Why Do Fine Gael Not Properly Vet Their Election Candidates?

Big Phil

Why do Fine Gael not properly vet their election candidates? I see Leo Varadkar has been forced to admit that Fine Gael do not properly vet their election candidates in advance of elections. Surely anybody wanting to stand for Fine Gael or any other party in an election should at least be Garda vetted before being cleared to stand for public office?

wombat

Surely anybody wanting to stand for Fine Gael or any other party in an election should at least be Garda vetted before being cleared to stand for public office?
Can't see Sinn Féin going along with that. :)

Baron von Biffo

Why do Fine Gael not properly vet their election candidates? I see Leo Varadkar has been forced to admit that Fine Gael do not properly vet their election candidates in advance of elections. Surely anybody wanting to stand for Fine Gael or any other party in an election should at least be Garda vetted before being cleared to stand for public office?

Murphy was vetted. She was found to have two X chromosomes. What more do you want?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Most members of the Oireachtas are known to the Gardai. Fact. :)

Dame_Enda

I dont support excluding diverse voices from candidate selection just to comply with some artificial political consensus to make the globalists happy.

I would support vetting to stop criminals getting party candidates though.

In Iran they have a Guardians Council that vets candidates, in practice to stop liberal reformists running in enough numbers to take control of parliament. Let's be careful this isnt what's in store for Ireland.

gijoe

If the commentary from Ivan Yates this evening and the reporter down there is anything more than anecdotal she would have a shot as the message they were saying from Wexford is along the lines of 'she only said what we are thinking'.

PS I know you have to make allowance for Yates and Newstalk being an FG inclined station.

Dame_Enda

If the commentary from Ivan Yates this evening and the reporter down there is anything more than anecdotal she would have a shot as the message they were saying from Wexford is along the lines of 'she only said what we are thinking'.

PS I know you have to make allowance for Yates and Newstalk being an FG inclined station.
It may be FG inclined but Newstalk is also very pro-immigration. However, Yates is just telling the truth I think about what many feel in Wexford, and he is an expert on the constituency as a former TD. From what I can see, Newstalk has given Murphy a much harder time than LCL.

I don't know how this constituency will go. Governments historically tend to lose by elections, though the FG-Labour coalition broke that pattern at times in the 2011-7 govt. There hasnt been a by election in Wexford for decades.

Right now I'm going to vote for Murphy despite hardly ever voting FG. My main reason for doing so though is that I largely agree with her remarks, and want to see more diversity of opinion on migration in Dail Eireann, particularly in political parties. I will give my 2nd preference probably to the Irish Freedom Party, but only because I agree with them on migration but not on Irexit.

Last edited:

hiding behind a poster

Why do Fine Gael not properly vet their election candidates? I see Leo Varadkar has been forced to admit that Fine Gael do not properly vet their election candidates in advance of elections.
That's a misrepresentation of what Varadkar said. He said that FG don't have a standard vetting system for candidates, which is very different to saying that FG don't vet candidates.
Surely anybody wanting to stand for Fine Gael or any other party in an election should at least be Garda vetted before being cleared to stand for public office?
That's much more serious - an extremely sinister suggestion. I assume from the links provided in your OP that you're referring to Verona Murphy, and that suggests that you'd like to see whatever viewpoints are deemed to be unacceptable or unfashionable in the mass media, to be also deemed to be bars to individuals standing for elections. That is hugely undemocratic. It's for the people to decide who represents them, not the Gardai or the media. Indeed the whole point of elections is that the people decide whose views they find acceptable and whose they don't. Furthermore, even if you were to see any merit in your suggestion (which I don't), who'd decide what form this vetting would take? And wouldn't it just result in every candidate saying the same things about everything?
We have a vetting system already. Verona Murphy will be vetted in four days' time, by the only people with the right to do so - the voters in her constituency. It's for them to decide.

hiding behind a poster

I dont support excluding diverse voices from candidate selection just to comply with some artificial political consensus to make the globalists happy.

I would support vetting to stop criminals getting party candidates though.
Why?

gijoe

It may be FG inclined but Newstalk is also very pro-immigration. However, Yates is just telling the truth I think about what many feel in Wexford, and he is an expert on the constituency as a former TD. From what I can see, Newstalk has given Murphy a much harder time than LCL.

I don't know how this constituency will go. Governments historically tend to lose by elections, though the FG-Labour coalition broke that pattern at times in the 2011-7 govt. There hasnt been a by election in Wexford for decades.

Right now I'm going to vote for Murphy despite hardly ever voting FG. My main reason for doing so though is that I largely agree with her remarks, and want to see more diversity of opinion on migration in Dail Eireann, particularly in political parties.
You could give the IFP your No. 1 and Murphy your No.2 as another means of doing the same thing without giving FG your No.1 vote.

SuirView

That's a misrepresentation of what Varadkar said. He said that FG don't have a standard vetting system for candidates, which is very different to saying that FG don't vet candidates.

That's much more serious - an extremely sinister suggestion. I assume from the links provided in your OP that you're referring to Verona Murphy, and that suggests that you'd like to see whatever viewpoints are deemed to be unacceptable or unfashionable in the mass media, to be also deemed to be bars to individuals standing for elections. That is hugely undemocratic. It's for the people to decide who represents them, not the Gardai or the media. Indeed the whole point of elections is that the people decide whose views they find acceptable and whose they don't. Furthermore, even if you were to see any merit in your suggestion (which I don't), who'd decide what form this vetting would take? And wouldn't it just result in every candidate saying the same things about everything?
We have a vetting system already. Verona Murphy will be vetted in four days' time, by the only people with the right to do so - the voters in her constituency. It's for them to decide.
Maria Bailey from poor FG suffered from the same "vetting system".
You want Maria on the FG ticket,
What did you do about it?
Waster

Popular Threads

Most Replies