• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Why do Gen Emigration need to tell Ireland how "over" it they are?

Disillusioned democrat

Does anyone get the point of these weekly (?) Generation Emigration articles in the IT?

Every so often they pop up on my FB feed so I read them and then the comments, but 90% of them seem to be by uber-cool 20-somethings so intent in being "over" Ireland that they feel the need to tell everyone in Ireland.

It's great for this lady that she was able to get over "pining" for Ireland, but the condescending tone in this and other related articles is beginning to grate on my nerves.

30 years ago - long before RyanAir, Skype, FaceBook, etc., most of my class and I, most of my extended families kids, had to emigrate to work. It was tough and it was nice to be able to associate with a familiar network on arrival.

The preachy-judgey tone in these articles seems to ignore the fact that now London, or pretty much most other places in the Western world is so well connected to "home" that it's easy not to miss it, your friends, siblings and parents.

I remember my first stint in Saudi in the early 90s - it took 2 weeks for a letter to arrive and you couldn't just make a call home without booking it in advance. Now I can video Skype friend still there - completely mind-blowing.

I don

redacted

The fact that this grates on you clearly shows that you have a self-esteem issue. I couldn't give 2 figs whether these people are over Ireland or not, I mean who gives a $hit?

You seem to be permanently browsing for offence.

Disillusioned democrat

The fact that this grates on you clearly shows that you have a self-esteem issue. I couldn't give 2 figs whether these people are over Ireland or not, I mean who gives a $hit?

You seem to be permanently browsing for offence.
Yup that's me - low self-esteem.

On the other hand, at least I don't just browse to cause offence:D

Seriously though - the actual generation my kids are going to be seem to be very needy and that worries me.

redacted

Seriously though - the actual generation my kids are going to be seem to be very needy and that worries me.
Genuinely not trying to offend you but I'm genuinely perplexed at why it would bother you to the extent it does.

Nothing is prescribed for your or my kids. We, as their parents, are the greatest influence on their lives. How they'll turned out isn't predetermined. It's down to us. Do not use the media as a barometer for anything.

sic transit

There is a degree of truth to this but they also seem to have a chronic lack of coping and practical skills. The IT thing trundles on because they continue to get a response to it and unearth "good" stories. Most people have no real interest in emigrants' stories. It's not out of malice. They just can't grasp a reality that is far from their own and they lose interest pretty quickly.

Disillusioned democrat

Genuinely not trying to offend you but I'm genuinely perplexed at why it would bother you to the extent it does.

Nothing is prescribed for your or my kids. We, as their parents, are the greatest influence on their lives. How they'll turned out isn't predetermined. It's down to us. Do not use the media as a barometer for anything.
To be honest I think it disrespects the 400k Irish people who emigrated in the 40s, 50s and 60s to miserable conditions, earned to remit money back home to keep this kip afloat. They really emigrated not just traveled.

In my (potentially overactive imagination) I suspect the lady in this article would look down her nose on a 70 year old retired labourer from Ireland who has never made it home if he bumped into her on the streets of London.

Henry94.

I don't think things have to bother someone particularly to think they are worth discussing. It's good to see the range of topics broadening out. If you don't like to topic then ignore it.

tsarbomb

I lived abroad for years and one thing I have noticed is that many Irish people who live abroad tend to be very frustrated with regard their home country. These articles in the IT are obvious manifestations of this frustration felt by the casual emigrees. In my opinion these articles reveal more about the insecurities and narcasism of the authors than it does about either Ireland or the country in which the author lives in.

wombat

Does anyone get the point of these weekly (?) Generation Emigration articles in the IT?

Every so often they pop up on my FB feed so I read them and then the comments, but 90% of them seem to be by uber-cool 20-somethings so intent in being "over" Ireland that they feel the need to tell everyone in Ireland.
You would think that emigration only started in the last 5 years. Its probably just an extension of the Facebook fad of posting whenever you go for a sh1t.

GDPR

I lived abroad for years and one thing I have noticed is that many Irish people who live abroad tend to be very frustrated with regard their home country. These articles in the IT are obvious manifestations of this frustration felt by the casual emigrees. In my opinion these articles reveal more about the insecurities and narcasism of the authors than it does about either Ireland or the country in which the author lives in.
I think its natural that people who have been forced into exile by the criminality of the régime here should be angry.

wombat

To be honest I think it disrespects the 400k Irish people who emigrated in the 40s, 50s and 60s to miserable conditions, earned to remit money back home to keep this kip afloat. They really emigrated not just traveled.
Pretty much my opinion but its the IT who have chosen to make a series of it. Its a bit like a show RTE did about a group partying in Vancouver, made much better television than showing a fitter freezing his nuts off in Fort McMurray.:lol:

redacted

I don't think things have to bother someone particularly to think they are worth discussing. It's good to see the range of topics broadening out. If you don't like to topic then ignore it.
So we only discuss topics we agree with? That's not going to help too much with broadening the issues being discussed is it?

Disillusioned democrat

So we only discuss topics we agree with? That's not going to help too much with broadening the issues being discussed is it?
No - I think the point is "why get on a thread you don't give two figs about" just to be critical? Agree, disagree, that's fine - say you have no opinion but hover around to be offensive - why bother?

Congalltee

They don't pay taxes. They don't vote. They don't matter.
They'll only be news if they die in an accident or shooting.

If, however, they return to the country which educated them with the benefit of multiculturalism, cosmopolitan lifestyle - it would be great to see them. If they come back every Christmas and complain about things changing or not being like x country, they can be ignored.

Anyway net emigration is over.

redacted

In my (potentially overactive imagination) I suspect the lady in this article would look down her nose on a 70 year old retired labourer from Ireland who has never made it home if he bumped into her on the streets of London.
I don't know, that comes across as a sort Grandad "back in my day" type of thing. The struggles people experience are relative to their respective times. Should we stop giving out about house prices because our ancestors lived in caves?

redacted

No - I think the point is "why get on a thread you don't give two figs about" just to be critical? Agree, disagree, that's fine - say you have no opinion but hover around to be offensive - why bother?
How am I being offensive? I've already stated that's not my intention. And please don't play the shrinking violet: you're well able to dish it out yourself.

tsarbomb

I think its natural that people who have been forced into exile by the criminality of the régime here should be angry.
Very few have been forced into exile in any meaningful sense of the word. People who claim that they have been "exiled" are simply projecting their own failure in life.

Polly Ticks

I don't have an IT subscription, but it seems the article is about someone that to emigrated London..

I mean seriously.. London FFS.. it's only over the road.. a strong fart emitted on the Irish east coast could propel you there..

"OOh tell us yer strange tales of this mysterious "London" of which you speak" SMH

Henry94.

It was more of a personal attack than a disagreement as I read it.

realistic1

They don't pay taxes. They don't vote. They don't matter.
They'll only be news if they die in an accident or shooting.

If, however, they return to the country which educated them with the benefit of multiculturalism, cosmopolitan lifestyle - it would be great to see them. If they come back every Christmas and complain about things changing or not being like x country, they can be ignored.

Anyway net emigration is over.
"net emigration is over" for now. Check back in with this assertion in 5 years time.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies