Why are there asylum seekers from South Africa?

Disillusioned democrat

Last week - or perhaps the one before that - RTE had a Late Debate piece about Direct Provision and the super objective Katie Hannon decided who best to ask for an opinion than someone living in DP.

It turned out to be a South African who, surprisingly, didn't think DP was good enough for him and who wanted a greater say in how he was housed in Ireland.

I've a sister and brother-in-law just coming home from a holiday they loved in South Africa and was watching Munster Rugby play there over the weekend and was struck by the fact that it doesn't come across as the kind of place people would need "asylum" from.

I know it's not fair to judge people retrospectively, but I did come to wonder why the super objective Katie Hannon didn't try to enlighten her audience by asking her source into the evils of DP just how they came to need to seek asylum from a democratic holiday destination.

Serious question - does anyone know why there are asylum seekers from South Africa?

Dame_Enda

...and yet the super objective RTE journalist never even thought to ask....
State TV.

I'll tell you one thing that never ceases to amaze me. That is why NGOs that are opposed to 20 yrs of govt policy on asylum have been so heavily funded by the DOJ that is implementing that policy.

recedite

Or if they were some of the non-indigenous people that are being discriminated against in the jobs market.
Managers at the eThekwini Municipality have lashed out at the prospect of an employment equity bill being passed that would prevent Indian, white or coloured people from taking up senior positions

Lonewolfe

What an offensive, disgusting, hideous, awful, rotten, racist, hate filled, bigoted, and narrow minded question to ask!

Zooooooooo!

Ireland is Different!

RTE had a piece on the DP centre in Wicklow, 1 year on. They interviewed a Sth African woman there who is claiming asylum...a white Afrikaner qualified teacher!!

atkin8

What is more bizzare is that South Africans can enter Ireland with a visa . Those non South Africans can get a South African residence card easily there and then a passport . They can also apply for refugee status something that should be checked by INIS .

yosef shompeter

RTE had a piece on the DP centre in Wicklow, 1 year on. They interviewed a Sth African woman there who is claiming asylum...a white Afrikaner qualified teacher!!
(Laughs) Somehow I can well imagine that she can make a very strong and valid case. ☺
I don't know if South Africa is still the rape capital of the world but it's probably not very far off. High on the HIV index too. I recently read the memoirs of John Simpson "Strange Places, Questionable People". He spent his working life as an international reporter with the BBC. He reported on South Africa during the time when White Rule dissolved into Black Majority rule. Of course being a gentle soul from the Oxbridge set he was very sympathetic to Nelson Mandela and totally opposed to the Apartheid regime. His unwitting description of some of his old haunts in Johanissberg said it all though. He describes how back in his day, there was no crime in his favourite book-shop part of town. The white police drove it all away. Now there were no decent shops or whites. The danger and the gangs (of tanned gentlemen) had driven them all away. The poor chappie didn't realize what he was really saying. A nice romantic old gentleman. I can see that it's only right and just that the majority should rule the country, but what a calamitous come-down for a safe, healthy, prosperous state. I've no doubt that the overwhelming majority of ordinary people in South Africa hearken back to the good old days.
What a come-down.
So now South Africans -- black and white -- can come here and successfully argue for Asylum, the right to work and if all goes according to that fellow Lucky's plan they can have the right to 3rd level education. But if they can also claim dole and rent subsidy in the housing and rental market -- that is going to increase the pressure on the FG govt. Housing/homelessness may be what brings them down.

Sweet Darling

The" first nation peoples" were all expecting a box of Freedom which never materialized when the Euronatives lost power.
They are all still living in shanty towns because the "New People" in charge are a bunch of greedy communists, stuffing their own and friends pockets

wombat

It turned out to be a South African who, surprisingly, didn't think DP was good enough for him and who wanted a greater say in how he was housed in Ireland.
Probably heard that if he can get on a homeless list, he'd be put up in a hotel for the summer?

Northsideman

What an offensive, disgusting, hideous, awful, rotten, racist, hate filled, bigoted, and narrow minded question to ask!

Zooooooooo!
You are joking right, it's a very legitimate query.

CatullusV

South Africa is obviously a democracy so South Africa should be added to the list of safe-countries from which asylum claims will not be admissible.
Have you ever spent a moment there? It's a fūcking dangerous place. In my times there I had to leave the safe spots. It is one thing to go there on holiday, and another thing entirely to live there.

The cops demand that homeowners have guns. Without them owning arms they are on their own.

Leave your bedroom and experience life outside it.

Dame_Enda

Have you ever spent a moment there? It's a fūcking dangerous place. In my times there I had to leave the safe spots. It is one thing to go there on holiday, and another thing entirely to live there.

The cops demand that homeowners have guns. Without them owning arms they are on their own.

Leave your bedroom and experience life outside it.
Its funny how many people, when claiming to simply escaping from danger, cross so many safe poor countries to get to a wealthy one and then claim to be refugees. I don't think the crime rate in a country is a legitimate reason for an asylum claim.

CatullusV

Its funny how many people, when claiming to simply escaping from danger, cross so many safe poor countries to get to a wealthy one and then claim to be refugees. I don't think the crime rate in a country is a legitimate reason for an asylum claim.
South Africa has considerable sway on the Continent of Africa. If most countries accepted asylum seekers from SA those seeking asylum would be sent back.

You're not the one who determines the legitimacy of any asylum request, and certainly not when you have none of the facts of this or any other case.

The crime rate is not the issue that would come under consideration, in any event. An applicant needs to demonstrate that they would face threats if returned.

Disillusioned democrat

South Africa has considerable sway on the Continent of Africa. If most countries accepted asylum seekers from SA those seeking asylum would be sent back.

You're not the one who determines the legitimacy of any asylum request, and certainly not when you have none of the facts of this or any other case.

The crime rate is not the issue that would come under consideration, in any event. An applicant needs to demonstrate that they would face threats if returned.
...but the problem with DP and the whole process is the ridiculous timelines it takes to even get to the point where these questions are raised.

Follow the money - there's a lot of it being wasted on DP locations full of people who ultimately will be found not eligible for asylum, but as long as there are well connected landlords and solicitors making bank from the process it won't change.

People in DP, like the homeless, are collateral damage in the capitalist Valhalla our successive governments have created.

CatullusV

...but the problem with DP and the whole process is the ridiculous timelines it takes to even get to the point where these questions are raised.

Follow the money - there's a lot of it being wasted on DP locations full of people who ultimately will be found not eligible for asylum, but as long as there are well connected landlords and solicitors making bank from the process it won't change.

People in DP, like the homeless, are collateral damage in the capitalist Valhalla our successive governments have created.
That is a separate point.

Disillusioned democrat

That is a separate point.
Not really - we've asylum seekers from SA here in DP for years before the authorities determine they really have no right to be here, and then there's the appeals process so they're here for another few years.

Surely the initial triage should be based on the fact that we just shouldn't take asylum seekers from SA.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies