Why Can't We Be Nice People Like The English?

Irish-Rationalist

Norn Iron is purported to have a reputation as being a (so-called) country of warm, friendly, hospitable people. Personally, I've never viewed it that way. In fact, I know through personal experience that NI has it's fair share of cold, hard, inhospitable bastards. Of course we've had some nice celebrities, like Gloria Hunniford, Eamonn Holmes and Patrick Kielty; all of whom left for England, learned how to speak English, and consequently did very well for themselves.

Norn Iron is traditionally characterised by the Prod-Taig dichotomy, but there's another divide which has been ignored, and that's the social class divide. Working class cabbages and middle class w@nkers are to be found in NI just like everywhere else, and they're equally irritating and unlikeable. Working class cabbages have the effect of assaulting the inner ear canal when they speak, and middle class w@nker's predilection to affect airs and graces just makes them appear false and pretentious.

Nice, down to earth, soft spoken, middle class English people are much more natural, grounded and likable, as they're at ease with themselves, and not coarse and crude like the cabbages, nor contrived and affected like the socially aspiring wannabe Norn Irish middle class. Their mode of speech is like a natural music to the ears, and their unassuming manner much more palatable than the sense of entitlement complex characteristic of competitive Norn Irish middle class w@nkers.

The way forward is obviously for everyone to begin feigning a soft middle English accent, and through practice and proliferation this shall eventually erode and supersede the regional speech impediment which has traditionally masqueraded as the Norn Irish accent. Then we should strive to be genuinely nice people, not obviously fake nice people with a lot of repressed nastiness which frequently leaks out.

Let's face, it, Norn Irish people are generally rubbish, and the best way to improve ourselves is to strive to become nice English people like Ben Fogle.

Ireniall

Norn Iron is purported to have a reputation as being a (so-called) country of warm, friendly, hospitable people. Personally, I've never viewed it that way. In fact, I know through personal experience that NI has it's fair share of cold, hard, inhospitable bastards. Of course we've had some nice celebrities, like Gloria Hunniford, Eamonn Holmes and Patrick Kielty; all of whom left for England, learned how to speak English, and consequently did very well for themselves.

Norn Iron is traditionally characterised by the Prod-Taig dichotomy, but there's another divide which has been ignored, and that's the social class divide. Working class cabbages and middle class w@nkers are to be found in NI just like everywhere else, and they're equally irritating and unlikeable. Working class cabbages have the effect of assaulting the inner ear canal when they speak, and middle class w@nker's predilection to affect airs and graces just makes them appear false and pretentious.

Nice, down to earth, soft spoken, middle class English people are much more natural, grounded and likable, as they're at ease with themselves, and not coarse and crude like the cabbages, nor contrived and affected like the socially aspiring wannabe Norn Irish middle class. Their mode of speech is like a natural music to the ears, and their unassuming manner much more palatable than the sense of entitlement complex characteristic of competitive Norn Irish middle class w@nkers.

The way forward is obviously for everyone to begin feigning a soft middle English accent, and through practice and proliferation this shall eventually erode and supersede the regional speech impediment which has traditionally masqueraded as the Norn Irish accent. Then we should strive to be genuinely nice people, not obviously fake nice people with a lot of repressed nastiness which frequently leaks out.

Let's face, it, Norn Irish people are generally rubbish, and the best way to improve ourselves is to strive to become nice English people like Ben Fogle.

We have some lovely genuine oirish accents in the south IR. I could recommend them wholeheartedly. It might mean spending a few weeks in Foxrock though but 'twoud be worth it.

Irish-Rationalist

We have some lovely genuine oirish accents in the south IR. I could recommend them wholeheartedly. It might mean spending a few weeks in Foxrock though but 'twoud be worth it.
When I hear a real (Southern) Irish accent my inner dialogue goes something along the lines of "Are you f*cking kidding me? Seriously?". I simultaneously experience images of pikemen.

GDPR

I blame bad diets, dangerous levels of alcohol consumption and a low level of cultural development; in other words pastie baps, Buckfast and bwands.

Irish-Rationalist

I blame bad diets, dangerous levels of alcohol consumption and a low level of cultural development; in other words pastie baps, Buckfast and bwands.
I know a young Loyalist who'll go buck daft when he reads this.

ON THE ONE ROAD

i used to work in belfast, found the place very hospitable so long as the understanding was that you weren't staying.

runwiththewind

Pie.ie just gets worse and worse with every new thread.

Time Pie.ie was abolished.

runwiththewind

Couldn't agree more. If I wanted comedy I'd go to The Irish Times' politics section.

:D
It used to be a good discussion board but no more.

Irish-Rationalist

Pie.ie just gets worse and worse with every new thread.

Time Pie.ie was abolished.
There's no debate in the unionists in the NI section of the site. They have no arguments. So there's no more point in attempting serious discussion with them, as when confronted with truth they simply run away.

The NI section of P.ie should indeed be abolished, and I've advocated for this for the following reasons:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/northern-ireland/250592-solution-ni-forum.html

This section of the site's regulars are painfully f*cking boring, and if you can't have a laugh to ease the monotony, well, you can't have anything..

DT123

The unionists have nothing to debate with you about.

The status quo is NI in the UK for the forseeable future. All your blathering about 800 years of oppression isn't going to change that.

If you have any interesting or radical proposals for the future, feel free to share them.

Irish-Rationalist

The status quo is NI in the UK for the forseeable future. All your blathering about 800 years of oppression isn't going to change that.

If you have any interesting or radical proposals for the future, feel free to share them.
Thank God you're back. The forum has been lacking some fresh and innovative thought.

DT123

Thank God you're back. The forum has been lacking some fresh and innovative thought.
You're the man thats life's ambition is too get unionists to debate 800 years of oppression, before admitting how wrong their position is and begging for a UI.

"'Innovative"', indeed.

It isn't going to happen.

Accept that.

Accept the status quo.

And then if you have something to offer the future of NI, bring it forward.

That's the only game in town for Irish republicans vis a via NI.

Ó Ghabhainn

There's your reason why, IR.

It's not about right and wrong. It's about winning.

Cabbages in large numbers. The GFA was a loss (but a win, because large numbers say so), SAA was a loss (but again, a win), Hillsborough was a loss (but a win)...in essence, every loss can be spun to a win.

The end result might actually be a win, but is spun as a loss. This is what they say about Brexit, even though Remainers are turning out to be right; it's about winning, not right and wrong.

Irish-Rationalist

You're the man thats life's ambition is too get unionists to debate 800 years of oppression, before admitting how wrong their position is and begging for a UI.

"'Innovative"', indeed.

It isn't going to happen.

Accept that.

Accept the status quo.

And then if you have something to offer the future of NI, bring it forward.

That's the only game in town for Irish republicans vis a via NI.
Typical egocentric unionist thinking. I've merely presented a Republican analysis and perspective on Irish history as a challenge to unionists; to get you to view the past from the perfectly valid and legitimate position of republicanism.

Not one of you have been able to refute anything I've presented, as the undemocratic partition of Ireland is an undeniable historical fact. Not one has offered any substantial argument to defend the unionist position, as you know that it's increasingly untenable.

Saying "it isn't going to happen" and "Accept the status quo" is just a complacent way of saying leave us alone.

Can you not get your head around that so long as this island is partitioned, Irish Republicans of all shades shall always have a reason to exist?

*EPIC SUCCESS*

What decade will you begin this great undertaking so?

:lol:

Irish-Rationalist

What decade will you begin this great undertaking so?

:lol:
Christmas 2016. I'm in the process of organising a national campaign of raising self awareness, whereby NI people shall be enlightened of their inherent nastiness, and encouraged to become genuinely nice people like the English, Ben Fogle in particular. As you can see, nice English people get the doggy licks, and that's just one motivating incentive.

At the Christmas dinner table, where most family arguments take place, and year long repressed intra-familial grudges and animosities are manifested via alcohol over-consumption, I'd also like to see the heads of Norn Irish households wait until the central argument has reached it's crescendo, then abruptly rise to their feet, hurl dinners plates to the ground, and exclaim in a loud, exasperated, shrill "For the love of God, why can't we just be nice English people like Ben Fogle!?!?".

This could be built upon with a new year's national advertising campaign on TV and billboard, with the slogan "Let's be nice English people like Ben Fogle". Some curmudgeons and recalcitrant begrudgers are obviously going to resist the proposed change, but once the message that they're essentially sh1t hits home, just watch the transformation in attitude.

GDPR

I actually thought that Had 247 was basically a nice lad, not that I would approve of his flegging; I hope he rejoins us regularly.

Irish-Rationalist

I actually thought that Had 247 was basically a nice lad, not that I would approve of his flegging; I hope he rejoins us regularly.
He reminded me of Tim nice but dim.

New Threads

Most Replies