• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Why do people hate the INDO?

Gladstone

I've met one, yes ONE person, who read the indo with respect, EVERYONE ELSE I know seems to have pure contempt for it.

Why?

I head one person describe it as "a broadsheet tabloid with more trash than the Sun could have wet dreams about"

I know they went abit overboard with the SF/IRA stuff but is there another reason they are so despised as nobody I know who hates it is actually a SF supporter?

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
The Independent itself isn't that bad. It occasionally has some interesting stories, but only Irish ones, as its foreign coverage (IMO) is quite poor.

The Sunday Independent is utter crap, not only because of its laughable political bias and its incestuous self-regard, but because a lot of the 'columnists' who write in it (and, let's face it, most of these people are just columnists, and are certainly not journalists in any meaningful sense) are just very bad writers. Gwen Halley, I'm looking at you!

However, if you like 'Glen or Glenda' Gilson, stick with it.

smiffy

Website
Gladstone said:
Whats the bias towards politically?
I think its coverage of Sinn Féin is absolutely biased, unbalanced and utterly lacking in credibility. That's not to say that there's an onus of the paper to give Sinn Féin (or any other party or group) the benefit of the doubt on things. However, the use of terms like 'Sinn Féin/IRA' should have no place in what are supposed to be straight news stories (as opposed to opinion pieces).

jmcc

smiffy said:
The Sunday Independent is utter crap, not only because of its laughable political bias and its incestuous self-regard, but because a lot of the 'columnists' who write in it (and, let's face it, most of these people are just columnists, and are certainly not journalists in any meaningful sense) are just very bad writers. Gwen Halley, I'm looking at you!
Makes one wonder what you are doing with that picture. :) Gwen isn't the worst of the columnists in the Sindo. Though most of them are of the Polly Filler variety. The Sindo is not really a newspaper but is just a sewer for the views of that Tony O'Reilly.

Regards...jmcc

DOD

smiffy said:
jmcc said:
Makes one wonder what you are doing with that picture. :)
Is she hot?
Well judging by her photo, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating a breakfast roll. I'd have to gag her stupid right-wing moron mouth first though. (And hey, since she couldn't eat it, I could steal her breakfast roll)

smiffy

Website
DOD said:
Well judging by her photo, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating a breakfast roll. I'd have to gag her stupid right-wing moron mouth first though. (And hey, since she couldn't eat it, I could steal her breakfast roll)
I have a ball-gag knocking around that you can borrow, if you like. Make sure you wash it thoroughly before returning it, though.

DOD

Gladstone said:
Yes there headlines on SF were pretty alarmist alright.
I actually skimmed through the front page in the shop this morning (ironically enough a SF councillor was beside me) to see how many headlines were on the republican movement. I actually thought they had let a full front page go without mentioning them, until I saw that eejit O' Connor had an article on Jim Monaghan.

DOD

smiffy said:
DOD said:
I have a ball-gag knocking around that you can borrow, if you like. Make sure you wash it thoroughly before returning it, though.
Nah, a bit of masking tape will do fine.

Dubliner

Gladstone said:
I've met one, yes ONE person, who read the indo with respect, EVERYONE ELSE I know seems to have pure contempt for it.

Why?
Take the Liam Lawlor story: Nobody was fired, nobody resigned and the customers who were sold false journalism did not get a refund.

The Indo is an example of rip-off Ireland.

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
I think, (or at least hope), that most of the Sindo's readership (I include myself in that number :oops: ), continue to buy the paper because they like a good laugh on a Sunday, something to relax with that's not too strenuous for the hung over brain. Personally I always find that reading the articles by such cutting edge 'journalists' as Julia Maloney gives me a good boost for the day as I laugh at the ridiculousness of a world in which she can find employment of that kind. As regards the other writers for the paper, if ever you are feeling in doubt about your intelligence and/or sanity, pick up a copy of the Sindo and read the articles by Gwen Halley, Brendan O'Connor and Barry Egan. If you conclude that they are idiots, you're doing ok.

Dubliner

smiffy said:
Dubliner said:
Take the Liam Lawlor story: Nobody was fired, nobody resigned and the customers who were sold false journalism did not get a refund.

The Indo is an example of rip-off Ireland.
Not really. Those same customers continued to buy the paper the following week (afaik).
That does'nt mean they're not getting ripped off by an over-priced, shoddy product.

St Disibod

Noone got disciplined over the Liam Lawlor debacle. Yet there was hell to pay when their industrial affairs correspondant wrote articles critical of Irish Ferries' management.

Why? Because board members of the Indo also sit on the board that oversees Irish Ferries.

Journalism is meant to report things that are in the public interest, that the public should know about. The Indo team seems more committed to manipulation than propagation.

jmcc

St Disibod said:
Journalism is meant to report things that are in the public interest, that the public should know about. The Indo team seems more committed to manipulation than propagation.
I find it fascinating that all that hot air about a Press Council dissipated so quickly when the minister for justice was leaking state papers to his friend in the O'Reilly press. But then the endorsement of the Sindo and the Indo might be critical in the survival of the PDs. The venom with which O'Reilly's papers treated the FG/Labour coalition was a good example of why a press council was needed.

Regards...jmcc

Gladstone

I asked what a press council was before on a thead and that thread go ZERO replies..would anyone care to explain>