• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why are the HSE spending money on public awareness of the effectiveness of antibiotics when they are only available on prescription?

redhead

Why are the HSE spending money on public awareness of the effectiveness of antibiotics when they are only available on prescription?

As cold and flu season begins to take hold, leading clinicians have united to promote the correct use of antibiotics on European Antibiotics Awareness Day.

Dr Fidelma Fitzpatrick, Consultant Microbiologist and HSE/RCPI clinical lead said that while antibiotics have transformed modern medicine, a casual attitude towards them is damaging their effectiveness.

"The evidence is very clear - overuse and misuse of antibiotics has allowed bacteria to develop ways of protecting themselves and we are seeing an alarming rise in antibiotic -resistant infections such as drug resistant bacteria that cause pneumonia, meningitis, MRSA and E.coli," said Dr Fitzpatrick.

A survey on public attitudes to anti biotic usage carried out by the HSE show that attitudes to antibiotics are changing.
Am I the only one that thinks this is strange? I have of course come across people who mistakenly think that antibiotics will cure a cold or flu, however surely the casual attitude must be stemming from the prescribing practices of doctors? A simple "no antibiotics aren't necessary in your case" is hardly beyond the reach of most GPs. Or am I missing something?

Clinicians urge correct antibiotic use - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 21, 2012

Sync

1. People will often take some of other people's antibiotics thinking it will help them.
2. People will often not finish their regime because they feel better
3. People will often go to the doctor asking for antibiotics when bedrest is what's needed. This wastes the GP's time while also exposing the person to whatever the patients waiting to be seen may be carrying.

southwestkerry

I fully agree with you on this. Their is a on going trend by GP's is a bit miffeling. Just 6-7 years ago my family GP dismissed the use off antibiotics for a family member who was always getting quiet bad doses off the flu at winter time.
Then just last year I heard that two old relatives were been prescribes antibiotics for the same type off flu.
I think myself that any thing on prescription is been pushed as a easy answer for just about any thing nowadays.

B

Boggle

Same reason as everything else... their buddies in RTE need advertising. It's only the health budget after all.

firefly123

I fully agree with you on this. Their is a on going trend by GP's is a bit miffeling. Just 6-7 years ago my family GP dismissed the use off antibiotics for a family member who was always getting quiet bad doses off the flu at winter time.
Then just last year I heard that two old relatives were been prescribes antibiotics for the same type off flu.
I think myself that any thing on prescription is been pushed as a easy answer for just about any thing nowadays.
OAPs might have a risk of secondary infections due to immune suppression. That's what the antibiotics are for not the flu. Healthy individuals with flu don't need antibiotics. The need rest and fluids.....AND THEY DON'T NEED A BLOODY AMBULANCE!! ( sorry it's a pet hate of mine).

B

Boggle

OAPs might have a risk of secondary infections due to immune suppression. That's what the antibiotics are for not the flu. Healthy individuals with flu don't need antibiotics. The need rest and fluids.....AND THEY DON'T NEED A BLOODY AMBULANCE!! ( sorry it's a pet hate of mine).
It's a handy way to skip waiting in A&E apparently.

redhead

1. People will often take some of other people's antibiotics thinking it will help them.
3. People will often go to the doctor asking for antibiotics when bedrest is what's needed. This wastes the GP's time while also exposing the person to whatever the patients waiting to be seen may be carrying.
1. People should never take anybody else's prescription medication for anything, doctors, pharmacists and PIL's make this very clear.
2. A course of antibiotics should always be completed, again doctors, pharmacists and PIL's make this very clear.
3. That is a valid point, perhaps the real aim of the exercise is to stop people clogging up GP surgeries but the campaign focuses on the problems associated with excessive consumption of antibiotics and this is still within the domain of prescribing practices of GP's.

southwestkerry

I do not recall my relatives telling me anything about secondary infection risk. I still think its all to do with conveniences for GP's themselves. Pills for anything and everything is the new motto I think.
PS...
I might add, years ago GP only gave out antibiotics when some one had an infection that required them. These days people are getting them just in case they MAY get any such infection.
Its no wounder our immune systems are getting lazy at fitting infections. Getting pills just in case we might get sick!!!

Last edited:

Tea Party Patriot

A lot of people bring antibiotics home from Spain with them to avoid giving €50 to the doctor here, others buy them on the internet. Over use of antibiotics is actually aiding the evolution of bacteria towards the day where thousands of more strains will be resistant to antibiotics than are today.

redhead

A lot of people bring antibiotics home from Spain with them to avoid giving €50 to the doctor here, others buy them on the internet. Over use of antibiotics is actually aiding the evolution of bacteria towards the day where thousands of more strains will be resistant to antibiotics than are today.
I wasn't aware of that. Anyone who buys medication over the internet needs their head examined.

vladimir

You'd be amazed the amount of people who are content with their GP appointment once they get their prescription for antibiotics, even if that treatment is unnecessary. You'll commonly here ignorant fools say "€50 and he didn't even give me an antibiotic, told me just to take paracetamol and rest". The over-prescribing is a poor reflection on GPs also, but that is the reality of commercial pressure they face which often trumps best clinical practice, and serves to keep an ignorant patient on side for repeat business.

bonkers

1. People should never take anybody else's prescription medication for anything, doctors, pharmacists and PIL's make this very clear.
2. A course of antibiotics should always be completed, again doctors, pharmacists and PIL's make this very clear.
3. That is a valid point, perhaps the real aim of the exercise is to stop people clogging up GP surgeries but the campaign focuses on the problems associated with excessive consumption of antibiotics and this is still within the domain of prescribing practices of GP's.
The idiot who lives across the road from me was feeling sick and he got an antibiotic from a friend. His head swelled up like a balloon, his lips were huge and he found it difficult to breathe. He ended up in hospital (via firefly) and was very lucky he didn't die. Anyone who takes another persons script needs their head examined.

Last edited:

vladimir

The idiot who lives across the road from was feeling sick and he got an antibiotic frm a friend. His his swelled up like a balloon, his lips were huge and he found it difficult to breathe. He ended up in hospital (via firefly) and was very lucky he didn't die. Anyone who takes another persons script needs their head examined.
The friend is lucky the idiot who took the antibiotics did not pursue some sort of claim against him for illegal supply of medicine, such is the entitlement country in this country.

Mountaintop

For those of a certain vintage...

[video=youtube;H898Vr7Koss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H898Vr7Koss[/video]

Cheque please Minister Reilly...

redhead

The idiot who lives across the road from was feeling sick and he got an antibiotic frm a friend. His his swelled up like a balloon, his lips were huge and he found it difficult to breathe. He ended up in hospital (via firefly) and was very lucky he didn't die. Anyone who takes another persons script needs their head examined.
The friend is lucky the idiot who took the antibiotics did not pursue some sort of claim against him for illegal supply of medicine, such is the entitlement country in this country.
Perhaps the money spent on this campaign would have been better spent on one regarding the dangers of taking other people's medications, which would be of much greater benefit to the general public.

shoneen

Relation of mine used to do GP locums. The amount of verbal abuse she got for not prescribing antibiotics was unreal. As sombody pointed out, the attitude was I paid my cash, now where are my pills. Paticularly from parents. You'd think they'd be happy their child didn't need an antibiotic.

bonkers

Maybe it would be good if that actually happened. Might waken people up to the dangers of this.

Sync

Perhaps the money spent on this campaign would have been better spent on one regarding the dangers of taking other people's medications, which would be of much greater benefit to the general public.
Quite possibly.

jimmydec

Quite possibly.
from people i know who work in gp surgery public are getting better about understanding avoidance antibiotics .Had this discussion with them lately. Elderly people more likely to need them-- confirmed x recent advise from geratrician. eastern european patients brilliant at trying to avoid antibiotics , some other nationalities including the irish not so brilliant