• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why are so many Irish people on disablity welfare?

Iphonista

There are roughly 250,000 Irish people in receipt of disability or sickness benefit. The proportion of the population in receipt of disability allowance – the most common disability benefit – has been rising sharply over the last decade. The numbers in receipt of it now exceed 100,000 people.

We also have the lowest level of employment amongst people with disabilities of all 27 EU member states.

What's going on? Are Irish people more prone to disability? Or are people scamming the system? Of course, it can suit governing parties to massage the unemployment figures by shoving some people on to disability benefits.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if more than a few GPs were happy to obligingly fill in the forms declaring a perfectly but workshy person as being disabled.

I think the Dutch had a problem with this a few years ago. I must look to see what they did - if anything.

Disability benefit expansion adds to workless underclass - The Irish Times - Fri, Jan 25, 2013

Crazy horse 6

I know of one case of a grown man on disability who has'nt worked since the day he left school (he 39 years old) and goes to the gym three or four times a week. At a guess i'd say this practice is widespread.

B

Boggle

I know of one case of a grown man on disability who has'nt worked since the day he left school (he 39 years old) and goes to the gym three or four times a week. At a guess i'd say this practice is widespread.
He may have mental issues such as depression.

Iphonista

It's worse than dole cheating. At least dole cheaters do some work.

Mackers

Maybe some of them are sick. While others are sick of working.

Clanrickard

There's a fellow digging some sort of trench with a pick and shovel outside my window. He's on disability.

mido

is he the same guy who eats puppies brains? or the guy who has 5 foreign holidays a year? I know a case of a grown group of bankers who bankrupted a country.

anyway, he can only get disability if it is certified by a medical prcatitioner- if you have concerns as expressed have you not reported them/
Disability and illness

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

B

Boggle

For over 20 years??
I don't know. Bit hard to judge based on a 3rd hand "guy I know" story which may or may not be influenced by how the originator felt about the guy but I'd imagine you need to go through a doctor to get illness benefit so odds are he is genuine.

UNless there is anyone on here who has or who knows someone who has fraudulently been able to claim the allowance.

Iphonista

heard he was your neighbour....
Yawn.

Let's say he is depressed. I know what depression is like. I found that getting out there and finding a job was the best antidote to depression. It got me out there meeting people and boosted my self esteem. Sitting around in the house is no cure for depression.

Ruff says Flaherty

True Republican

why not severe restrict criteria for disability allowance?

Sibelius

For over 20 years??
It's quite possible. Some mental illnesses are chronic and/or unresponsive to medical treatment.

To return to the main topic, do we have a higher rate of disability in Ireland compared to other countries? Might this be compounded by emigration, the people who leave being fitter and healthier, on average? Our generally unhealthy lifestyle probably doesn't help either.