Why are Irish newspapers so expensive - is the bubble about to burst?

NapperTandy

The price of Irish newspapers(ROI) is crazy. The 3 main daily newspapers(Irish Independent, Irish Times & Irish Examiner) are far too expensive(€1.80 for a daily newspaper) . They have not brought down their prices, yet they continuously lecture everyone else about bringing down prices. An average newspaper in the North, Irish News, Belfast Telegraph etc , can be bought for 65pence(€0.75). This is nearly 60% cheaper than newspapers in the South. How can Irish newspaper publishers justify the difference in cost? I'm very surprised there hasn't been a newspaper price war in the South. I wonder is there an unofficial cartel in operation? Maybe the Competition Authority should investigate the Irish newspaper industry?

Last edited:

Factorem

Many regional banners (and national) are on the brink.

More than anything, I wish the Irish Times would feck off and die.

NapperTandy

Tabloids for the win.
Mirror a euro, Sun currently 90c.
Even they are expensive prices compared to U.K tabloids. The Daily Star in the U.K is currently selling at 20pence (€0.23). I mean the broadsheets more than the tabloids. a good broadsheet in the South should be selling for no more than €1.20.

sauntersplash

Yes, this bubble is about to burst. The medium is dead. Reporting in print is on the whole unreliable, subjective and cowardly as far as I can see.

If you enjoy mawkish opinion pieces by ignorant rabble rousers, or like to keep on top of Jennifer Anistons love life, grab a subscription. If not, look elsewhere for your news. Preferably to a person who isn't owned by a global corporation.

Panopticon

The price of Irish newspapers(ROI) is crazy. The 3 main daily newspapers are far too expensive(€1.80 for a daily newspaper) . They have not brought down their prices, yet they continuously lecture everyone else about bringing down prices. An average newspaper in the North, Irish News, Belfast Telegraph etc , can be bought for 65pence(€0.75). This is nearly 60% cheaper than newspapers in the South. How can Irish newspaper publishers justify the difference in cost? I'm very surprised there hasn't been a newspaper price war in the South. I wonder is there an unofficial cartel in operation? Maybe the Competition Authority should investigate the Irish newspaper industry?
Irish Times has bureaux in several foreign countries and a bigger journalistic bench than the Northern papers. I can't explain the Irish Independent.

It must be said, of course, that prices much lower than those charged at the moment would drive a lot of papers into heavy loss-making territory. The Becker-Posner Blog has suggested that the current economic crisis will be a major blow to the future of newspapers.

bobbysands81

Even they are expensive prices compared to U.K tabloids. The Daily Star in the U.K is currently selling at 20pence (€0.23). I mean the broadsheets more than the tabloids. a good broadsheet in the South should be selling for no more than €1.20.
Why should papers in the likes of Cork and Kerry be cheaper than Dublin?

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Obviously selling at 20p is a below-cost exercise aimed at drumming up new readers (readers of papers are notoriously slow to try others, despite the crapness of some papers, the Irish Times being the classic example in Ireland).
That's not a real price to compare with. Equally, VAT applies here and not in Britain or the North. And there are economies of scale to consider too, with higher fixed costs and smaller readerships in Ireland.
All that factored in, most Irish papers are reasonable value for what they are. But obviously the tabloids are the best value, and at around a euro, offer splendid value compared to many other items. (How much is a mars bar, an apple or a can of coke in a city centre shop these days?)

NapperTandy

Why should papers in the likes of Cork and Kerry be cheaper than Dublin?
Why shouldn't they be cheaper? It is a lot cheaper to run a regional newspaper than a national newspaper. The (Cork) Examiner(€1.80) is far too expensive compared to the price of the Irish News(€0.75)

NapperTandy

Obviously selling at 20p is a below-cost exercise aimed at drumming up new readers (readers of papers are notoriously slow to try others, despite the crapness of some papers, the Irish Times being the classic example in Ireland).
That's not a real price to compare with. Equally, VAT applies here and not in Britain or the North. And there are economies of scale to consider too, with higher fixed costs and smaller readerships in Ireland.
All that factored in, most Irish papers are reasonable value for what they are. But obviously the tabloids are the best value, and at around a euro, offer splendid value compared to many other items. (How much is a mars bar, an apple or a can of coke in a city centre shop these days?)
Irish Examiner €1.80

Irish News €0.75

Belfast Telegraph €0.75 (currency exchange rate)

How can you explain this price difference? Are the Irish News and Belfast Telegraph selling their newspapers at a loss?

Harmonica

The IT is ok price as at least it is original material. The Indo uses wire service for almost all its foreign content so don't understand why so expensive. Tabloids are cheaper as basically just gossip & entertainment sheets. Can't compare with UK papers due to large circulation.

CookieMonster

I haven't bought an Irish newspaper in months and months. The only actual paper I do but is the WSJ and the odd IHT, Guardian or Times* if I'm out and about and in need of something to read.

Irish Newspapers are appauling compared to international standards.

*The real Times not Vested Interests Daily

CookieMonster

The IT is ok price as at least it is original material. The Indo uses wire service for almost all its foreign content so don't understand why so expensive.
Because it's in competition with the IT, it doesn't need to compete on price as it's trouncing the IT on circulation by about 60k anyway.

Gruffalo

Many regional banners (and national) are on the brink.

More than anything, I wish the Irish Times would feck off and die.
Well the regional papers are ridiculous. In Offaly we have at least three papers for the county. In the 25+ years that lived there, there were not enough interesting events to fill a newspaper never mind fill three every week.

Jock_the_Waster

you can buy The Times for 95 cents

If you buy it on a Monday, you will see the same stories over the course of the following week in the Irish papers...

95 cents and you can stay current.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
you can buy The Times for 95 cents

If you buy it on a Monday, you will see the same stories over the course of the following week in the Irish papers...

95 cents and you can stay current.
Equally, you can buy the Sunday papers and read all the stories that will be printed in the Irish Times on Monday and Tuesday for free in the original.

PrinceMax

There is some issue with tax, and the cost of doing business in the North is probably less. I think the Irish Times represents fairly good value for money. The Irish examiner also. People see this, and therefore are willing to pay the money for it. I bought the Irish News a few years back and remember it wasn't very good. They'd really need to give it away for free.
I remember in Germany the papers were at a similar price. I think Die Welt was about 1.60 and I think the Frankfurer Algemeinne Zeitung was 1.60 also.

MsAnneThrope

Irish Independent today in Ireland: €1.80
Irish Independent today in Northern Ireland: €1.15 (£1.00)

:confused:

Jock_the_Waster

There is some issue with tax, and the cost of doing business in the North is probably less. I think the Irish Times represents fairly good value for money. The Irish examiner also. People see this, and therefore are willing to pay the money for it. I bought the Irish News a few years back and remember it wasn't very good. They'd really need to give it away for free.
I remember in Germany the papers were at a similar price. I think Die Welt was about 1.60 and I think the Frankfurer Algemeinne Zeitung was 1.60 also.
Rubbish.

The 'Times' costs 95 cents in Ireland

95 cents , as in .95 Euro tax VAT whatever included

best value newspaper in Ireland 1.45 on a Saturday and loads of original writing

none of the piety contained in the Guardian

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies