Why are we so anti-landord?

Reasunach

'My landlord is making my life hell' - Pensioner (77) says landlord threatened to kick her out after she refused rent increase - Independent.ie

I am well aware how, historically, we have a chip on our shoulders regarding absentee landlords, but why do we always assume that landlords are parastical, greedy lowlifes? If (and I stress IF) I was in the unfortunate position of having to deal with is woman, I would be more inclined to think she is playing the ageist card. The place was immaculate when she moved in. As a tenant, does she not believe she has an obligation to do her part to keep it clean, or does she expect her landlord to provide a cleaner and a gardener? And maybe a stable boy for her ponies??

TheWolf

'My landlord is making my life hell' - Pensioner (77) says landlord threatened to kick her out after she refused rent increase - Independent.ie

I am well aware how, historically, we have a chip on our shoulders regarding absentee landlords, but why do we always assume that landlords are parastical, greedy lowlifes? If (and I stress IF) I was in the unfortunate position of having to deal with is woman, I would be more inclined to think she is playing the ageist card. The place was immaculate when she moved in. As a tenant, does she not believe she has an obligation to do her part to keep it clean, or does she expect her landlord to provide a cleaner and a gardener? And maybe a stable boy for her ponies??
The vast majority of landlords in this country have a single property they let.
There's no profit in it, I can tell you that.

Dame_Enda

Im not anti landlord in theory but I think people feel many landlords are discriminating against poorer would-be tenants by refusing to accept rent allowance and by unreasonable rent increases.

Reasunach

The vast majority of landlords in this country have a single property they let.
There's no profit in it, I can tell you that.
Indeed. Irresponsible journalism is merely fanning the flames. On the one hand she would move if she could, on the other she has settled and has friends in the area and doesn't want to move. Unspoken is the question of finding another landlord who would be willing to accommodate ponies...

Nemesiscorporation

Ireland is one of the most landlord friendly countries on the planet and one of the most tenent unfriendly.

Reasunach

Ireland is one of the most landlord friendly countries on the planet and one of the most tenent unfriendly.
Puhleeease...landlords, intentional or otherwise are the most villified class on this island (outside of Trump supporters)

stopdoingstuff

Because everyone wants to be one and they are not, or at the very least we know deep down that real freedom comes from not having to move for man nor beast if you don't want to i.e. owning your own place.

sadmal

Indeed. Irresponsible journalism is merely fanning the flames. On the one hand she would move if she could, on the other she has settled and has friends in the area and doesn't want to move. Unspoken is the question of finding another landlord who would be willing to accommodate ponies...
i don't think an increase of 50 euro per month after three years is excessive. She was paying €550 a month for a house plus land to keep ponies on, it sounds very reasonable to me.

statsman

We're long of memory and short of change.

Reasunach

i don't think an increase of 50 euro per month after three years is excessive. She was paying €550 a month for a house plus land to keep ponies on, it sounds very reasonable to me.
I would agree. This whole article screams "victimhood" to me. There are responsible landlords out there. I know at least two people who rent at incredibly low prices for the area they live in as the landlord is happy to have a tenant who looks after the place. One is in Dublin 8, the other in Dublin 11 so both sides of the city are represented.

Hunter-Gatherer

oh the longterm vision of ''policymakers'' in ireland is a joke. They bounce around public opinion trying to buy votes.

there's a housing crisis. What is the reaction ? regulate the bejaysus out of the market. Net result....all the pre-63 old buildings that used to house a 25 tenants will now be converted back to family homes...housing a handful, and putting another 20 people onto a street near you, this week.

thus we are evicting thousands.

rent caps ? thus all the landlords close down , meaning less accommodation for hire, meaning a worsening of the housing crisis.

Lefty crap. Its like the Soviet Union in 1988. All rules and no carrott.

Last edited:

amist4

Im not anti landlord in theory but I think people feel many landlords are discriminating against poorer would-be tenants by refusing to accept rent allowance and by unreasonable rent increases.
If you think the rent allowance guarantees the landlord his rent, you are delusional. And that's before dealing with additional wear and tear that a tenant, quite possible not encumbered by having to go to work entails. Any landlord taking rent allowance is rolling the dice.

Reasunach

oh the longterm vision of ''policymakers'' in ireland is a joke. They bounce around public opinion trying to buy votes.

there's a housing crisis. What is the reaction ? regulate the bejaysus out of the market. Net result....all the pre-63 old buildings that used to house a dozen tenants will now be converted back to family homes...housing a handful, and putting another 15 people onto a street near you, this week.

thus we are evicting thousands.

rent caps ? thus all the landlords close down , meaning less accommodation for hire, meaning a worsening of the housing crisis.

Lefty crap. Its like the Soviet Union in 1988. All rules and no carrott.
I wouldn't advocate a return to the tenements of past, but it is a sad fact that small, self contained, one bedroom units are very difficult to find and lets face it, we all don't want to have "housemates" as we get older. The "unauthorised hostels" as recently featured in the media are not the answer either. The PRTB needs to flex its muscles, not just with the landlords, but also the tenants and the local authorities.

gerhard dengler

It is in the interests of the state that as many people as possible own their own home.

The fact of the matter is that many people cannot, or choose not, to buy a home of their own.

Why is this the case?
I guess some people do not have the financial resources to do. And property in this country is relatively expensive. And the state decided decades ago to get out of tenancy/home ownership.

In that context landlords have become a fact of life.

But ultimately we need to see more people owning their own homes.

im axeled

another main reason is when we see like on another thread here a mother and a disabled child fckud out of their home, possibly to one of the vulture funds which have charitable status,

im axeled

why cant that baldy so and so noonan show some charity to his one country people, especially the disabled, who history shows how he prefers to piss upon rather than helping, he surely has an appointment with the devil, if he has not then karma does not exist

Reasunach

It is in the interests of the state that as many people as possible own their own home.

The fact of the matter is that many people cannot, or choose not, to buy a home of their own.

Why is this the case?
I guess some people do not have the financial resources to do. And property in this country is relatively expensive. And the state decided decades ago to get out of tenancy/home ownership.

In that context landlords have become a fact of life.

But ultimately we need to see more people owning their own homes.
10 years ago I would have agreed with you, but times have changed. If I was do do it all again, I would have spent my 20s renting with friends in locations close to college/work before I settled on an area I wanted to buy in, Renting does give you freedom to move around before the millstone of a mortgage is applied. Also, there needs to be an availabilty of smaller places for newly single people to live. We need to face facts. Marriage breakdown is a reality and we all know where the War of the Roses ended (the movie, not the actual war)

stopdoingstuff

Home ownership should form the basis of a permanent wealth redistribution policy.

gerhard dengler

10 years ago I would have agreed with you, but times have changed. If I was do do it all again, I would have spent my 20s renting with friends in locations close to college/work before I settled on an area I wanted to buy in, Renting does give you freedom to move around before the millstone of a mortgage is applied. Also, there needs to be an availabilty of smaller places for newly single people to live. We need to face facts. Marriage breakdown is a reality and we all know where the War of the Roses ended (the movie, not the actual war)
Fair points.

Marriage breakdown is certainly a fact of life unfortunately.

The amount of people who I know, who's marriages have imploded, practically all of them have had to sell/vacate the family home. These people are now in their 40/50's. So even if they wanted to try to re-establish what they had previously in terms of their home, chances are that they won't be able to do so. In the meantime, both spouses need somewhere to live and if they have children in tow they need somewhere to live as well.

I'd still hold that it is in the states interest for as many people as possible to own their own homes.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies