• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why are the German Greens considering electoral suicide?

Shqiptar

Annihilation awaits any small left wing party that enters coalition with a big rightist party. The Irish Greens and Labour and the UK's Lib Dems perhaps told themselves they were crossing the political spectrum for the greater good. There was stalemate and the nation needed a government.

But the people - including many of their own supporters - probably saw an act of opportunism by which high-ranking members got a few bums on ministerial seats at the expense of the party as a whole.

No small leftist party should be entering coalition with a large rightist party to implement what will be five years of austerity and cutbacks - not unless they want the thrill of seeing their top people as ministers, followed by a brutal wipeout. Please take note, Sinn Féin. This is a crisis of right wing policies; let the right wingers sort it out.

Greens contemplate a post-election future with Merkel - The Irish Times - Fri, Apr 26, 2013

Last edited:

Iphonista

Crisis of right wing politics? That'll come as news to British voters whose economy was driven off the road by 13 years of Labour government.

Shqiptar

Crisis of right wing politics? That'll come as news to British voters whose economy was driven off the road by 13 years of Labour government.
That should have read "crisis of right wing policies". I've corrected it.

finbin o toole

This is a crisis of right wing politics; let the right wingers sort it out.

l][/QUOTE]

How right you are pun not intented.If we could only get a proper government and get to work on all that state waste and get down to an promoting entrepreneurial spirit instead of constant moaning the country might get off its ass.

FloatingVoterTralee

Highly unlikely such a situation would arise, as things stand the only arrangement that would command greater than 50% support in opinion polls is a SPD/CDU grand coalition.

shiel

I am not sure that saying ************************ the country and the underprivileged let the right wingers do what they like is good politics.

For one thing it got us to where we are with a bankrupt country.

Shqiptar

How right you are pun not intented.If we could only get a proper government and get to work on all that state waste and get down to an promoting entrepreneurial spirit instead of constant moaning the country might get off its ass.
An entrepreneurial spirit is fine. An entrepreneurial spirit that comes with the mouth open looking for bailouts when things go wrong isn't. Some people want the laws of the jungle to be enforced rigorously as long as they're winning. Then they demand safety nets and so much more when they start to lose.

Last edited:

finbin o toole

An entrepreneurial spirit is fine. An entrepreneurial spirit that comes with the mouth open looking for bailouts when things go wrong isn't. Some people want the laws of the jungle to be enforced rigorously as long as they're winning. Then they demand safety nets and so much more when they start to lose.[/QUOTE]

I keep agreeing with you 100% Let the right wing parties who just might sort the mess out do the job and let all the failures take the hit,

Shqiptar

I am not sure that saying ************************ the country and the underprivileged let the right wingers do what they like is good politics.

For one thing it got us to where we are with a bankrupt country.
Well, the budget needs to be balanced. Whether it's spending cuts or tax increases, I'm not disagreeing with the idea that the money needs to come from somewhere.

In Ireland in 2011, the Labour Party entered government for the first time in 14 years to clear up the crisis. They're enforcing unpopular policies and will face an electoral Armageddon in 2016. Who stands to gain? Fianna Fáil: the scumbags who cause the disaster in the first place.

With the benefit of a wonderful thing called hindsight, the LP should have stayed out in 2011 and forced FG and FF to come to an arrangement. It would have brought about a quasi-revolutionary and long overdue realignment in Irish politics.

Shqiptar

I keep agreeing with you 100% Let the right wing parties who just might sort the mess out do the job and let all the failures take the hit,
Okay, could you sort out the quote tags in the above post, please? Because it looks like I'm saying stuff that you said. :)

Shqiptar

Highly unlikely such a situation would arise, as things stand the only arrangement that would command greater than 50% support in opinion polls is a SPD/CDU grand coalition.
True....true....indeed, they (the Greens) may have inflicted serious damage on themselves by openly discussing a link up with the CDU.

shiel

Well, the budget needs to be balanced. Whether it's spending cuts or tax increases, I'm not disagreeing with the idea that the money needs to come from somewhere.

In Ireland in 2011, the Labour Party entered government for the first time in 14 years to clear up the crisis. They're enforcing unpopular policies and will face an electoral Armageddon in 2016. Who stands to gain? Fianna Fáil: the scumbags who cause the disaster in the first place.

With the benefit of a wonderful thing called hindsight, the LP should have stayed out in 2011 and forced FG and FF to come to an arrangement. It would have brought about a quasi-revolutionary and long overdue realignment in Irish politics.
Well it could also have forced an FG independents coalition.

But that would not be stable and it could have been more right wing with more damage done to the underprivileged and a bigger cry about 'austerity'.

What happened was more democratic.

Tea Party Patriot

Annihilation awaits any small left wing party that enters coalition with a big rightist party. The Irish Greens and Labour and the UK's Lib Dems perhaps told themselves they were crossing the political spectrum for the greater good. There was stalemate and the nation needed a government.

But the people - including many of their own supporters - probably saw an act of opportunism by which high-ranking members got a few bums on ministerial seats at the expense of the party as a whole.

No small leftist party should be entering coalition with a large rightist party to implement what will be five years of austerity and cutbacks - not unless they want the thrill of seeing their top people as ministers, followed by a brutal wipeout. Please take note, Sinn Féin. This is a crisis of right wing policies; let the right wingers sort it out.

Greens contemplate a post-election future with Merkel - The Irish Times - Fri, Apr 26, 2013
So our crisis (i.e. our budget deficite) made up of zany social welfare rates, a doubling of the HSE budget over a ten year period, the highest paid civil service in Europe, and loads of quangos enforcing nanny state regulations is right wing? I would hate to see what your definition of left wing is :shock:

electoralshock

I often wonder what people will happen after a realignment of Irish politics. Will all our problems be solved? This realignment and an united Ireland are the two issues which goes down as 'what if' scenarios. It all sounds utopian, I like to know what people expect will happen once these two issues have being achieved?

feargach

Austerity is horrible and I hate it. But it does have one upside: it is reducing the growth of CO2 emissions in the affected countries.

Much as I hate it, austerity is having an unintended effect on transport-related greenhouse gases. It's destroying the lives of millions to the effect that they can no longer afford cars or, if they can just about hold on to them, to drive them sparingly.

It's an evil, horrible way to achieve a desirable goal, like reducing childhood obesity by enforced induced vomiting.

Volatire

Austerity is horrible and I hate it. But it does have one upside: it is reducing the growth of CO2 emissions in the affected countries.

Much as I hate it, austerity is having an unintended effect on transport-related greenhouse gases. It's destroying the lives of millions to the effect that they can no longer afford cars or, if they can just about hold on to them, to drive them sparingly.

It's an evil, horrible way to achieve a desirable goal, like reducing childhood obesity by enforced induced vomiting.
you are sick in the head

Cai

I think he said a 'a crisis of right wing policies' - not politics. New Labour was certainly right wing.

Shqiptar

I think he said a 'a crisis of right wing policies' - not politics. New Labour was certainly right wing.
It was an error on my part. I had "policies" in my head but typed "politics". #BlondeMoment

Shqiptar

Heh heh.....so the Greens should be pro-austerity?