• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why do people commit suicide?

G

Kieran Keohane's book Collision Cultures looks at the issue of suicide to a certain extent. He highlights the emergence of what he terms 'rurban' (rural and urban) communities - Middleton being a prime example - and 'glocal' contexts, where the local and global collide in a most confusing manner.

He highlights too that suicide epidemics have always been a feature of societies going through rapid change, such as at the time of the Industrial Revolution in England. The sense of 'limitlessness' experienced by young people entering this new society leads to a state of anomie, of listlessness, of what Durkheim called "a state of unbridled selfishness". The breakdown of mechanical solidarity and its replacement by organic solidarity, allied with changing belief systems (the collapse of traditional institutions which offered authority and moral boundaries such as the Church, for example), render young people lost, and cut them adrift from older potential role-models.

This is a rather crude synthesis of the sociological explanation currently doing the rounds at UCC.

Rapisco

asteroid said:
Kieran Keohane's book Collision Cultures looks at the issue of suicide to a certain extent. He highlights the emergence of what he terms 'rurban' (rural and urban) communities - Middleton being a prime example - and 'glocal' contexts, where the local and global collide in a most confusing manner.

He highlights too that suicide epidemics have always been a feature of societies going through rapid change, such as at the time of the Industrial Revolution in England. The sense of 'limitlessness' experienced by young people entering this new society leads to a state of anomie, of listlessness, of what Durkheim called "a state of unbridled selfishness". The breakdown of mechanical solidarity and its replacement by organic solidarity, allied with changing belief systems (the collapse of traditional institutions which offered authority and moral boundaries such as the Church, for example), render young people lost, and cut them adrift from older potential role-models.

This is a rather crude synthesis of the sociological explanation currently doing the rounds at UCC.
Interesting to an extent but ..... a load of old codswallop really.

Suicide is not a new phenomonen and is somewhat indiscriminate.

"Glocal" :roll: "Rurban" :shock: :roll:

david

Why do people commit suicide?
Janey Mac, what a question. If we knew, then there might not be as many.

I'm sure there must be ten times as many reasons for suicide as there are suicides.

I can't help thinking that if equality were a norm, suicide would be less likely.

G

JCSkinner said:
Spot on, David. And you might specifically state, equality for young men, since they make up the bulk of our national suicide rate.
You and david have my attention. 'Equality' in what sense?

david

asteroid said:
JCSkinner said:
Spot on, David. And you might specifically state, equality for young men, since they make up the bulk of our national suicide rate.
All possible senses.

Robespierre

dan neville doesnt proclaim to know although male disenfranchisement through the (obviously good) increased independence of women and closet homosexuality or incapacity to deal with issues relating to self and feeling and others tends to be very high up on the list of making people feel suicidal. Knowing what causes them tip over into taking their own life is known only to them and/or for those who think there is an after life, whoever watches over their afterlife.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
asteroid said:
JCSkinner said:
All senses truly. Specifically, I'd look at educational performance of young men, and their ability to access their children as areas of inequality, though.

jady88

I don't know where to find the figures but apparatlly homosexuality is one of the lead causes of suicide.

In genereal though many men and young males find their role in society far to constricting. I mean self expression for many is limited to the sports field outside that you are gay for pretty much any reason.

Eddie Batt

As my two year old daughter said to me yesterday when I took her away from a playground "its not fair".We are never going to have equality of anything like it.
I hope this doesn't sound flippant -I have been touched by the suicide of someone close to me and I am still living with the effects.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
jady88 said:
I don't know where to find the figures but apparatlly homosexuality is one of the lead causes of suicide.
There aren't figures, for the specific reason that the people who could provide the data are generally dead.
I imagine that closet homosexuality is indeed a factor, but certainly not the only one, and probably not even one of the biggest ones.

jady88 said:
In genereal though many men and young males find their role in society far to constricting. I mean self expression for many is limited to the sports field outside that you are gay for pretty much any reason.
This is closer to the mark, I reckon. But it would be foolish to ignore an education system that prioritises the needs of girls. (Are we seriously suggesting that the swing towards top marks for girls in recent times is due to some innate female intellectual superiority, hithertoo untapped, or is it possible that boys are being marginalised in education today?)
And it would also be foolish to ignore the issues surrounding young men and access to their children, which is a tangible and correctible issue in today's society.

david

Equality to me is unfortunately somewhat highlighted by its obvious opposite - America and the countries, some apparently willingly, being sucked along by its values.

There's a grammatical word for this kind of opposite comparison. I'll think of it soon.

jady88

JCSkinner said:
jady88 said:
There aren't figures, for the specific reason that the people who could provide the data are generally dead.
I imagine that closet homosexuality is indeed a factor, but certainly not the only one, and probably not even one of the biggest ones.

jady88 said:
this is closer to the mark, I reckon. But it would be foolish to ignore an education system that prioritises the needs of girls. (Are we seriously suggesting that the swing towards top marks for girls in recent times is due to some innate female intellectual superiority, hithertoo untapped, or is it possible that boys are being marginalised in education today?)
And it would also be foolish to ignore the issues surrounding young men and access to their children, which is a tangible and correctible issue in today's society.
I completely agree. This may sound extreme but i believe that males are being systimatically oppresed today.

1. All aspects of male culuture are under assualt. from hunting to sports we are told that it encourages violence we are in a way being neutered by society.
2. Abuse again men is almost a bastion of freedom for some people. Little gils can wear t-shirts saying boys are upid through rocks at them. This is a signal of the lack of respect men receive.
3. Gayness, many men feel unable to express or develop their self because of fear of being seen as gay and indeed fear that to do that is gay.

The OD

jady88 said:
I completely agree. This may sound extreme but i believe that males are being systimatically oppresed today.
Where? I dont think I have ever been oppressed in my life for being a man.

jady88 said:
1. All aspects of male culuture are under assualt. from hunting to sports we are told that it encourages violence we are in a way being neutered by society.
Why is hunting an aspect of male 'culture'? Also, I do believe that quite a few women engage in sports also?

jady88 said:
2. Abuse again men is almost a bastion of freedom for some people. Little gils can wear t-shirts saying boys are upid through rocks at them. This is a signal of the lack of respect men receive.
This is a wind up yeah? Why can a man not wear a 'girls are (st)upid' t-shirt? Would they be arrested or something? Also, did the little girls in school throw rocks at you? What of the Lynx ads that protray women (to some) as sex objects? Its a bit of fun and most women aknowledge it as such. Women can have as many 'men are dim' adverts as they like, its only an ad and I cant see anyone of sound mind being offended.

jady88 said:
3. Gayness, many men feel unable to express or develop their self because of fear of being seen as gay and indeed fear that to do that is gay.
Whats to fear about being perceived as being 'gay'? Thats more a personal problem in the individual than a societal problem?

I couldnt care less if someone called me gay, straight or other because ultimately, I dont perceive it as an insult.

So in essence, what you are saying is that YOU feel this way about the world. Must be cramped in that closet Jady!

:wink:

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
You don't think that gay-related terms are used to cause offence in schools? You don't think that kids take those terms as the abuse they are meant to be?
You're on a sticky wicket bringing up advertising incidentally. Men are routinely depicted as fools, stupid or idiotic in the vast majority of them.
I'm not suggesting that TV advertising is causing suicide. But the erosion of confidence it encourages in young boys is unlikely to be helping.

Kerrygold

Irish mens inability to confront their emotions is a major factor, IMO.

Irish men, for some reason, seem to be unable to open up to friends or family when they are having personal difficulties, whether the problems are related to finance, relationships, bullying, sexuality, alcohol, drugs.

Depression is also a major factor. When it comes to all medical related problems, men are a lot slower than women to seek medical advice. Plus they don't seem to view depression as a medical problem, when in fact it is. Instead of seeking help, many turn to drink and this compounds the problem.

Perhaps a government funded campaign (similar to the campaign to halt road deaths) to tackle the stigma that surrounds depression would be worthwhile.

Eddie Batt

I have thought a lot about the issue of suicide and think in many reasons the reasons for suicide are similar to the reasons for the increase in cocaine usage.A money obsessed society with a lot of emptiness in its very heart and soul.
I read an interview with Emily o Reilly talking about why she returned to the church and it definitely hit home to me.I could see a lot of people especially those with young famillies returning to the church in the next few years.

Tess

JCSkinner said:
You don't think that gay-related terms are used to cause offence in schools? You don't think that kids take those terms as the abuse they are meant to be?
You're on a sticky wicket bringing up advertising incidentally. Men are routinely depicted as fools, stupid or idiotic in the vast majority of them.
I'm not suggesting that TV advertising is causing suicide. But the erosion of confidence it encourages in young boys is unlikely to be helping.
JC - you want to try being a woman - if you think men are insulted by tv advertising. :x

Tess

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com

Tess

JCSkinner said:
It may be patronising and offensive to repeatedly see women depicted as sex objects, it may indeed encourage young girls to feel bad about their attractiveness.
But frankly, the damage done by derogatory depictions of men in advertising to young males is not to be so lightly dismissed, Tess.
See here:
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/focus/background_briefings/Taste+and+Decency+-+the+depiction+of+men.htm
But JC, alot of men would pay good money to have a woman stand on them with stelettos - string them with nettles and put them on a dog lead. So maybe the have themselves to blame :wink:

Tess