• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Why are Fianna Fail so corrupt?

Nagy

I mean do they just attract a certain class of criminal?

Blue Tide

Because the electoral doesn't provide an incentive for them to be any different. its that simple.

Blue Tide

Speaking of which, is there a redc poll tomorrow?

Heligoland

Q: Why are Fianna Fail so corrupt?

A: Why shouldn't they be? They are just managing the economy. They have no ideology to speak of, they are just representing the interests of big (and not so big) business, and business is by its very nature corrupt. Once they had given up on any ambition to change things for the better for the broader society, then why wouldn't they start looking for a fat bit for themselves out of the profits their policies were making for their friends and relations?

This sort of thing happens a lot in post -colonial societies. The new ruling class simply replaces the former colonists and replicates their behaviour.

Fair play to them really. They are behaving the only way they can, and you may as well criticise a dog for barking than this crowd for being on the take.

It's just sad when you see them up in Arbour Hill putting a wreath on James Connolly's grave. If they had been around in his time they would have been calling for his execution.

bagel

because since the exposure of cjh as a tax cheat, kept man, etc, approx 40% of the electorate has consistently given ff a mandate to do whatever ff wants to do;
regardless of any wrongs ff commit, or have committed, 40% of the voters still give ff carte blanche to continue to do so;
therefore whatever ff do its with the permission, consent and collaboration of 40% of our family members, friends, neighbours, work colleagues, team mates, etc;
thats it, plain and simple;

flavirostris

You have to study the early history of the Party to understand the answer to that question. They started off as a cult who worshipped a deity called GUBU, he passed down the ancient laws of gombeenism, which the party faithful have adhered to ever since.

riker1969

I think its unfair to make a sweeping statement against FF. The majority of FF members and politicians are honest.Some are very Irish in respects-nod nod wink wink. They allowed a political parasite to take over their party-Haughey and his loose morality infected Ahern and others.Lemass and Lynch the two previous leaders were pictures of probity. De Valera was up to his neck in it with the Irish Press
FF have been in power too long and thus have more opportunity to be corrupt but what distinguishes FF from FG is that we immediately remove those who have crossed the line while FF tolerates them. Contrast Lowry with Ahern or the Flynn Girl.

Icemancometh

The scorpion stings the fox because it's his nature to do so. And isn't this thread a bit "when did you stop beating your wife?" Not gonna get much FFers here, just Nagy having another whinge.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
It comes from being in power almost indefinitely since 1932 in both national and local government. The problem for many of us though - and I come from a mainly FF-voting family (my mother is in her late 60's and has never voted for anyone else) - is that voting for FG equals govt policy being dictated by Labour, the proxy of the unions. In post-Celtic Tiger Ireland there is distrust of the public-sector unions living off the fat of the land through benchmarking while there is no such mechanism for the private-sector. I will probably vote for FG again in the local elections next year but not in the euros. My reasoning in 2004 on the locals is the same as now in the former case - most of the FF corruption happened in local-govt especially in terms of planning-permission and rezonings - and after some annoyance at the new regime's tenure a few years back I now think they are doing a better job than the previous council (esp. in terms of potholes and the new Lidl supermarket). But the point still stands that when the same crowd are in all the time, politicians can become part of a golden-circle of vested interests that are mutual allies against the public interest. The solution is for FG to either rule out a Coalition with Labour and to plow ahead with producing policies for public-sector reform, for Labour to cut the umbilical-cord with the unions and go down the New Labour route of embracing private-enterprise and the market, or else for the 2 parties to merge with the FG stance on public-sector reform being retained. Otherwise, Labour will continue to be FG's enemy-within, giving the unions a veto on alternative-govt policy.

Bom

Because they are bent hnau, and to be pitied as one pities the ill.

flavirostris

FutureTaoiseach said:
The problem for many of us though - and I come from a mainly FF-voting family (my mother is in her late 60's and has never voted for anyone else) - is that voting for FG equals govt policy being dictated by Labour, the proxy of the unions. In post-Celtic Tiger Ireland there is distrust of the public-sector unions living off the fat of the land through benchmarking while there is no such mechanism for the private-sector.

That is simply not true, more union members vote for FF than for Labour, so to speak of Labour being a 'proxy for the unions' is nonsense and it was an FF/PD government who presided over the giveaway to the public-sector unions through benchmarking. Your argument dosen't make sense.

akanji

I think their corruptions has something to do with their arrogancy for the fact that they control the country for over a decade and they somehow believed that nothing can touch them atall.

I remember that we have just had a newly elected TD in my community in county wexford anything i go to that FF TD for about matter affecting my family or myself as a TD, I tell you what the matter will even degenerated into an expanded problem that shouldn't be there if i had stick to myself in solving it with my ability, and he's so arrogant, but what we shall say to them is that, their days are numbered now since the people get to know who they are and i wish them well and say to them that they should continue to ride on the donkey. We are in for them now in anyway to eradicate their corruption in power. :roll:

I wonder if they become a minister we will be residing in jail i tell ya for nothing than their obsessions. :shock2:

:D

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
flavirostris said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
The problem for many of us though - and I come from a mainly FF-voting family (my mother is in her late 60's and has never voted for anyone else) - is that voting for FG equals govt policy being dictated by Labour, the proxy of the unions. In post-Celtic Tiger Ireland there is distrust of the public-sector unions living off the fat of the land through benchmarking while there is no such mechanism for the private-sector.

That is simply not true, more union members vote for FF than for Labour, so to speak of Labour being a 'proxy for the unions' is nonsense and it was an FF/PD government who presided over the giveaway to the public-sector unions through benchmarking. Your argument dosen't make sense.
It does make sense when you consider that Labour is bankrolled by the unions. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Norfolk Enchants

Nagy said:
I mean do they just attract a certain class of criminal?
Because they can be, because the Irish are Muppets and are used to being sh!t upon, they wipe it off, laugh and ask for more.

Just like with the struggle for independence, the few altruistic Irishmen and women who make sacrifice for change are treated with scorn by the majority.

The majority vote FF and FG and are self absorbed grabbers, adding the sixpence to the pence.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies