney - all who had opposed Kenny have stepped up their games alot and are now performing much better in the media

Reilly too has been excellent since becoming deputy leader

the team is putting forward credible alternatives and ideas on reform and not dodging the tough questions

this coupled with the dismal performance of Lab FB - Shorthall and Lynch especially leads me to wonder why are FG not at least maintaining themselves in the mid to high thirties

Surely the electorate must recognise that there are no easy alternatives and saving have to be found and that the FF idea of buying the electorate through disguising the hard choices and throwing money at them isnt goin to work

Finally on Kenny - he is not going to be an Ahern but in reality do we want another one of these and hes not goin to be an Obama who for all hsi hype has shrunk in popularity I think Kenny can be a good taoiseach who will let his ministers get on with their dept but conduct a strong team

Please dont turn this into Kenny bashing
Who says they are not doing well--what yardstick are you using--have the distinct feeling that this is a thinly disguised troll

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom