• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why didn’t the Irish state declare war on Germany when they attacked us?

louis bernard

Article 2 of the constitution of Ireland that was in force in 1941 asserted that "the whole island of Ireland, its islands and the territorial seas" formed a single "national territory", while Article 3 asserted that the Oireachtas had a right "to exercise jurisdiction over the whole of that territory". When our territory (Belfast) was deliberately bombed by the Nazis in 1941 why did’nt the Irish state declare war on the agressor Nazi Germany? After all they deliberately attacked what our constitution stated was our territory.

Ulster-Lad

I am sure there is a tribunal looking into the bombing. We should get a report anytime now.

drummed

We should have went over and levelled Berlin.

They only attacked the Brit installations so it suited us fine? Why would we complain?

louis bernard

We should have went over and levelled Berlin.

They only attacked the Brit installations so it suited us fine? Why would we complain?
“Brit installations” what are you talking about? 900 people were killed and over 1500 injured.

dresden8

We didn't declare war on the UK when they bombed Dublin and Monaghan.

Should we have?

drummed

Ignorant comment.
It was a long time ago. I thought you might be over it by now?
The OP wants to know why we failed to declare war on the most powerful army on earth in 1941.
What could we have done, thrown spuds at them? Its a silly question as the reasons we did nothing are well understood and have featured in secondary schools since the war ended. The questioner must have been out that day?
I look forward to his next thread of ground breaking historical research.............'Was Moses for real...........or what?'

Poster, go to a library (big building with books in it) and borrow something on Irish history.

dresden8

The OP wants to know why we failed to declare war on the most pwerful army on earth in 1941.
What could we have done, thrown spuds at them? Its a silly question as the reasons we did nothing are well understood and have featured in secondary schools since the war ended. The questioner must have been out that day?
I look forward to his next thread of ground breaking historical research.............'Was Moses for real...........or what?'
Should the Passage Tomb Builders have declared war on Egypt for Pharoahs treatment of the Jews?

lies

Twitter
yes
I'm think we should declare war against Nazi Germany now.... maybe build some time machines - I think Steorn has a few lying around - and go back to '41 and blow the crap outta them!

dresden8

I'm think we should declare war against Nazi Germany now.... maybe build some time machines - I think Steorn has a few lying around - and go back to '41 and blow the crap outta them!
We still don't have any tanks or effective air force, and a piss poor navy.

Maybe we should have declared war on Russia when they invaded Georgia. To redeem our honour like.

drummed

We still don't have any tanks or effective air force, and a piss poor navy.

Maybe we should have declared war on Russia when they invaded Georgia. To redeem our honour like.
Fret not. Our chance will come. We're waiting for Monte Carlo to invade Andorra.

We've been stocking up on road grit for years. And deadly snow melting salt.

dresden8

Fret not. Our chance will come. We're waiting for Monte Carlo to invade Andorra.
Maybe British army squaddies will desert from Afghanistan and join the Irish army. You know, make the "moral" choice.

james5001

Is it too late to declare it now?

Spanner Island

If time travel is possible at any time in our existence then it is possible at all times in our existence...

Trouble is those who travel back won't want to mess with the past as it could open up a whole can of worms for them and us...

Sometimes I think some UFOs could well be time travelers determined not to be discovered...

Then again, that's what Back to the Future was about... innit?

Ulster-Lad

The OP wants to know why we failed to declare war on the most powerful army on earth in 1941.

Poster, go to a library (big building with books in it) and borrow something on Irish history.
The point is that Nationalists are engaged in a reconciliation process in the North in an effort to Unite this country again. Comments such as yours do not help.