Why didn't the crowds come out to protest about the budget today?

TommyO'Brien

I was expecting thousands to turn up today, even with the weather, to protest about the budget. So clearly did the gardaí.

So what happened? The crowds today were dire, about 400 at their biggest, when a feeder march joined those already there. The old folk could pack from the gates of the Dáil down to the Passport office. At times today the crowds were so tiny the traffic would pass easily behind them on Kildare Street. There seemed to be almost as many gardaí as protesters.

I was genuinely surprised.

So what happened? Where did all the promised marchers go?

He3

Why did your party not call for people to come out?

royalpixie

Well the weather is actually a big problem for a lot of us especially those of us living outside Dublin. And then many of us have caring commitments and while us carers have been shafted in this budget it is very hard for us to get there and protest because what do we do about those we care for? I certainly would not bring my 3yr who has disabilities there in this cold.

Mushroom

Probably because Man U was on the telly.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Pointless gesture politics. As I've said before we're not Greek, we're not French and we're not stupid. We're (generally) bright enough to know that there is no real alternative on offer.

TommyO'Brien

Joe Higgins spoofing now on VB claiming there were "several thousand there". I was there, Joe, and there was never several thousands. VB was there recording the interviews shortly after a feeder march arrived (circa 6.30ish) so he was there when the crowd was at its biggest, and even then there were no more than 400. VB has described it as "a couple of hundred" also.

hmmm

All those Shinners and associated leftie nutcases hoping that today would be the day the ordinary people would follow them to create a marxist people's republic and no-one turned up. You have to admire their endless childlike optimism.

Halo

Pointless gesture politics. As I've said before we're not Greek, we're not French and we're not stupid. We're (generally) bright enough to know that there is no real alternative on offer.
Yawn.

constitutionus

least i get to see it now.

RTE couldnt be bothered in any real depth.

Dunlin3

Joe Higgins spoofing now on VB claiming there were "several thousand there". I was there, Joe, and there was never several thousands. VB was there recording the interviews shortly after a feeder march arrived (circa 6.30ish) so he was there when the crowd was at its biggest, and even then there were no more than 400. VB has described it as "a couple of hundred" also.
Just heard that, but you can never believe a word that comes out of Joes's mouth.

talkies

I was going after work but went home when I found out my water was going to be off from 7 o'clock.

Expose the lot of them

I was there at about 3.30pm and there were more Gardai than protesters. Later they locked the gates and nobody was allowed out on the Kildare Street side, staff, visitors and media had to leave via the Merrion exit.

neiphin

i remember that

constitutionus

I was going after work but went home when I found out my water was going to be off from 7 o'clock.

check you co councils website man, some of them are differnt than reported in the news.

south dublin is from 8pm to 6am for instance.

not much different i know but there you go.

Letmein

There seems to be plenty of noise anyway - Vinnie said earlier that they prevented him from doing the broadcast he wanted - was there trouble?

New Threads

Most Replies