Why are some countries more prone to football hooliganism?

Wascurito

The scenes from Amsterdam before and after the "friendly" match between the Netherlands and England last night show that football hooligans have not gone away. Attention in this part of the world will tend to focus on the behaviour of English hooligans as being the nearest manifestation of this phenomenon. And I don't think it's overstating it to regard football violence as a phenomenon. It's normal for rival football fans to have to be segregated at football matches - something that would be unthinkable at any GAA match.

Anyway, the English are by no means alone. There is ample of evidence football hooliganism being a problem in Russia, France, Germany (here and here) and Italy too - even while countries such as Ireland seem to be completely free of this behaviour. Does history play a part? If a country has an imperial history (and those 5 countries all do), are its fans more likely to see football as an opportunity to somehow reenact this history by attacking whoever The Other might be? Your thoughts, please.

General Urko

I have seen Republic of Ireland soccer fans home and away, make complete fúcking AHs out of themselves as well!

eoghanacht

It wasn't the poor Englischers fault it was those pesky Russian hooligans that made them do it.

General Urko

In what way?
Pissed out of their brains -

one in Poland near a train station, roaring about the women present and telling one lady she wasn't good looking because 'her titties were to small'!
One jumping into a canal in Amsterdam and untying a boat, before he was arrested.
One slapping a man having an epileptic attack on a bus telling him to 'cop himself on'!
There have also been hooligan incidents Cork City Fans having bottles fired at them in Oriel Park recently and Shams and Bohs Fans having goes at each other, including bringing AHs from minor Engerlish Firms over to join in!
Also there has been huge potential for some when The Nordies come down!

General Urko

It wasn't the poor Englischers fault it was those pesky Russian hooligans that made them do it.
Ordinary English Fans including women and children were attacked by an organized mob of Russian Hooligans at that match in France!

Wascurito

To be fair the population of England is huge.
So is the population of Spain but their fans have a far better reputation.

I have the impression that more RoI fans went to Euro 2016 in France than English fans. The English FA had to return their ticket allocation for some matches.

General Urko

So is the population of Spain but their fans have a far better reputation.

I have the impression that more RoI fans went to Euro 2016 in France than English fans. The English FA had to return their ticket allocation for some matches.
And France has a similar population also and they have not figured hugely at it!

Wascurito

Pissed out of their brains -

one in Poland near a train station, roaring about the women present and telling one lady she wasn't good looking because 'her titties were to small'!
One jumping into a canal in Amsterdam and untying a boat, before he was arrested.
One slapping a man having an epileptic attack on a bus telling him to 'cop himself on'!
There have also been hooligan incidents Cork City Fans having bottles fired at them in Oriel Park recently and Shams and Bohs Fans having goes at each other, including bringing AHs from minor Engerlish Firms over to join in!
Also there has been huge potential for some when The Nordies come down!
Most of that sounds like individuals being "AHs" rather than what seem to be preplanned incidents of mass civil disorder.

I've heard there is a minor (relatively speaking) problem in the League of Ireland. Are fans segregated for LoI matches?

nationalsday

The scenes from Amsterdam before and after the "friendly" match between the Netherlands and England last night show that football hooligans have not gone away. Attention in this part of the world will tend to focus on the behaviour of English hooligans as being the nearest manifestation of this phenomenon. And I don't think it's overstating it to regard football violence as a phenomenon. It's normal for rival football fans to have to be segregated at football matches - something that would be unthinkable at any GAA match.

Anyway, the English are by no means alone. There is ample of evidence football hooliganism being a problem in Russia, France, Germany (here and here) and Italy too - even while countries such as Ireland seem to be completely free of this behaviour. Does history play a part? If a country has an imperial history (and those 5 countries all do), are its fans more likely to see football as an opportunity to somehow reenact this history by attacking whoever The Other might be? Your thoughts, please.
There used to be plenty of GAA football violence back in the day.

I used to indulge a good bit in Croker of a Sunday afternoon - rarely watched any of actual football at the Dubs matches but just went along for the barney. Bashing the culchies - great fun :D. From recollection the Kildare supporters were the most violent although that isn't saying much. The culchies from Kerry usually did a legging job when we invaded the Hogan stand from the Hill.

General Urko

There is a view that the stopping of national service for a race that traditionally made violent fools out of themselves on military service when robbing and stealing all they could as imperialists, needs an outlet and that became football holiganism!

General Urko

I used to indulge a good bit in Croker of a Sunday afternoon - rarely watched any of actual football at the Dubs matches but just went along for the barney. Bashing the culchies - great fun :D. From recollection the Kildare supporters were the most violent although that isn't saying much. The culchies from Kerry usually did a legging job when we invaded the Hogan stand from the Hill.
So is GAA Hooliganism a sign of being a liberal cosmopolitan Jackeen?

Wascurito

I remember there being an occasional problem with Dublin fans but that's over 40 years ago.

EmeraldEyeAlice

There is a view that the stopping of national service for a race that traditionally made violent fools out of themselves on military service when robbing and stealing all they could as imperialists, needs an outlet and that became football holiganism!
That is a fantastic post I really couldn’t have put it better myself. I live in England and I can’t think of a more violent and aggressive people. People in my area constantly talk about going to Brentford matches to fight opposition fans Just because they support a different team. Makes me glad I have Irish Grandparents to be honest so I don’t have to associate myself with this country, when I’m old enough I can’t wait to leave.

nationalsday

So is GAA Hooliganism a sign of being a liberal cosmopolitan Jackeen?
Well I loved it!

Jackeen? i think that you were all out there waving your union jacks to her majesty on the recent royal visit, now

[video=youtube;ToRpqlvZPmg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToRpqlvZPmg[/video]

Wascurito

I've heard that argument. The Russians still have national service though - and a huge hooligan problem. Euro 2016 seemed to indicate that the English hooligans were easily beaten by their Russian counterparts so perhaps, all national service does is turn out better fighters....?

toughbutfair

I hope these fans go to Russia and act like they normally do, Putin and his goons will give them a good kicking and hopefully put them in a Russian jail, better bring some Vaseline !

GDPR

I've heard that argument. The Russians still have national service though - and a huge hooligan problem. Euro 2016 seemed to indicate that the English hooligans were easily beaten by their Russian counterparts so perhaps, all national service does is turn out better fighters....?
The Russians were defended by their own parliament, which would never happen in the UK.

Lebedev, an MP and the deputy chairman of the Russian parliament, tweeted: “In nine out of 10 cases football fans go to fight, and that’s normal. The lads defended the honour of their country and did not let English fans desecrate our motherland.”

The link nowadays is rightwing elements and hyper-nationalism rather than any country being innately more violent than another in Europe. This often starts at the top, like in Russia, where the hooligans feel they have state support.

Politics matters

I have seen Republic of Ireland soccer fans home and away, make complete fúcking AHs out of themselves as well!
BS, Irish fans are the best behaved.

They were adored by the Poles during Euro 2012 and France 2016.

You don't know what you're talking about.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies