• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Why do children not get a vote?

Asparagus

Serious question.
Why is the voting age set at 18?

It seems odd that 25% of the population are excluded from democratic rights.

controller

Because they are children?????

controller

Yes. What is the "bar" that under 18s do not measure up to?
Emotional Intelligence
Sophisticated Understanding
At what age do they get to vote?? 5 or 6 or 10 or 12 etc
Do we allow them to be elected to the Dail

Asparagus

Emotional Intelligence
Sophicated Understanding
Much the argument against women's rights to vote back in the day.

But, do we have a test for emotional intelligence or sophisticated understanding? Are adults with mental health issues excluded on these grounds, are people with dementia?

D

Dylan2010

Serious question.

so you want infants to be able to vote as they make up part of the "25%" ?

controller

Chill.........take some drugs......

Asparagus

so you want infants to be able to vote as they make up part of the "25%" ?
It's jut a discussion.
I'm not on a crusade here... But If I were I'd say 7, given that you know, or should know, right from wrong.

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
I support giving children of all ages the right to vote. Of course infants would not be competent or able to exercise that right but neither are, say, alzheimer's sufferers, and nobody suggests excluding them legally from voting.

Children are treated appallingly by Irish society. Any hope that their needs will be prioritised while they are politically voiceless is naive.

Many opposing responses seem to think that rolling their eyes and huffing is an adequate response:

Really? Serious question?
Because they are children?????
Chill.........take some drugs......
They think that they are so self-evidently right that they don't need to make an opposing argument; in reality, they are just showing the poverty of their thought.

The few arguments that people can cobble together against removing the age bar are simply identical to all the arguments that were made against women, blacks, catholics and tenants voting.

Emotional Intelligence
Sophicated Understanding
They were all wrong then, if they have stopped being wrong now, why do we still allow women, blacks, catholics, and tenants to vote?

Could we not trust the electorate with that?

D

Dylan2010

It's jut a discussion.
I'm not on a crusade here... But If I were I'd say 7, given that you know, or should know, right from wrong.
at a push it could be 16 but wouldnt see the point of earlier. When people are voting they are voting as workers, parents etc. Kids also have guardians and are deemed not to be fully legally competent. In any other sphere where there are adults and kids involved say a school where the parents might have the opportunity to vote on issues, it would be the parents that vote in the kids interests not the kids themselves.

Asparagus

at a push it could be 16 but wouldnt see the point of earlier. When people are voting they are voting as workers, parents etc. Kids also have guardians and are deemed not to be fully legally competent. In any other sphere where there are adults and kids involved say a school where the parents might have the opportunity to vote on issues, it would be the parents that vote in the kids interests not the kids themselves.
So are children of teenagers discriminated against? They have no voice as their parents cannot vote.
Unemployed people vote so not sure about the workers bit.
Children pay tax on income and expenditure so why no representation?

I understand what your saying about school etc, but a proxy vote on wider issues seems unjust.

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
at a push it could be 16 but wouldnt see the point of earlier. (1)When people are voting they are voting as workers, parents etc. (2)Kids also have guardians and are deemed not to be fully legally competent. In any other sphere where there are adults and kids involved say a school where the parents might have the opportunity to vote on issues, (3)it would be the parents that vote in the kids interests not the kids themselves.
Do you lack self or political awareness to such a degree that you don't realise that these are a carbon-copy of the arguments against women voting, against black people voting in, say Rhodesia or the southern US?

Not only that, on the simple factual point you are wrong. The effects of government policies last for decades. Many older adult voters will be long dead before they are worked out; but take someone born in 1990, they had no say in the 2002 general election, they are now living with the consequences of that short-termism.

Why should someone aged 12 be excluded from voting when someone who is 92 not, when the former has a far greater stake in the right choice being made? Why should short-termism be given such priority?

Monday Monday

It's just a throwback to older prejudices.

It's not even internally consistent. The state allows people to take responsibility for their own sexual activity at 17 yet doesn't allow them to take responsibility for their political activity until 18. When you are capable of reproduction in any other species you are considered an adult.

I'm probably just showing my own prejudices when I say it should be 16, I reckon people are young adults and aware of the world by then.

Having said that my seven-year-old is as politically sophisticated as the average Fianna Fail voter.

"Who wants sweets?"

"Me Me Me!"

D

Dylan2010

Do you lack self or political awareness to such a degree that you don't realise that these are a carbon-copy of the arguments against women voting, against black people voting in, say Rhodesia or the southern US?

Not only that, on the simple factual point you are wrong. The effects of government policies last for decades. Many older adult voters will be long dead before they are worked out; but take someone born in 1990, they had no say in the 2002 general election, they are now living with the consequences of that short-termism.

Why should someone aged 12 be excluded from voting when someone who is 92 not, when the former has a far greater stake in the right choice being made? Why should short-termism be given such priority?
the arguments might have been the same to keep women from voting but we dont expect kids to be treated equally as adults anymore then I expect my kids to get a "vote" in how our personal finance are spent. if you can show me 12 year olds that can buy a car, a house, get their own passports, get married then one could argue that there is a meaningful emergent group of self actualised young adults that deserve a vote but otherwise as much as it matters the status quo on this particular issue is adequate.
personally I'd prefer if voting was restricted to people who pay income tax :D

IbrahaimMohamad

Serious question.

We should allow trustees such as parents to vote for children to build a real demorcacy. Our State is borrowing huge sums for current expenditure and leaving our children with the debt.

We probably have over 1,000,000 children under 18. Allowing parents to vote for them would change political priorities!

We do not allow Children to contract other than for necessities, and I would be against allowing them to vote.

Just as we arrange for trusts to take tcare of the property of minors so too should we have trusts to vote for them. Essentially allow parents to vote for them!

Popular Threads

Most Replies